RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

WILL NOT SEAT ON A DUCK

146K views 561 replies 180 participants last post by  J. Marti 
G
#1 ·
I HAVE A YELLOW LAB MALE 9 MOUTHS OLD HE IS DOING VERY GOOD SEATING OUT BUT HE WILL NOT SEAT ON A DUCK HELP ME

#2 ·
huh? :shock:

#3 ·
Very simple matter of making a trip to the local hardware store and purchasing a "seat reamer".

Once the ducks seat has been reamed, the duck will be much more cooperative with the dog seating to it!!

If I can be of any more help with the technical aspects of dog training, please let me know!!

I finally got a chance to give some helpful information before all the pros answered!!!

Gooser

#4 ·
Gooser,

Thanks for clarifying what he was asking....I don't know of any testing organizations that require a dog to sit on a duck - wonder how the duck feels about all of this? Also is it a live duck or a dead one?

FOM

#8 ·
I had a seat on a greyhound once. Worst trip I ever had, even worse than the LSD. 8)

#9 ·
Oh, my.

I was going to chime in with what I thought he meant and make a suggestion.

But then I'd be spoiling someone's fun again.

Carry on!

#11 ·
I feel the need to chime in again!!

If the dog has been properly introduced to this criticle stage of his training,
and IF the proper use of FORCE was instilled, then the use of any gasket material is useless.

I have found in extream cases that a small "bead" of Silicone applied directly to the reamed area can be of some help.

I would have to caution though that this proceedure is very unpleasent! Practice can help by using a fresh green grape as the application surface!!

I have also found that the Feathered Fowl may at some time become quite vocal!! Be prepared for this!! Not a good time to slip with the reamer. Damage to the "SEAT" will result, nulifying any progress made during training.

Again. If ANY of you need more specific details of the proceedure please feel free to ask!!

Gooser

#12 ·
Okay, here's my advice:

1. Correct timing is important.
2. Read your dog!
3. Be consistent.
3. Be fair to the dog.
4. You don't always need to be 100 percent to move on to the next step.
5. What program are you following? Sounds like you've skipped a step...
6. It Depends!
7. And finally some real advice for when your dog won't seat on a duck, Puppies do anything for Cheez Curls.

#13 ·
I've never heard a bunch of more useless advice in my life. I would think that anyone with any level of experience would realize that all you need to get a good seat is duckseal and duck tape!

Reactions: ohio mike
#14 ·
Let me guess: Duck is seated in the water & your dog is a Golden.

M

#17 ·
I could be completely wrong on this, but I think you may need to reseat your dog. You will need to purchase a seat wrench and a box of assorted seats (as there are many different sizes).
DON'T FORGET that some seats are reverse thread so start gentlely when performing the removal or you may strip the seat. At which point you will have to cut it out. :shock:
Once you have installed the new seat don't forget to change the stem washer and apply some stem grease. This will help with the in and out motion of the stem. NEVER use silicone of duck tape unless you want a permenant seat.
Bathe your RUG immediately after completion as to remove any residual grease.
Hope this helps.

What do you think Jerry :?:
Paul-TEXAS

#18 ·
Paul

I respectfully dis-agree!!

Although a good point and one to consider, Todays breeding practices and advancements have come along way. Dont see to much any more a dog who needs re-seated.

I will say however , if the dog in question comes from ill refute, He might want to check into this proceedure.

I also have done reserch in this matter, due to the fact that on a couple of occations whith my Breaking dog, I thought I might have damaged the SEAT area due to loving corrections. I have found however that they tend to be as tuff seated as they are tuff headed.

I also might reccomend, that I heard of new reserch done in France that has come up with a simple test concerning the Seat. I know that the French are considered experts in this field!!

Again, I am flattered that I have been able to give so much advice!! Its about time a topic came up I could help with!!

Gooser

#19 ·
I am a bit lost on this. Do I need a machine press to seat, or re-seat my dog? Can this be done manually if you have the strength?

#20 ·
BadBull
Please read above..

Luckly there is no need for any machines. The seats as stated are threaded. Double check if righ or left hand.

Another Hint that might be of help to the original poster, is to check into the new "SEATLESS DUCKS"

They are now available in a "plethera" of styles and species!! Made of Rubber, these retrieveing aids just might help your problem . They come "seatless"!! They do however have a rope strategically attached at the seat area. It also has a hardwood Ball attached at the end. The head of the rubber ducky is also made of hardwood. If your dog has trouble with the seating training, and gets frustrated, he might have a tendancy to shake the duck. A few times with this will quickly correct him by knocking him upside the head with the said hardwood. Ducky is amasingly designed to deliver equal "knocks" to both sides at once , so you still stay consistent in your training. (also keeps him "same handed")

This may help the dog become more relaxed, and receptive to the whole proceedure!!

One other comment I would like to make is that I have recieved comments Privatly about the FRENCH post.

In now way did I mean this in a detrimental way!!
this came froma person who had a problem about a recent Canada thread!!! Just wanted to clarify!!

Jerry. if you feel this post has reached its full potential, fell free to do what you must!!

BUT, Keep in mind that the GOOSER is here for all of ya!!! ANYTIME!!

Gooser

#22 ·
Meleagris said:
If this guy was really trying to ask a question, I kind of feel sorry for him :D
Well I did try to get clarification.....sort of. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing, he probably thinks we are a bunch of jerks - I hope he can see the humor in all of this....if not oh well.

FOM

#23 ·
Meleagris said:
If this guy was really trying to ask a question, I kind of feel sorry for him :D
Now don't go getting in touch with your feminine side. Save that for us Golden owners who cry when we can't get past the water blind!!

M
(Actually I was wondering when this guy was going to post up & tell us what the he!! he meant in the first place :wink: )

#24 ·
guys....

this is terrible, but I still can't figure out what the first question was?

Is the dog "sitting" at the line and then breaking "not sitting" when a duck is thrown/shot? That's the only scenario I can decipher for a 9 month old. If that's the case, then go back to basic OB. "Sit" means "SIT" until I tell you to do something else. Following the advice of others on this forum, I've raised the bar on required OB. "Sit" while talking at the tailgate after training does not mean sit for 10 seconds, and then run to play with the other dogs airing out, and there is a correction for that. Also, I make her sit at feeding time and watch food being poured, water filled, (sometimes a greenie even pops out) until I tell her it's ok to break. 100% reponse every time, ALL the time. Step up the expectations for yourself, and your pup will follow. Great way is to get a 20' lead and a pinch collar, sitting the dog, and walking in circles around it, slightly putting tension on the lead. If he/she breaks, return to same spot (with pinch pressure), "Sit"- Heeling Stick- "Sit". Just a suggestion.

#25 ·
Hi Chris-
Welcome to our dysfunctional little group! First two things you need to do, in my opinion, after scanning through all of your 8 rtf posts. First, stop typing in all capital letters. It is the internet equivalent of screaming at someone. :? Second, type your posts on your email program or Word and then cut and paste them into your rtf text box. That way you can use spell check and we might have a little better clue as to what you are asking, OK? We all anxiously await your next cryptic question. 8)
Ken Bora

#26 ·
I agree!!

I feel sorry for the original poster also!!

My humor leaves much to be desired!! I apologise!!

I think he has a problem with the dog sitting while holding a duck!!

I thought the thread would probably end up with another long discussion about FF (Force Fetch)

Just thought I'd have some fun!

Sorry if I offended anyone!!! Thought it would promt the original poster to re-post.

I did enjoy it though!! :D