The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Anyone smoke their own meat?

  1. #1
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,204

    Default Anyone smoke their own meat?

    I am thinking of buying a meat smoker. Is it hard to get the recipes right?

    Can I buy one that doesn't cost a fortune and take up too much room?

    I don't have a lot of storage space, and don't want to invest a lot in case it is no fun.

    My family has some difficult dietary restrictions, and I am interested in making my own bacon, ham and brisket that does not contain some of the ingredients that commercial versions include.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!
    Renee P

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jim Person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Central Mass.
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    I just got a masterbuilt electric smoker. About the size of a dorm refrigerator. On sale it was $129. Can't wait to try it out...As far as recipes, use them as a guide and add or delete items as needed. Can always cut back on salts and sugars and substute other things in....
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Bradley makes an electric smoker that is very simple to use. Can set the time and temp let it do the rest.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Be cautious, some of the ingredients that you might choose to omit are used to control the growth of potentially dangerous bacteria. An important comsideration for safety.

    Irishwhistler

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Linden, VA
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I am thinking of buying a meat smoker. Is it hard to get the recipes right?

    Can I buy one that doesn't cost a fortune and take up too much room?

    I don't have a lot of storage space, and don't want to invest a lot in case it is no fun.

    My family has some difficult dietary restrictions, and I am interested in making my own bacon, ham and brisket that does not contain some of the ingredients that commercial versions include.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!
    Making bacon or a ham isn't something you want to attempt in your typical back yard smoker by an inexperienced smoker cook. It's a long process to properly cure the meat for bacon or ham and something that should be left to those with much more experience smoking meats.

    However beef brisket's, rib's, fish, or boston butt's are another story and are perfect for the new backayard smoker cook to undertake. Have fun.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    In WA & CO, due to the voter's ignorance, one can set up outside any local MJ dispensary & get various added flavors to their smoking project .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Daren Galloway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    I just got a masterbuilt electric smoker. About the size of a dorm refrigerator. On sale it was $129. Can't wait to try it out...As far as recipes, use them as a guide and add or delete items as needed. Can always cut back on salts and sugars and substute other things in....
    I bought a Masterbuilt last year, with digital display and meat thermometer, very simple to use, set the temp set the time and go. I paid about $160, I live in an apartment with little to no room but like Jim said about the size of a mini fridge. Definitely worth the money. I made snack sticks out of all my goose, have done a turkey and pork butt and all have turned out great!
    Daren Galloway

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Corinth MS
    Posts
    674

    Default

    I also have the master built smoker and have had it enough time that it has been reworked with new hot plates. It is a basic metal interior on a dorm refrigerator. I love mine. Did the Christmas turkey, took 6 hours in 28 degree outside temps. Turned out great. I've done wings, brisket, butts, shoulders, whole chickens, geese, and all cuts of venison. Set the temp, the time and all you do is add chips periodically. Anybody can smoke meat using google and an electric smoker.

  9. #9
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia
    Posts
    6,947

    Default

    I am not a fan of electric smokers although they do work well.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  10. #10
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irishwhistler View Post
    Be cautious, some of the ingredients that you might choose to omit are used to control the growth of potentially dangerous bacteria. An important comsideration for safety.

    Irishwhistler
    I would be substituting dextrose or fructose for the sugars and leaving out the garlic.

    I bought some sugarless bacon and ham from Wellness Meats, the smoke flavor was delicious but it is just not the same without a little sweetness. I fried up the bacon with some granulated fructose and it was delicious, but I could not salvage the ham.

    My idea of buying a smoker was inspired by a Canadian Bacon thread I noticed on the local Utah Wildlife forum (http://utahwildlife.net/forum/26-rec...ian-bacon.html).

    I'd really like to use real wood if I'm gonna do it, but then I guess I just add a layer of inconvenience to the process. Plus on no burn days I might have to go bacon-less!
    Renee P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •