The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WILL NOT SEAT ON A DUCK

I feel the need to chime in again!!

If the dog has been properly introduced to this criticle stage of his training,
    and IF the proper use of FORCE was instilled, then the use of any gasket material is useless.

I have found in extream cases that a small "bead" of Silicone applied directly to the reamed area can be of some help.

I would have to caution though that this proceedure is very unpleasent! Practice can help by using a fresh green grape as the application surface!!

I have also found that the Feathered Fowl may at some time become quite vocal!! Be prepared for this!! Not a good time to slip with the reamer. Damage to the "SEAT" will result, nulifying any progress made during training.

Again. If ANY of you need more specific details of the proceedure please feel free to ask!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Okay, here's my advice:

1. Correct timing is important.
    2. Read your dog!
    3. Be consistent.
    3. Be fair to the dog.
    4. You don't always need to be 100 percent to move on to the next step.
    5. What program are you following? Sounds like you've skipped a step...
    6. It Depends!
    7. And finally some real advice for when your dog won't seat on a duck, Puppies do anything for Cheez Curls.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I've never heard a bunch of more useless advice in my life. I would think that anyone with any level of experience would realize that all you need to get a good seat is duckseal and duck tape!
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Let me guess: Duck is seated in the water & your dog is a Golden.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser
    Very simple matter of making a trip to the local hardware store and purchasing a "seat reamer".
    Gooser
    Hey MooseGooser, I could never find a Seat reamer around here; but I have used a Long Tapered Reamer with the same results. Hope that helps.

Sears had duck seat reamers on sale last week. Came with gasket kit for any size duck and a lifetime warranty.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think you may need to reseat your dog. You will need to purchase a seat wrench and a box of assorted seats (as there are many different sizes).
    DON'T FORGET that some seats are reverse thread so start gentlely when performing the removal or you may strip the seat. At which point you will have to cut it out.
    Once you have installed the new seat don't forget to change the stem washer and apply some stem grease. This will help with the in and out motion of the stem. NEVER use silicone of duck tape unless you want a permenant seat.
    Bathe your RUG immediately after completion as to remove any residual grease.
    Hope this helps.

What do you think Jerry
    Paul-TEXAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty
    Spanking is too Amish!

Best to use a new G2 500 - 2 child model. Much more humane!
    For over 13 years old, get one with a long 32 inch collar that fits around the groin area. :P

Paul

I respectfully dis-agree!!

Although a good point and one to consider, Todays breeding practices and advancements have come along way. Dont see to much any more a dog who needs re-seated.

I will say however , if the dog in question comes from ill refute, He might want to check into this proceedure.

I also have done reserch in this matter, due to the fact that on a couple of occations whith my Breaking dog, I thought I might have damaged the SEAT area due to loving corrections. I have found however that they tend to be as tuff seated as they are tuff headed.

I also might reccomend, that I heard of new reserch done in France that has come up with a simple test concerning the Seat. I know that the French are considered experts in this field!!

Again, I am flattered that I have been able to give so much advice!! Its about time a topic came up I could help with!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

I am a bit lost on this. Do I need a machine press to seat, or re-seat my dog? Can this be done manually if you have the strength?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

BadBull
    Please read above..

Luckly there is no need for any machines. The seats as stated are threaded. Double check if righ or left hand.

Another Hint that might be of help to the original poster, is to check into the new "SEATLESS DUCKS"

They are now available in a "plethera" of styles and species!! Made of Rubber, these retrieveing aids just might help your problem . They come "seatless"!! They do however have a rope strategically attached at the seat area. It also has a hardwood Ball attached at the end. The head of the rubber ducky is also made of hardwood. If your dog has trouble with the seating training, and gets frustrated, he might have a tendancy to shake the duck. A few times with this will quickly correct him by knocking him upside the head with the said hardwood. Ducky is amasingly designed to deliver equal "knocks" to both sides at once , so you still stay consistent in your training. (also keeps him "same handed")

This may help the dog become more relaxed, and receptive to the whole proceedure!!

One other comment I would like to make is that I have recieved comments Privatly about the FRENCH post.

In now way did I mean this in a detrimental way!!
    this came froma person who had a problem about a recent Canada thread!!! Just wanted to clarify!!

Jerry. if you feel this post has reached its full potential, fell free to do what you must!!

BUT, Keep in mind that the GOOSER is here for all of ya!!! ANYTIME!!

Gooser