The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone smoke their own meat?

As of Jan 1 most folks around here are smoking other things.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

The BGE is a BBQ cooker not a smoker. You cannot smoke fish and some other meats how "many" prefer it with the oven concept. I've used one a few times and they are hands down the best BBQ. A little chief can smoke meats better than a BGE

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    As of Jan 1 most folks around here are smoking other things.
    I don't think so....Since you are from Colorado and your state was the only state....Maybe it is you.....
    I remember from another forum that you like to stir and not help those.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    The BGE is a BBQ cooker not a smoker. You cannot smoke fish and some other meats how "many" prefer it with the oven concept. I've used one a few times and they are hands down the best BBQ. A little chief can smoke meats better than a BGE

Paul

I believe there is a difference between Hard cured meat (Jerky) and smoke flavored foods..

Depends on what you are after.

A person smoking a beef brisket,chicken, salmom, trout,ect, for an afternoon meal, isnt looking for meat that has been hard cured for safe un-refridgerated long term storage.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

The Two Methods of Smoking Meats
    There are two methods of smoking meats; cold smoking and hot smoking. Just as it sounds, hot smoking involves higher heat which cooks the meat while the smoke flavors it. Cooked meat, including cooked meat done in a hot smoker, must be refrigerated.
    Cold smoking will preserve meat indefinitely without refrigeration. How it works is through putting to use the preservative quality of the smoke itself, and by slowly removing as much moisture as possible from meats to avoid spoilage.
    It’s a common practice to place a pan of water in a smoker during the smoking process. This is great way to “cheat” on a brisket or turkey that you’ll eat as soon as you pull it out of your smoker, but moisture when you’re wanting long-term meat preservation must be avoided because excess moisture will aid in the growth of creepy crawlies that will spoil the meat.
    It’s advisable to use a thermometer when cold smoking meat to keep an eye on the temperature that should not exceeded 155 degrees. The length of time needed to cold smoke meats completely depends on the amount and the type of meat.
    (David’s note: This is a much lower temperature from when you’re cooking with smoke rather than preserving with smoke.)
    Traditionally, hickory, apple, mesquite or cedar chips are used when smoking because of the wonderful flavor these woods offer to smoked meats. In an emergency situation, the type of wood used would be secondary, but the choice between cold smoke and hot smoke isn’t as forgiving—cold smoke, using smoke at low temperature to harden the meat is the surest way to preserve meat for long shelf life of up to one year.
    (David’s note: In general, you want to smoke your meat with hard woods, as mentioned above, and avoid soft, sappy woods like pine & fir because of the nasty, bitter taste they impart.)
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Oh lord, we are in for a treat. Happy and gooser debating best methods and results for smoking their meat. You have to say, RTF delivers the goods

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Yes, low range smoking temps of 225 can be done in any electric kitchen oven. Why bother? Get a real smoker for brats, real squaw candy, correct elk pepperoni, trout and especially whitefish. BGE cannot do it right sorry

Oh also, anyone smoke any cheese in a BGE lately?

And the final question, how many racks does the BGE have? And what is the temp range? Gooser, there are just as many links with using an old fashioned weber as a smoker but it is not as effective or useful as a SMOKER as a good smoker rather than it's purpose as a kick ass BBQ. For smoking, get a smoker