The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch sensitive gums?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    Also, what's your opinion on just throwing some soft fun bumpers around while we figure this out?
    EDIT - The below response is something that I was working on several hours ago. It was sitting on my iPad unsent. Even though I've already posted something, I figured maybe there's a grain of value below, maybe.

Good luck and I 'm glad your dog will see the vet tomorrow. Chris

I can not evaluate what is happening since I can not see anything live.

My my opinion is that you are searching for a suggestion that will give you the fix. My concern is that you can create confusion, frustration and generally degrade good training progress by seeking quick answers from random contributors that have not seen what's happening.

Nothing is is lost by waiting til the doc evaluates health.

Who knows? There is a chance that your dog tried hard to do the right thing and somehow hurt his mouth. Maybe he hammered down on a rock or root and it hurt him and confused him. If that's the case, you will need to work through it. That is only one of an endless number do possibilities though.

Good luck. Be fair, be patient, be reasonable.

You only get one chance to do it right the first time.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Any time your dog has a physical condition that interferes with training or is exacerbated by the training you should back off until the condition clears.
    This is the first response to the OP. Imho it answered the OP completely and succinctly.
    I refuse to read the entire thread, but am always amazed how they can go on forever; when IMHO the question has been answered as well as possible

Snow in second picture? Frozen bumpers maybe causing irritation making them hard to hold. Vet check would still be number one on my list.
    Christopher Nemitz

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    This is the first response to the OP. Imho it answered the OP completely and succinctly.
    I refuse to read the entire thread, but am always amazed how they can go on forever; when IMHO the question has been answered as well as possible
    Pretty easy explanation for that....human nature dictates we only hear ...or read what we want to hear or read.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

The sore on his lip looks like the one my old dog has had since I got her. It was caused by a hot spot. It has never grown the hair back, been bald for almost 15 years now. I hope your vet helps you and your boy out!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC - 03/03/1999 - 12/05/2014 My everything!
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Gonna see the vet in a little bit. I'll keep you guys updated!

Vet said his gums are inflamed and looked like thy we're ready to bleed but other than they look fine. He gave me some antibiotics and pain meds. He said the gingivitis is causing his gums to hurt when he bites down. Give him the meds for 10 days no training until then.

Thanks for the help once again. Hopefully these meds get him feeling better so we can get back to doing what he loves to do!

Don't know if anyone brought this issue up but bumpers can get pretty hard this time of year and going through all the steps of FF with a dog that goes after the bumper pretty aggressively may be part of your cause.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    Vet said his gums are inflamed and looked like thy we're ready to bleed but other than they look fine. He gave me some antibiotics and pain meds. He said the gingivitis is causing his gums to hurt when he bites down. Give him the meds for 10 days no training until then.

Thanks for the help once again. Hopefully these meds get him feeling better so we can get back to doing what he loves to do!
    Good news! What were the sores from?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Gingivitis at 14 months old?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com