The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: Force Fetch sensitive gums?

  1. #21
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    If you're gonna train up you should get used to getting blown off once in awhile.

    What was that sore from on the dogs jowl in the pic (maybe on the other site)?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackasmollases View Post
    Just giving ideas, really hope it is nothing. I'm kinda spoiled, have one 10 min away. Maybe I skimmed over it but how old is the pup?

    Just reread the whole thing got it.
    I really hope it's nothing to man. I'm gonna go get him a Nylabone and some dental treats for him then see what the vet says. Like I said I hope it's just the gums and not him blowing me off which I doubt because I don't see why he'd hold for this long then just say screw you I ain't doing it lol ill keep ya guys updated!

    thanks!

  3. #23
    Senior Member Bridget Bodine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Winola, Pa
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    once you rule out health issues.... Have you been praising this dog enough when he does well? If it is all about force, you can get a dog pouty and sloppy and and just not very happy to be doing what you ask. Forcing a dog is NOT just about force.

    edit to add , I have had numerous dogs that would end up with bloody gums when forcing to the pile, as the go full bore, sliding through the grass, grabbing the bumper. When the dog is stressed be it from stress or heat or activity , the gums will be more red
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 12-28-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    If you're gonna train up you should get used to getting blown off once in awhile.

    What was that sore from on the dogs jowl in the pic (maybe on the other site)?
    yah I understand that but I don't see why he would randomly start doing this. Jut start dropping the bumper when he's had a great hold for a long time. Idk though. I just have him a dental treat and he seemed o have trouble eating it looked like it was hurting him but he ate it.

    And I don't know what that's from he has one on his cheek also.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    once you rule out health issues.... Have you been praising this dog enough when he does well? If it is all about force, you can get a dog pouty and sloppy and and just not very happy to be doing what you ask. Forcing a dog is NOT just about force.

    edit to add , I have had numerous dogs that would end up with bloody gums when forcing to the pile, as the go full bore, sliding through the grass, grabbing the bumper. When the dog is stressed be it from stress or heat or activity , the gums will be more red
    I give him praise everytime. I understand what you're talking about though. And he was getting bloody gums before forcing to pile he was getting them when we first started hold and was ear pinching.

  6. #26
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    yah I understand that but I don't see why he would randomly start doing this. Jut start dropping the bumper when he's had a great hold for a long time. Idk though. I just have him a dental treat and he seemed o have trouble eating it looked like it was hurting him but he ate it.

    And I don't know what that's from he has one on his cheek also.
    If he's having discolored gums and apparent mouth pain, maybe now's not the time to be giving him chew toys and dental treats.

    His desire to chew may kick in, but if there's a problem, I doubt it's going to make anything heal quicker or feel better.

    Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    If he's having discolored gums and apparent mouth pain, maybe now's not the time to be giving him chew toys and dental treats.

    His desire to chew may kick in, but if there's a problem, I doubt it's going to make anything heal quicker or feel better.

    Chris
    alright I'll get him to the vet Monday and see what they say. Hopefully good news.

  8. #28
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Training has its ups and downs. I speak as a newbie. I go from jubilation to despair on a regular basis. Dog is awesome one day, and then the next I wonder if my dog will ever amount to anything.

    Me, I would rather have a training glitch than a health glitch.

    Enjoy the journey. I hope your dog is alright.
    Renee P

  9. #29
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Dogs have a high threshold for pain. If your dog is preventing you to touch, then it is really important to seek a vet and stop everything. No chew stuff....

  10. #30
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    And I don't know what that's from he has one on his cheek also.
    [/quote]
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •