The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AKC or UKC

How can a topic with so much intertainment potential turn out to be so boring?
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu QAA "Bleu"
    Bayou Magic's Dave Robicheaux QAA "Burke"
    Bayou Magic's Cletus Purcell (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    If you take a dog from the pound and title it ,does that make the breeding any better?
    A blind pig finds an acorn everyonce in while . However if you want to increase your odds of best performance you have to see how the line as performed. It's been the basis of performance breeding for decades.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    If you take a dog from the pound and title it ,does that make the breeding any better?
    yes it does.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    yes it does.
    Best get down the pound then?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

/Paul, would you kindly share your thoughts on why AKC better demonstrates a dog's ability?
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

What is UKC? Unidentifiable Kennel Club?
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    /Paul, would you kindly share your thoughts on why AKC better demonstrates a dog's ability?
    I've posted that a few times before

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    Titles are not equal to me.

Sure you can have GRHRCH or MH but wouldn't a GRHRCH MH QAA be even better?
    Or maybe a GRHRCH MNH QAA BRED TO A GRHRCH MNH QAA
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Hunt test tiles prove a dog can perform to a certain standard. This is good to know when shopping for a puppy. Weather you will run HT or not it is nice to know that the parents of your puppy were able to accomplish whatever title they hold. Weather it's AKC or UKC it shows that they are somewhat intelligent and trainable and have some inherited talent. Not all MH's or HRCH's are created equal, some gain their title with a 100% pass rate some with a much lower pass rate. But they have all shown they can get it done.

As far as AKC vs UKC that's not worth arguing about.

Your best bet is to find a very knowledgeable breeder, one who has a lot of experience in all aspects of your interest. I feel the breeder that trains dogs and hunts dogs and campaigns dogs in HT's and FT's has a better perspective when it comes to what you are looking for in a dog. All you need to do is be honest when you tell the breeder EXACTLY what you are looking for and than trust him or her when they suggest the right breeding for you. This is just my opinion. There are some GREAT breeders out there that don't do all the things I mentioned, but I feel the things I mentioned give a little bit bigger knowledge base when it comes to knowing exactly what his or her dogs can or can not do. That is the stuff you as a puppy buyer really need to know because it will help you get the right dog for your intended use.

With all that being said I personally like to see a lot of titled dogs in a pedigree. To me it speaks to the talent, intelligence and trainability of the pups ancestors. I believe these are inherited traits. Also the more titles you see the more health info you can find. All titled dogs are registered and typically most have had heath clearance's done which leaves a trail of info. This is also of great importance to you as a puppy buyer.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIM DOANE View Post
    Hunt test tiles prove a dog can perform to a certain standard. This is good to know when shopping for a puppy. Weather you will run HT or not it is nice to know that the parents of your puppy were able to accomplish whatever title they hold. Weather it's AKC or UKC it shows that they are somewhat intelligent and trainable and have some inherited talent. Not all MH's or HRCH's are created equal, some gain their title with a 100% pass rate some with a much lower pass rate. But they have all shown they can get it done.

As far as AKC vs UKC that's not worth arguing about.

Your best bet is to find a very knowledgeable breeder, one who has a lot of experience in all aspects of your interest. I feel the breeder that trains dogs and hunts dogs and campaigns dogs in HT's and FT's has a better perspective when it comes to what you are looking for in a dog. All you need to do is be honest when you tell the breeder EXACTLY what you are looking for and than trust him or her when they suggest the right breeding for you. This is just my opinion. There are some GREAT breeders out there that don't do all the things I mentioned, but I feel the things I mentioned give a little bit bigger knowledge base when it comes to knowing exactly what his or her dogs can or can not do. That is the stuff you as a puppy buyer really need to know because it will help you get the right dog for your intended use.

With all that being said I personally like to see a lot of titled dogs in a pedigree. To me it speaks to the talent, intelligence and trainability of the pups ancestors. I believe these are inherited traits. Also the more titles you see the more health info you can find. All titled dogs are registered and typically most have had heath clearance's done which leaves a trail of info. This is also of great importance to you as a puppy buyer.
    This comment says alot!! The statement it is not worth arguing about or which is better is very true. Depends on you what you want you and your dog to do is the important thing!. Mind you you may find your dog better suited to AKC or HRC. That can depend on your training opportunities etc. It is best to have the dog's parents and relatives with titles - always helps. As for the pooch from the pound that is even more of a gamble. But if that is what you want go for it!!!JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray