The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judges-Check your Qualifications

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Default Judges-Check your Qualifications

It is so hard to get judges line up for upcoming tests. There is so much confusion about the regulations that many don't realize that they are not current with their qualifications to continue judging.

Our club put on an AKC Judges Seminar this past summer, not heavily attended, and now suddenly there are many of our Texas judges that need one. Obviously it is too late for any club to get one in before the Spring tests begin. So the pool gets even more shallow.

Ever since the judges tests were put into effect, there are fewer and fewer seminars being given, therefor fewer new judges being put on the list, because those to run the clubs don't need a seminar, therefore they don't bother to schedule one.

Everyone wants to play the game but fewer and fewer are helping to keep the judging pool refreshed.
    Are we going to allow our sport to collapse because of lack of new and current judges?

Getting off my soap box for now, but if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 12-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Interesting..

I am curious!

What qualifications are needed to Judge AKC tests?

Just the cliff Notes please...... Hard for some of us to decipher the rule book.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Is it also true that if a club sponsors a seminar there is a minimum requirement for attendees??? So if the club gets say 19 and the cut off is 20 they have to cancel??

Those are random numbers.. I don't know the actual numbers or even if this is the case...

But if it is indeed the case I would think that the governing body (AKC) may carry some of the responsibility....

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

It is complicated....

To maintain your judging status you must take a second seminar within 3 years of the first one or must have accumulated 6 master judging points. If you have had 2 seminars or have judged master at least 6 times, you must take and pass the open book judges test with a score of 90 or above. Once you have taken the test, you must take it again every 4 years to remain eligible to judge.

You also must be active in the sport by qualifying a dog at least every 7 years.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 12-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Is it also true that if a club sponsors a seminar there is a minimum requirement for attendees??? So if the club gets say 19 and the cut off is 20 they have to cancel??

Those are random numbers.. I don't know the actual numbers or even if this is the case...

But if it is indeed the case I would think that the governing body (AKC) may carry some of the responsibility....

Randy
    Yes, there is a minimum. The sponsoring club can opt to pay for empty seats.

In Texas there used to be at least one judges seminar held per year and they were always well attended. Since the judges test policy came in, many who are in charge of their clubs don't need a seminar, so they don't push to sponsor one or even spread the word when one is offered.

This doesn't bode well for the future of the sport.

The Lady

Hey Mike

The Fort Collins Retriever Club is hosting a seminar on February 22. I was thinking of attending - just for curiosity sake. Why don't you go, too?

Here is the information I received:

Fort Collins Retriever Club will be hosting an AKC Hunt Test Seminar on Saturday February 22, 2014 with Jerry Mann @ Sportsman Warehouse,
    1675 Rocky Mountain Avenue, Loveland, Co 80538 970-461-5000. If you have any questions regarding the Seminar, please contact Jeff Schoonover @ 970-227-1284
    Or e-mail @ jschoonover@verusboc.com
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

But to become a judge you must also apprentice at each level, right? It's not simple to become a judge...I wished I had done it long ago when I first got involved, because of how hard it is now I won't. I don't run HTs in general but I do help with putting one on for my club and enter it for fun, too.

it would be nice to be able to fast track judges who have experience...I find it funny that I'm not qualified to judge at least a Junior stake...oh well.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I do not intend to judge. But I am curious as to how hunt tests are judged
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I dont think I would Judge either,,At least not till we accomplish something..

It would be interesting though to attend a seminar so as to understand the comment coming from behind me,, "wheres the popcorn" when we are running..

I'll go with you Ted,, as long as you promise to keep me in line...

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

It costs the club $500 per seminar which goes to AKC for the Reps expenses. So the club needs to set a cost per seat prior to the event and then advertise it in the hope they break even. In the case where we did not cover our costs we felt it was a small price to seed the judges pool.

You do need to apprentice first and attend your first seminar. They also have additional requirements that the clubs are to evaluate of a potential judge and those requirements are not under the AKC's jurisdiction. Fore instance, they put a rule in that requires a Master judge to have handled and qualified a dog in that level within a 7 year period. This is something the AKC will not track but has placed this upon the Club to validate.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."