The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone smoke their own meat?

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    These will make you slap yer grandma!

http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html
    Oooo Gooser, I've made BRITU and they are awesome!

I have a Weber Smokey Mtn and it suits my needs but know a lot of folks that are Eggheads and love them.

The website Gooser shared is very good.

Best cookbook IMHO, especially for the novice: "Smoke and Spice", Jamison and Jamison

Quote Originally Posted by 3blackdogs View Post
    Oooo Gooser, I've made BRITU and they are awesome!

I have a Weber Smokey Mtn and it suits my needs but know a lot of folks that are Eggheads and love them.

The website Gooser shared is very good.

Best cookbook IMHO, especially for the novice: "Smoke and Spice", Jamison and Jamison
    LOL! That's the book we used when Ralph made his "Frankenstein" smoker in the back yard. It is a great book!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    The other link shows you have to Jury rig the BGE to cold smoke so, I think that chart lies a bit.
    That is true, but it is not a ton of work. You really need a better thermometer than the one it comes with but if you have that thingy that throws a thermometer controlled fan in the lower air inlet, even better. Also, it is not, as you pointed out, geared well for vast quantities. All in all, though, it is incredibly versatile and you can cook all manner of yummy stuff.

The other link shows you have to Jury rig the BGE to cold smoke so, I think that chart lies a bit. A friend of mine has a BGE and I cooked on it about 5 times last summer. They are awesome however, without fiddling with it you won't get it to the proper temps for good jerky and especially fish. I know, people make jerky in the electric oven in the house too... it's just not good.

With the other link you provided, the guy on the forum showed his side heat with dryer duct to bring the cold smoke and some temperature into the BGE. This is the exact same way you convert a 50 gallon drum into a kick butt smoker.
    may want to invest in some reading glasses. he clearly states that this 2 grill station was not practical and as a result found a new way to cold smoke using the BBQ Guru control unit. it hooks on to the vent on the bottom and monitors the temperature inside and fans the coals/wood as needed to control temperature inside.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    may want to invest in some reading glasses. he clearly states that this 2 grill station was not practical and as a result found a new way to cold smoke using the BBQ Guru control unit. it hooks on to the vent on the bottom and monitors the temperature inside and fans the coals/wood as needed to control temperature inside.
    So, you have to jury rig it because it doesn't come out of the box intended to work as a smoker? I don't see what your arguing. It's a great cooker. It has to be modified to smoke properly. The links you posted show that case in point. The fact the guy on the forum has tried doing different modifications shows that even more clearly.

It's a sweet cooker- Far too small to be an effective smoker. For one, how in the world can you hang sausages to smoke? The racks are far too close for fish. They'd drip and ooze all over each other. Not to mention you'd have to do so many batches. I have no doubts it can do a little slow cook/smoke for briskets perfectly. For everything else it just isn't made for smoking. You can smoke fish at higher temps. Folks do it all the time. Is it smoked fish? yes. You can do jerky at higher temps. Is it jerky? yes. No argument.

My buddy introduced me to this stuff.

http://www.buttrub.com/

My buddy introduced me to this stuff.

http://www.buttrub.com/
    TMI. Definately TMI.

to be clear happy...when you say smoking you refer to cold smoking (jerky, fish, sausage). the BGE is capable of handling normal smoking (ribs, pork butt, brisket) extremely well.

There are differences between "Curing" meat Like fish salmon, and Hard curing meat like Jerky,Bacons, Hams, Sauasges, and SMOKE FLAVORING meats like ribs, chops, steaks Ham slices, packaged bacons, Hamburgers ect ect.

Happy is only focusing on Hard cures like Jerky,, or Cured dried fish, that will "keep" for long periods of time..

Depends on what you are after when you refer to smoking meats..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I you refer back to Mitty's original post, there was interest in home smoked hams and bacon. If you want to smoke a ham for example, can you maintain a perfect heat for 12 hours? Same with a turkey. Most important you need to follow the 40*-140* rule to eliminate chance of bacteria growth.

Bacon isn't as finicky about temps because your going to cook it again.

I definitely don't focus on "hard cures". That couldn't be furthest from the truth. Smoked turkey and double smoked ham are two favorites. For turkey 20 hours isn't unheard of for a good smoke. That is a lot of temperature tending on a BGE. Could you do it? I'm sure you could stay up all night long and maintain a perfect heat. I'm not going to do it because there are better tools to use for the purpose intended.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 01-06-2014 at 01:41 PM.