The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch sensitive gums?

Default Force Fetch sensitive gums?

Honestly I don't know what todo I'm so disappointed. My dog was doing absolutely great with force fetch his gums are red and if I even touch his bottom teeth he jerks away or if I touch the bottom I his chin he jerks away. We're forcing to pile and he's even doing great with it. He ALWAYS delivers to hand never drops it and all of a sudden today he kept dropping the bumper at my feet I'd eat pinch and say fetch and HOLD but he won't hold it or long he just lets it slowly slowly slip further out of his mouth and then he drops it and then we repeat. Guys please help should I hold off on it for awhile and see what I an do about his gums or is that even it.

Any time your dog has a physical condition that interferes with training or is exacerbated by the training you should back off until the condition clears.
    David Didier, GA

How do I know for sure it's the sensitive gums causing it? Take him to the vet?

Just give him 2-3 days off. Lot less expensive than a vet visit.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Just give him 2-3 days off. Lot less expensive than a vet visit.
    Ok should I go ahead and buy him some stuff to help with the guns and teeth instead of vet?

thanks for the help man

Don't know enough about his condition to suggest he needs meds...
    David Didier, GA

D4L,

My personal rule is "when in doubt, go see the vet"

You can always train later.

Make sure your dog is healthy, then focus on training later.

There are so many unknowns and unanswered questions that nobody will be able to accurately help your dog based upon a few sentences written here.

Good luck! Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

My bad guys. He is 14 months old. So he's got all his permanent teeth.

If his gums are a different color than normal and he's that hand-shy, and he's finished teething, I'd have him looked at immediately.

I don't recall whose dog, but someone had a dog get a roof of a mouth impaled on a broken duck wing during a retrieve. The dog showed immediate reaction, but overcame and kept working. Eventually, it turned into a nasty infection. (at least this is my memory's version of the story)

When in doubt....go see the vet. My opinion... Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Well this happened when we starting teaching fetch will the collar. He kept acting like his teeth wee hurting very bad an gums were bleeding. We got past that. Just today it came back he's been holding for running FTP then all of a sudden today he was dropping the bumper at my feet and I'd tell him to hold and he could only hold for a certain amount of time before it would slowly slowly start to slide further out of his mouth then he would just drop it. At the end of the session I checked his gums ad they were super red and wouldn't let me touch his chin or bottom teeth. Now his gums are still dark pink by his teeth and won't let me touch. So I'm definitely going to take him to the vet. I really dont think after all this training he would just start disobeying me and ignore me on holding. I mean I got a new dog and all but I don't think he'd be that mad to quit in me haha but I'm gonna take him to the vet Monday guys and give him a couple days off thanks lol