The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Judges-Check your Qualifications

There are plenty of qualified judges out there that are never asked for one reason or another. It's funny how the same people seem to be judging multiple tests in a certain area every season. I, for one, am qualified to judge all three levels of HT's, but have only had one invite in the last 3 years (unfortunately had to decline due to a work conflict).

I started running field trials 4 or 5 years ago and judging minor stakes. I know many hunt test clubs prefer judges with higher pass rates, resulting in more ribbons and happier participants, so I have to wonder if the perception is that those who cross over to field trials are no longer good hunt test judges and would be too tough. I would like to think that's not the case. I understand the rules and differences in each of the games and if anything, running and judging trials has broadened my experience level. Conversely, I know a number of hunt test judges that borrowed someone else's dog to run one time in order to qualify to judge at the next higher level. Some of those folks are asked to judge frequently. I just don't get it. Maybe it's just because I don't run many hunt tests anymore.... who knows.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH ** (2012 MN Qualifier)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD ***(QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Gooser is able to get education from about any source.
    There is a documentary on TV that I really enjoy about Springfield Missou. It tells the story of a typical american family that lives there ,along with many different characters in the town.. It really more reality TV I guess,, but I get a LOT out of it.. so much so,, I would consider moving there..

The show is called THE SIMPSONS... Very good...
    Writing in third person dialog doesn't really help anyone understand what you mean and i don't think you have the right state. Mizzou is coached by a bunch of guys from Wa btw.

Is there a link to all upcoming seminars? Or, do you just have to find them individually?

Thanks!
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Garris View Post
    Is there a link to all upcoming seminars? Or, do you just have to find them individually?

Thanks!
    Kyle
    http://www.akc.org/clubs/seminars/seminars.cfm?page=5 then select Hunt Test Retrievers
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    There are plenty of qualified judges out there that are never asked for one reason or another. It's funny how the same people seem to be judging multiple tests in a certain area every season. I, for one, am qualified to judge all three levels of HT's, but have only had one invite in the last 3 years (unfortunately had to decline due to a work conflict).

I started running field trials 4 or 5 years ago and judging minor stakes. I know many hunt test clubs prefer judges with higher pass rates, resulting in more ribbons and happier participants, so I have to wonder if the perception is that those who cross over to field trials are no longer good hunt test judges and would be too tough. I would like to think that's not the case. I understand the rules and differences in each of the games and if anything, running and judging trials has broadened my experience level. Conversely, I know a number of hunt test judges that borrowed someone else's dog to run one time in order to qualify to judge at the next higher level. Some of those folks are asked to judge frequently. I just don't get it. Maybe it's just because I don't run many hunt tests anymore.... who knows.
    Good post Dan.

And yes...there are concerns at times. It's disingenuous to look for the 'easy' judge ribbon factory as much as the 'hard' judge who only expects to pass 30% of the dogs before even seeing the grounds.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

My experience with the seminar was like what Paul Cantrell pointed out. I took it about 5 years ago in hopes of learning more about the game as a complete beginner, with no intention of judging. Now, further on down the road, I would love to offer my time to judge juniors and maybe soon seniors. I can't find another seminar anywhere near me and worse yet there are only two hunt tests a year in NM and I hope to run my dog. There does not seem to be a viable option to become a judge of any level. Oh well, once when I was marshalling back east, I got bitched at because I did not know how to drive the ATV they had there. The guy said, "You took the AKC seminar, you know damn well you have to drive ATV as a Marshall!". Oh yeah, I was a volunteer and it was a Field Trial I was marshalling. Who knew how important some of that stuff at the seminar would be some day!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

The seminar needs to be longer, more thorough and have a curriculum developed by an educator. I do not believe the seminar really should require continued attendance unless the seminar itself advances and brings a higher level of education with each progressive step. It is logical for just about anyone in a professional position to take continuing education classes as their career advances. It isn't logical to take the same class over and over again.

Carol,
    There are 4 AKC tests in NM. Two in the spring and two in the fall. There are at least another half dozen in CO all an easy drive.
    There is a seminar in CO in Feb. Hugh
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Good post Dan.

And yes...there are concerns at times. It's disingenuous to look for the 'easy' judge ribbon factory as much as the 'hard' judge who only expects to pass 30% of the dogs before even seeing the grounds.
    wow, you find a judge that only passes 30% hard? While just about every judge I've worked with is pretty determined to set a solid test that meets the standard, I think stats would show you that 30% is a pretty solid average of passes in this sport. I find it ironic that in one sentence you condemn clubs shopping for easy judges and yet believe 30% is a hard judge. What do you believe the pass rate should be?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

There shouldn't be a pass rate....it's a standard. On any given weekend it could be 100% or 0%...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot