Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Red face

What was the requirement to become a judge 15 years ago? Are all the judges that started 15 years ago so bad they had to make a bunch of new rules, requirements and hoops to jump through to make sure that a bunch of bad judges don't start volunteering?

Im ok always the first person to raise my hand to help and volunteer when work needs to be done but, I just don't see myself doing all the apprenticing and traveling to judge rather than running my own dog. I think it's sort of leaning on having folks become judges who do not train their own dogs for the most part. If you train and run your own dog I don't see how you can have time to become qualified to judge very easily. One person who is involved can only volunteer so much time before getting stretched too thin.

I've taken the seminar and honestly did not find it to be what I expected on an educational level.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 12-29-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Great thread-
    Lets applaud the AKC as their constituents spoke and they listened.
    The Hunt Test advisory committee made suggestions about changing the credentials to judge.
    The AKC had 3 actions to take - no action or leave things as they were - stiffen the suggestion or lighten the suggestion. The AKC actually changed the requirement on time from 5 years to 7 years.
    The Rhtac is actually made up of active ht members and one lives in Texas and another in Colorado.
    I don't believe the rhtac acted in the dark either as when these mods were presented they had a long list of supporters and suggestions.

As in the FT side of our sport if you inspect the judges directory i believe we will see many folks with the qualifications to judge however only a small percentage do.

I do agree these new qualifications to judge may make it more difficult to judge however lets hope the folks that do judge understand the rules and whats expected as we try to be more consistent
    Has anyone besides me stood in front of judges that lacked knowledge, did not know the rules, did not understand what their test was doing and so on.

I believe these judge mods were aimed at education and "better" judges. Time will tell.
    The HT side of the sport definitely has more hurdles to be able to judge than the FT requirements.
    My views and mine only
    Dave Kress

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I do not intend to judge. But I am curious as to how hunt tests are judged
    Once Ted takes his seminar, you folks out there should get him qualified and start working on his campaign for MN judge. That would be way cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    What was the requirement to become a judge 15 years ago? Are all the judges that started 15 years ago so bad they had to make a bunch of new rules, requirements and hoops to jump through to make sure that a bunch of bad judges don't start volunteering?

Im ok always the first person to raise my hand to help and volunteer when work needs to be done but, I just don't see myself doing all the apprenticing and traveling to judge rather than running my own dog. I think it's sort of leaning on having folks become judges who do not train their own dogs for the most part. If you train and run your own dog I don't see how you can have time to become qualified to judge very easily. One person who is involved can only volunteer so much time before getting stretched too thin.

I've taken the seminar and honestly did not find it to be what I expected on an educational level.

Gooser is able to get education from about any source.
    There is a documentary on TV that I really enjoy about Springfield Missou. It tells the story of a typical american family that lives there ,along with many different characters in the town.. It really more reality TV I guess,, but I get a LOT out of it.. so much so,, I would consider moving there..

The show is called THE SIMPSONS... Very good...
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Were is the judges list kept? I actually used to be on it and wondered if I still was.

Never mind I found it, it appears I am off the list and would need to start over from square one.
    Last edited by Margo Ellis; 12-29-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    It is complicated....

To maintain your judging status you must take a second seminar within 3 years of the first one or must have accumulated 6 master judging points. If you have had 2 seminars or have judged master at least 6 times, you must take and pass the open book judges test with a score of 90 or above. Once you have taken the test, you must take it again every 4 years to remain eligible to judge.

You also must be active in the sport by qualifying a dog at least every 7 years.
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind taking the 2nd seminar if you don't have the Master points? Not really intereted in judging Master, but I love to watch and judge the Junior and Senior dogs.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

Quote Originally Posted by Margo Ellis View Post
    Were is the judges list kept? I actually used to be on it and wondered if I still was.
    http://www.akc.org/judges_directory/...on=performance

You can search by name or state.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    It is complicated....

To maintain your judging status you must take a second seminar within 3 years of the first one or must have accumulated 6 master judging points. If you have had 2 seminars or have judged master at least 6 times, you must take and pass the open book judges test with a score of 90 or above. Once you have taken the test, you must take it again every 4 years to remain eligible to judge.

You also must be active in the sport by qualifying a dog at least every 7 years.
    Does this mean a Dog YOU have trained,, or a Dog YOU own? Does Qualify mean just pass a test (1)? at the level you want to Judge??
    Can the dog be just anyones dog?

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Yeah I am still actually listed for Montana but all the information for contact is wrong plus I haven't any approvals because it has been so long from my last seminar / test.
    Oh well. I don't see that happening any time soon.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6