RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

WILL NOT SEAT ON A DUCK

146K views 561 replies 180 participants last post by  J. Marti 
G
#1 ·
I HAVE A YELLOW LAB MALE 9 MOUTHS OLD HE IS DOING VERY GOOD SEATING OUT BUT HE WILL NOT SEAT ON A DUCK HELP ME

#461 ·
I have been looking and cannot find an open seat at the seminar on this, can you help?:confused:

#464 ·
Are you talking about not breaking when a real duck is thrown or shot? If thats the case then thats just simple obedience training. Don's simply just tell him no, actually reinforce the command. Physically bring him back to the EXACT spot he was a sit, and YOU go pick up the bird. DO NOT SEND HIM AFTER IT. Sounds like you need to begin utilizing denials while training, and not letting him pick up every bird. Only let him pick up a mark when he performs near flawless in his obedience(no whining, creeping, etc.), and if he breaks, bring him back to the spot he broke from, and make him watch YOU as you go pick up the mark yourself (no matter how far the mark had been thrown). He will soon figure out that unless he performs as expected, he will not get the pleasure of picking up a mark. A check cord and good metal choker chain can also be useful in this training as well.

#472 ·
Oddly I do not think the real question was every clarified or addressed. Gooser jumped on making fun less than 1 hour after the first post and it continued in this great comedic spiral.

#466 ·
Rotcsig, are you replying to the ORIGINAL question???? Hey Chris Comier, after all these years........HERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

#467 ·
Seat Means Seat.

#478 ·
Many of us here are very proud that RTF provides a Ton of off the cuff baseless training advice. That's what makes this asylum so much fun! Especially on alien recognition Friday.

#482 ·
Well I have been away for a while my self. While I was gone I happened to run into a man who patented a new seating paste. It is gel based so it doesn't run and get all over everything. And it cleans with soap and water so after you are done training for the day you can clean both the ducks and your dog. Also it has a bitter taste so your pup wont try to lick it off. He is calling it Stick'n'Seat. It is guaranteed to work most of the time. He is also working on a Stick'n'Seat spray. But it is still in beta. I will let you guys know when it hits the market. I haven't gotten to use it yet as my dog is great at seating on ducks.

Regards,

Jonathan

#489 · (Edited)
I need expert help! I have been trying to use the "Amish" duck seating training methods. I went out and found a very nice antique reamer, which my pro helped to size to the dog. Luckily, regarding gaskets, the standard size is about perfect for my girl. Heck, I even bought some of that newfangled synthetic gasket sealant. We have been through Force to Seat with bumpers. I would say 7 of the 9 mouths are reliable, one is almost there, and I have some work to do on the last one. I thought seating was going well, but after I began the transition to birds, we have developed a problem that can only be described as "popping" as she tries to seat. And no, she isn't in heat. That's the first thing I checked.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do I fix it?

De-popped seating regards,

*Edit* The reamer was sized to the application for this particular dog. The reamer is being used on the duck, not the dog, as several posts in this thread have recommended. We have been using mallards. Those I train with seem confident that duck size is not the issue.

#491 ·
I was under the impression that Force Seating is only illegal with live birds. Does anyone know the law in Wisconsin?

#492 ·
Necroseating does carry stiffer penalties than "el vivo", although there is a movement claiming it is a victimless crime and its participants should be reclassified as a special interest group.
It is meeting fierce opposition by groups claiming the activity is threading down the memory of duck and animal ,and therefore is especially heinous. IMHO this is heading for a clash of seats in court.

#493 ·
I guess I will need to be very selective in my training methods. Are there recommendations for fixing my "popping" problem that would be less likely to come under legal scrutiny?