The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Judges-Check your Qualifications

However Lainee I think it's the thinking behind those perceived pass percentages that drive the behaviors

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    However Lainee I think it's the thinking behind those perceived pass percentages that drive the behaviors

/Paul
    I don't argue that point...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

It's the only way to make it competitive. See people post on FB, RTF and other sites how only "X" percentage of the dogs could pass the MH test and we were one of them or, my dog didn't pass and it was a tough test because only "X" number of dogs could pass..... Again, the mentality of it runs deep. Seem to forget they are running just a standard not a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    There shouldn't be a pass rate....it's a standard. On any given weekend it should be 100% or 0%...
    Given the same field of dogs, if the tests are within the regulations and appropriate to the level being tested, there is no way it could be 100% one weekend and 0% the next.

I do, however agree that there should not be an "expected pass rate".

20+ years of judging HT's for all 3 orgs has borne out the following AVERAGES.... (my experiences ONLY!)

HRC STARTED- 80-90%
    SEASONED- 50-60%
    FINISHED- 30-40%

NAHRA STARTED- 60-70%
    INTERMEDIATE- 30-40%
    SENIOR- 30-40%

AKC JUNIOR- 60-70%
    SENIOR- 50-70%
    MASTER-25-50%
    Last edited by paul young; 12-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I agree paul. I have on a personal judging record a 38% pass rate. I would say in my opinion that a lot of dogs running the tests I've judged would have passed on any other given weekend, they either just made a major fault, ie breaking, or it was just not their day

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I agree paul. I have on a personal judging record a 38% pass rate. I would say in my opinion that a lot of dogs running the tests I've judged would have passed on any other given weekend, they either just made a major fault, ie breaking, or it was just not their day

/Paul
    Bert Carlson told me recently, "I've never had to place a dog in a single field trial I've ever judged. The dogs placed themselves."

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Given the same field of dogs, if the tests are within the regulations and appropriate to the level being tested, there is no way it could be 100% one weekend and 0% the next.

I do, however agree that there should not be an "expected pass rate".

20+ years of judging HT's for all 3 orgs has borne out the following AVERAGES.... (my experiences ONLY!)

HRC STARTED- 80-90%
    SEASONED- 50-60%
    FINISHED- 30-40%

NAHRA STARTED- 60-70%
    INTERMEDIATE- 30-40%
    SENIOR- 30-40%

AKC JUNIOR- 60-70%
    SENIOR- 50-70%
    MASTER-25-50%
    I didn't qualify my statement with "the same field of dogs" - I just said it could be 100% or 0%...there should not be a pass rate percentage to contend with...it's a standard. I also never qualified my statement with the likelihood that there would be 100% or 0% pass rate...but it is possible, just like it is suppose to be possible to line a blind, but rarely does it truly happen!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I didn't qualify my statement with "the same field of dogs" - I just said it could be 100% or 0%...there should not be a pass rate percentage to contend with...it's a standard. I also never qualified my statement with the likelihood that there would be 100% or 0% pass rate...but it is possible, just like it is suppose to be possible to line a blind, but rarely does it truly happen!
    LOL. I am sure some judges have been tempted to go with 0%, but want to judge again. I have never seen 100% but have seen some where over 90% have passed that were good solid MH tests. I have even had my dog fail one where over 90% passed. Around these parts, I would say that the 30-60% is fairly common. It is rare to see many outside of that range.

wow, you find a judge that only passes 30% hard? While just about every judge I've worked with is pretty determined to set a solid test that meets the standard, I think stats would show you that 30% is a pretty solid average of passes in this sport. I find it ironic that in one sentence you condemn clubs shopping for easy judges and yet believe 30% is a hard judge. What do you believe the pass rate should be?

/Paul
    Pay attention Paul. I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    It's disingenuous to look for the 'easy' judge ribbon factory as much as the 'hard' judge who only expects to pass 30% of the dogs before even seeing the grounds.
    The latter meaning an elimination of dogs not based on pass/fail of the standard they set but judging dogs against each other, against the standard. We all know it happens, as does the inverse. Not unlike some favoritism in a field trial, with some judges.

The pass rate should be the pass rate. No need coming into it with one in mind.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    LOL. I am sure some judges have been tempted to go with 0%, but want to judge again. I have never seen 100% but have seen some where over 90% have passed that were good solid MH tests. I have even had my dog fail one where over 90% passed. Around these parts, I would say that the 30-60% is fairly common. It is rare to see many outside of that range.
    Agreed....
    We shoot dogs with a Canon