The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused newbie with a question

This is all making so much more sense now. Thanks to all that responded. I'm gonna contact Mr. Dunn and get the facts on how far along he took Moses. I'm assuming as a professional trainer he likely keeps records on all the dogs he trains.
    Im so excited about the potential Moe has and am looking forward to working him to his SH
    Any recommended programs? I'm noticing a lot of people here recommending Evan's program....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemax009 View Post
    This is all making so much more sense now. Thanks to all that responded. I'm gonna contact Mr. Dunn and get the facts on how far along he took Moses. I'm assuming as a professional trainer he likely keeps records on all the dogs he trains.
    Im so excited about the potential Moe has and am looking forward to working him to his SH
    Any recommended programs? I'm noticing a lot of people here recommending Evan's program....
    Please ask this question of the trainer when you talk. Even though your dog may be trained to a certain point by a pro, it may be confusing to try and plug in a program that makes sense to you, but may for some reason not make sense to your dog. The trainer who got your dog to this level may have some good guidance there.

Good luck, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Was able to contact the pro. Her words mirrored most of yours. Intelligent hard working dog that she had in fact started on casting, walk out blinds and sit on the whistle because of his demonstrated potential to go to the next level. She said he likely remembers but hasn't had to recall it in almost a year. So it will just take time. We talked for nearly 30 minutes and she was excited to hear about him. She also recommended a program that is generally consistent with hers.
    thanks again.

Nice thread with a happy ending. Just the beginning actually, but puts a smile on my face this last day of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Nice thread with a happy ending. Just the beginning actually, but puts a smile on my face this last day of the year...
    It's a perfect start to a new year on a fun journey.

Enjoy the journey!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemax009 View Post
    Was able to contact the pro. Her words mirrored most of yours. thanks again.
    i am glad that this bunch of pie-holes didn't give you bad advice! lol

glad you have a nice dog in moses, good luck.
    john mccallie

It is so much fun when posts are positive. It reflects the majority of the RTF members. Happy New Year!
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Can't go wrong asking the pro that did basics on how to proceed

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

You know I'm a member of many forums but this is by far the most positive group of members I have ever seen. I belong to a few car forums and the posts are mostly negative with a lot of pseudo intellectual garbage that is mostly intended to show everyone how their vast base of knowledge trumps yours.
    Grateful for finding this place.
    Thanks again.

Good luck and Happy New Year!!