The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keystone Pipeline anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    So, does this mean it would be safer to have oil like this in a pipeline, rather than on a train? Can't answer that but would guess that a pipeline reduces the risk of a major spill in a populated area

I thought "light, sweet crude" was the more desirable crude oil for refining It is, but also has a lower flash point making it more volitile purposes of getting the better bang for the buck. Was our original US oil from "traditionally" drilling also "light, sweet" type? My recall may be faulty on this.
    The point of the article is that this specific crude is a more dangerous crude and has been involved a a couple of nasty accidents. Personally, I would rather it flow thru the country than thru a neighborhood.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Here's an article on the concept of movement of crude oil by train.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/us...=business&_r=0

Then, here's the Wiki article on the DOT111 tank car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT-111
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 01-03-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

The light sweet crude is the most easily to refine oil and what we mostly get from the middle east. The tar sand oil is very difficult to refine and requires a specifically designed refinery for the process, but there is a ton of it in Canada. It was not economically viable for less then than 3.50 a gallon and it is very dirty. That is from an old article that I am reciting from memory so take it for what it is.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

In fact, I have a gas pipeline running along the edge of my own property. Some years ago, one of the local communication companies also added to the trench a fiber-optic cable on the same ROW. The gas company (Columbia Gas) also came through once to dig up the whole trench and put in new pipe. They keep the ROW mowed, and some workers come through every couple of years to do a visual inspection of the area. They also provide a pamphlet for the landowners to be aware of signs of leaks.

The digging part was of some inconvenience for my neighbors (on 1-ac lots) since the trench runs almost through the middle of their lawns and the digging projects took several weeks before they were filled in again (the trench is about 4-6 ft deep). No problem for me since the ROW runs along just one edge of my property, through an open field of my 3+ acres that is not really part of my "lawn".
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Kansas-Nebraska pipeline corp has a gazillion miles of underground pipelines running through the middle USA. We hardly ever hear of any problems with them.

I pity you folks in the east that are still heating with oil. Natural gas is the best bargain of any of our utilities. My last heating bill was $45, and it averages less than that over the years usage. We also have a gas water heater. By the same token, our electric bill runs around $185/month.

Just had a friend come back from a holiday vacation to Minot, ND. Told me gas prices were in the $3.35 range, (in RC gas is $2.81) despite all the oil that state produces. I told her, Nodak would be wise to have a refinery built in that state, and we'd all benefit from lower gas prices.

Once a pipeline is hauling the crude, and the NG from the fields, the oil and gas companies will start getting serious about building more refineries. Then we'd all be enjoying the benefits...both in local usage and the cash flow from exports. This won't happen under the current regime, and the present day environmental wierdos. As long as the 'fools' living in this country continue to vote as they do, we will be under their hypocritical rule.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Here's a photo of the engines from the oil train. The rightmost engine was the lead. From the time of impact until the explosion there were about 14 seconds. The crew was knocked flat by the explosion according to the report I've seen.

The crew were blocked from escaping via the nose door because it was crushed in the collision They instead used the door behind the engineer's seat on the right hand side. This meant they had to flee towards the tank cars rather than away from them.

TrainWreck.jpg
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    The point of the article is that this specific crude is a more dangerous crude and has been involved a a couple of nasty accidents. Personally, I would rather it flow thru the country than thru a neighborhood.
    It would appear that it this crude is safer below ground than in a train. From what I can tell, the pipelines have a pretty good record for safety ... and the natural gas that flows through many of them is even more volatile than the sweet crude.

From a business standpoint, if one train derails, the company running the trains loses just one cog in a wheel. If a pipeline fails, it can wreck the whole wheel. Even the greedy should consider that taking good care of their pipeline is also good business, and the environment will benefit from their self-interest?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Truth be told it is pretty safe if it over rail or in a pipeline. Accidents are going to happen either way and they are so infrequent that they still make good news stories. The important thing is that these companies take care of the mess and do everything possible to not harm people when they happen.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

I heard an interesting thing today. Man we know very well who has worked in more than one way in the oil business ( owned a few producing oil wells along the line ) had this to say............we are buying oil and bringing it into the USA that is not as good quality as the oil we are selling and sending out of the country.
    Selling the good stuff but buying bad stuff from other countries.............this sounds like a bad idea to me.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

I think that at least the oil sands need special refineries to process the oil. That may account for some of what your friend is talking about.