The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popping on Bird Whistle

Default Popping on Bird Whistle

Has anyone else had a dog pop on a bird's whistle/call? There's one place where I train on water where at least half the time, my dog will pop because there's a bird call that sounds a lot like my whistle. I don't know what kind of bird it is and, of the five bodies of water there, it only happens on one of them. The call sounds almost identical to my old-school (pea inside) Mega whistle. It makes me wonder what would happen if this happened in a trial in terms of how judges would handle the situation. It seems to me that they really couldn't ding for popping since the dog heard a sound he thought to be a sit whistle.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

It probably depends on whether the judges hear the bird's whistle or not. If they hear it, they will likely take it into consideration and give the dog the benefit of the doubt. If they don't hear the bird, it will be considered a pop.
    Sonia Liedman

Banned

Get a different whistle??? Lots out there that don't sound like a tweety bird.

Angie

The answer is my go to whistle. However there is a time in the spring when I cant use it as the dogs mistake it for a bird {orange wing blackbird is my guess} whistle.
    I then use a whistle with a pea or the green monster

I've experienced the same as Smillerdvm.

I've found it easiest to switch to a Dallesassee, aka "Blue Meanie" all the time. This gives my dog consistency, gives me the ability to dial it down or turn it up, and avoid any Redwinged blackbird confusion. We have lots of those birds in my area.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Get a different whistle??? Lots out there that don't sound like a tweety bird.

Angie
    Like I said, it's the old school Mega that has been hanging on my lanyard, tried and true for 15+ years. The place I'm talking about is the only place it's ever happened so I think acoustics come into play as well.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    Like I said, it's the old school Mega that has been hanging on my lanyard, tried and true for 15+ years. The place I'm talking about is the only place it's ever happened so I think acoustics come into play as well.
    Soooo get a different whistle??? You pretty much answered you're own question. Maybe tried and trued ain't so tried and true anymore.

Angie

Found this post and wanted to bring it up again.

For those of you that have had this issue before -- did switching whistles work? I have had this same issue happen 3 or 4 times this spring now. I as well have the black Mega on my lanyard.

Yes, happened to me at an Am first series at Blythe Ferry. Pinned the flyer and short retired. Running full speed dead at the long retired through very tall cover. Dog spun around and stopped on a dime. I waited a second or two, then verbal back (only verbal) and he went straight to bird with no hunt.

Not called back.

I did not switch whistles.

If I judge a dog that pops like that (dead run with purpose, on line to AOF, turns and stops as if hearing a whistle), he'll likely get the benefit of the doubt when deciding call backs.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    HRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona"
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Yes, happened to me at an Am first series at Blythe Ferry. Pinned the flyer and short retired. Running full speed dead at the long retired through very tall cover. Dog spun around and stopped on a dime. I waited a second or two, then verbal back (only verbal) and he went straight to bird with no hunt.

Not called back.

I did not switch whistles.

If I judge a dog that pops like that (dead run with purpose, on line to AOF, turns and stops as if hearing a whistle), he'll likely get the benefit of the doubt when deciding call backs.
    What whistle do you use CJ?

Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"