The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Keystone Pipeline anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me at all. That would allow Obama to authorize the pipeline when it is most politically expedient. Maybe Obama figures they're going to lose Landrieu's and Beglich's Senate seats to Rs anyhow, and he might as well use it as a trump card in the 2016 election?

If Obama is willing to admit that Africa, China and India "must" burn coal because it is the cheapest fuel, then why would it be so much worse for poorer countries to burn Canada's tar sands oil? Is that fuel dirtier than coal? Not to mention that the Bakken oil is actually a cleaner form, and would also benefit from the pipeline. Maybe we could just watch Warren Buffett, and when he starts divesting himself of his railroad that transports the oil now?

So, if we have to burden Americans with higher energy prices, at least the economy's income stream from the Bakken oil and pipeline job creation, will give the govt the ability to collect more tax money to redistribute to the poor who will suffer most. Isn't that their ostensible goal, to make things more "equal" and "fair" for the poor people?

Actually, Obama stated that the US should lead in developing renewable fuel technology so that we could then share it with the other countries who can't afford to do so. The premise being that saving the planet is in our best interest.

Still a bit puzzled how China can lend us tens of billions of dollars, but can't afford to do some of this renewable energy development with those funds instead. Ironic, that debt gives China financial power over the US, while we spend that money to develop technologies that we will then give back to them, along with the money they invested. Sounds like a great deal for China: they lend us money. We invest their money in this technology. Then we give them back their money, plus whatever interest charged ... and we also give them the technology we develop with their investment. Will that make China our good buddy?

Yes, Henlee, labor is pressuring to approve the XL, and the environmentalists are pressuring the opposite. I do wonder if the environmentalists are all people who earn $250K or more, who will easily absorb the increase in energy costs that could result from not transporting the Canadian oil. Do they think we (the US) has the power or right to tell Canada that they are bad guys for developing their dirty tar sands oil? After all, that revenue helps Canada support their universal health care system; again, helping poor people. Wouldn't it be unfair for us to deny Canadians their health care? Do those environmentalists compute into the equation the damage that is being done by rail transport?

Americans have taken forgranted so much about Canada, and having it as a neighbor. For most of US history, Canada has been a friend and international ally. The longest unprotected border in history has been with the US and Canada. Both countries share the values of freedom and hard work. Canada has not sent us tens of millions of illegal immigrants the way Mexico has. We actually promote the benefits of US food stamps in Mexico. I haven't heard that we do that in Canada.

A Canadian friend tells me we do not appreciate Canada enough. I can agree with that.
    Good post.

From our local paper ( Bartlesville Examiner-Enterprise ) "experts have said the shortage which caused the price of a gallon of propane to increase from $1.80 to nearly $5.00 in just two weeks is the result of exporting much of the fuel overseas etc.". Cost of filling the propane tank last week was over $700.00 which won't last more than a month if we keep having more low temps this year than in previous years. Our gov. ( Fallin ) is calling for help from the state's rainy day fund to help lower the prices in Oklahoma.
    Last edited by charly_t; 02-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/05/fo...em-for-anyone/
    Maybe this is why Salazar is no longer Sec of the Interior?
    “From my opinion and from what I’ve seen… I believe hydraulic fracking is, in fact, safe,” said Salazar, who left the Obama administration last year. “We know that, from everything we’ve seen, there’s not a single case where hydraulic fracking has created an environmental problem for anyone. We need to make sure that story is told.”

Salazar also said that he thought President Barack Obama should approve the Keystone XL pipeline, which has been the epicenter of an environmentalist crusade for more than five years.

Despite accusation by environmentalists, former Obama Interior Secretary Ken Salazar admits that hydraulic fracturing is safe and has not “created an environmental problem for anyone.”
    “From my opinion and from what I’ve seen… I believe hydraulic fracking is, in fact, safe,” said Salazar, who left the Obama administration last year. “We know that, from everything we’ve seen, there’s not a single case where hydraulic fracking has created an environmental problem for anyone. We need to make sure that story is told.”
    Salazar also said that he thought President Barack Obama should approve the Keystone XL pipeline, which has been the epicenter of an environmentalist crusade for more than five years.

“At the end of the day, we are going to be consuming that oil,” Salazar said. “So is it better for us to get the oil from our good neighbor from the north, or to be bringing it from some place in the Middle East?”

