The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch sensitive gums?

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    If you're gonna train up you should get used to getting blown off once in awhile.

What was that sore from on the dogs jowl in the pic (maybe on the other site)?
    yah I understand that but I don't see why he would randomly start doing this. Jut start dropping the bumper when he's had a great hold for a long time. Idk though. I just have him a dental treat and he seemed o have trouble eating it looked like it was hurting him but he ate it.

And I don't know what that's from he has one on his cheek also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    once you rule out health issues.... Have you been praising this dog enough when he does well? If it is all about force, you can get a dog pouty and sloppy and and just not very happy to be doing what you ask. Forcing a dog is NOT just about force.

edit to add , I have had numerous dogs that would end up with bloody gums when forcing to the pile, as the go full bore, sliding through the grass, grabbing the bumper. When the dog is stressed be it from stress or heat or activity , the gums will be more red
    I give him praise everytime. I understand what you're talking about though. And he was getting bloody gums before forcing to pile he was getting them when we first started hold and was ear pinching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    yah I understand that but I don't see why he would randomly start doing this. Jut start dropping the bumper when he's had a great hold for a long time. Idk though. I just have him a dental treat and he seemed o have trouble eating it looked like it was hurting him but he ate it.

If he's having discolored gums and apparent mouth pain, maybe now's not the time to be giving him chew toys and dental treats.

His desire to chew may kick in, but if there's a problem, I doubt it's going to make anything heal quicker or feel better.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    If he's having discolored gums and apparent mouth pain, maybe now's not the time to be giving him chew toys and dental treats.

His desire to chew may kick in, but if there's a problem, I doubt it's going to make anything heal quicker or feel better.

Chris
    alright I'll get him to the vet Monday and see what they say. Hopefully good news.

Dogs have a high threshold for pain. If your dog is preventing you to touch, then it is really important to seek a vet and stop everything. No chew stuff....

[/quote]
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

No I don't I really wish I did. I'm just saying I don't see why it would be anything else but the gums. Ill hopefully find out Monday, his gums may be fine by Monday so I don't really know how this is gonna go
    Don't know how it works where you are, but if I called my vet today I would get referred to our 24-hour emergency clinic, which I have actually had to use before. I would do some calling and find somewhere and somebody that would be willing to take a look.

This is also a good reason to have your vet's cell number in your phone. I've had to make use of that one before too.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Dog is awesome one day, and then the next I wonder if my dog will ever amount to anything.
    Glad to hear it wasn't (isn't) just me.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

If it turns out NOT to be his gums then how should I go about this? Try switching bumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Where do you live? Are you working in cold and/or snowy/icy conditions?
    Im in Oklahoma. It's only about 30 degrees in the morning then 50 degrees in the evening. Not to bad.