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

There is a $1.6 billion loan guarantee for this new type of solar generation project
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...641329484.html

The $2.2 billion solar farm, which spans over five square miles of federal land southwest of Las Vegas, includes three towers as tall as 40-story buildings. Nearly 350,000 mirrors, each the size of a garage door, reflect sunlight onto boilers atop the towers, creating steam that drives power generators.
    One reason: the BrightSource system appears to be scorching birds that fly through the intense heat surrounding the towers, which can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

The company, which is based in Oakland, Calif., reported finding dozens of dead birds at the Ivanpah plant over the past several months, while workers were testing the plant before it started operating in December. Some of the dead birds appeared to have singed or burned feathers, according to federal biologists and documents filed with the state Energy Commission.
    Regulators said they anticipated that some birds would be killed once the Ivanpah plant started operating, but that they didn't expect so many to die during the plant's construction and testing. The dead birds included a peregrine falcon, a grebe, two hawks, four nighthawks and a variety of warblers and sparrows. State and federal regulators are overseeing a two-year study of the facility's effects on birds.

"With the data we've gathered, it's far too early in the process to draw any definitive conclusions about long-term impacts on avian or other species," said Jeff Holland, a spokesman for NRG, the project's operator, which is based in Princeton, N.J.
    I believe it is a good thing to develop clean energy that is affordable. However, our wealth of fossil fuel is the bridge to the future. It would be short-sighted to believe that while the fossil fuels we have found are enough for a couple of centuries, ultimately we will need other sources of energy.

There are a lot of kinks to be worked out in using green energy sources. When I think back to the first computer I used, an Apple II+, and the first printers and compare them to what we can do today, I am compelled to believe that the human mind can solve these problems ... with enough time to test them and evolve the technology to make them realities. It's only been 33 years since that early Apple computer to iPhones and iPads.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

A judge in NE has ruled that the Governor's approval of the XL pipeline is illegal. Such approval must come from the NE Public Utilities Commission.

Remains to be seen how much of a setback this will be ... months? years?

It does take some heat off Obama with the environmentalists who strongly oppose the pipeline. At least for 2014, but maybe not for the Dems in 2016.

Interest may now switch to the Alaska pipeline for natural gas that is scheduled to begin construction in 2018, along with a port for exporting CNG to other countries. This pipeline does not cross any international borders, and has been approved by Alaska. As I recall, however, the Fed govt is in charge of the permits for such ports. Not sure if that permit was already granted.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

A new look as to whether the XL pipeline is needed for the Canadian oil ... maybe not

Readers of AT have long known how crony-capitalist Warren Buffett has been making out like a bandit with his railroad, BNSF, and his tank car company, Union, to haul a lot of the oil stranded without the pipeline. Up until now, this has been an expensive proposition, as rail is generally not competitive with pipelines for big volume moves.

However, railcar engineers have recently built special heater-coil cars for the super-sticky tar oil – bitumen, actually -- that comes out of Canada. These cars can be filled 100% with the raw bitumen, not diluted with costly thinning chemicals called “diluents”, otherwise needed for pipelines or normal tank cars to move the heavy, sludge-like product. Canadian tar oil with diluents is also expensive and bothersome to extract once it reaches the refinery. By delivering the bitumen in its pure state, the savings are so large for the refiners that it justifies the extra cost of rail shipment; and obviates the need for much of the Keystone XL project.

Bitumen moved by rail is also much safer than other forms of crude oil. The light, sweet stuff from the Bakken fields may catch on fire in a derailment, but the Canadian product has so little in the way of volatile gases that a mere tank rupture is unlikely to be major trouble.

This is great news for the American economy. Millions of barrels a day more of North American crude oil can start flowing in the next few years, wiping out our trade deficits and boosting our industry.
    Every time I read about an innovation like this ... someone who began thinking outside the box to solve a problem (in this case the pipeline approval gridlock) ... it gives cause for optimism. If there is a way to make "green" energy commercially viable, it will come from minds like this, not from a govt vision of Utopia.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...ill-let-it.htm

This is one of the references cited in the article mentioned in Post #1
    The boom has also attracted a similar scale of new foreign direct investment. Because of low-cost energy abundance, 100 factories are set to come on line by 2017. When all are up and running, another $300 billion will be pumped into GDP and 1 million more jobs created.

This is proof that economic stimulus — of the right kind — works. Unlike the stimulus undertaken by the Obama administration, this one is coming at no cost to taxpayers, has been fueled by private-sector investment, and has taken place entirely on state and private lands.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...#ixzz2ugmI4PdK

G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Just a side note..........our local paper carried a picture and an article about another pipeline being built through our state. If I remember correctly it was from Chicago IL and went down to Cushing OK.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~