The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone smoke their own meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I definitely don't focus on "hard cures". That couldn't be furthest from the truth. Smoked turkey and double smoked ham are two favorites. For turkey 20 hours isn't unheard of for a good smoke. That is a lot of temperature tending on a BGE. Could you do it? I'm sure you could stay up all night long and maintain a perfect heat. I'm not going to do it because there are better tools to use for the purpose intended.
    again i direct you to the BBQ Guru i referenced earlier. an attachment (made for different models of grills/smokers) that controls a fan attached to the vent to keep the temperature you set on it for +/- 2* for long periods of time (have seen one run a BGE for 10 hours with never having to reload the charcoal/wood)

newer models have two thermometers one for the cooker and one for the meat. lets say you want to cook a brisket at 250* for approx 10 hours or until an internal temp of 190. the Guru will hold the cooker at that temp for the duration then as it detects the meat approaching the 190* mark it will ramp down the temp so that the temp inside the cooker is 190 causing it to not over cook the meat. that way if you get busy and instead of 10 hours it only takes 9 hours and 15 mins you dont over cook your meat. as the surrounding temp in the cooker is even with the meat's temperature it will no longer cook.

My buddy introduced me to this stuff.

http://www.buttrub.com/
    I buy this stuff by the pound. Skin baby backs, apply Butt Rub and smoke on the BGE at 225 with dry red oak for three and a half hours. Foil when the color is right (3.5 hours) and cook 1 to
    1.5 hours longer until you reach desired tenderness. Remove foil, and apply a another dusting of rub for dry ribs or sauce and cook for ten to twenty more minutes. Better ribs than most people have ever had. I love my Egg.

And as the bottle says "a little Butt Rub makes everything better!"
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

I you refer back to Mitty's original post, there was interest in home smoked hams and bacon. If you want to smoke a ham for example, can you maintain a perfect heat for 12 hours? Same with a turkey. Most important you need to follow the 40*-140* rule to eliminate chance of bacteria growth.

Bacon isn't as finicky about temps because your going to cook it again.

I definitely don't focus on "hard cures". That couldn't be furthest from the truth. Smoked turkey and double smoked ham are two favorites. For turkey 20 hours isn't unheard of for a good smoke. That is a lot of temperature tending on a BGE. Could you do it? I'm sure you could stay up all night long and maintain a perfect heat. I'm not going to do it because there are better tools to use for the purpose intended.

Ok,,, so tell us,, what is YOUR choice of tool?
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    [/U][/B]Ok,,, so tell us,, what is YOUR choice of tool?
    I use my buddies walk in/USDA shop at times when I want to do a couple turkeys for family or a large batch of fish. Otherwise the Big Chief because fish is very messy and that is all I use it for and I use a Masterbuilt I borrow from my brother in law for bacon and turkey.

I've used the propane smokers but they get too hot IMO. I like thick cut jerky and chewy fish.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 01-06-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    again i direct you to the BBQ Guru i referenced earlier. an attachment (made for different models of grills/smokers) that controls a fan attached to the vent to keep the temperature you set on it for +/- 2* for long periods of time (have seen one run a BGE for 10 hours with never having to reload the charcoal/wood)

newer models have two thermometers one for the cooker and one for the meat. lets say you want to cook a brisket at 250* for approx 10 hours or until an internal temp of 190. the Guru will hold the cooker at that temp for the duration then as it detects the meat approaching the 190* mark it will ramp down the temp so that the temp inside the cooker is 190 causing it to not over cook the meat. that way if you get busy and instead of 10 hours it only takes 9 hours and 15 mins you dont over cook your meat. as the surrounding temp in the cooker is even with the meat's temperature it will no longer cook.
    The top of the line Guru is WiFi enabled and if it was compatible with my Android phone I would have one. It can send you a text or email when supper is ready!
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

Holy "Smokes"... The Guru adds another $350!?!?! To the already $400-ish cost of the BGE??

Holy "Smokes"... The Guru adds another $350!?!?! To the already $400-ish cost of the BGE??
    185 for the one i described. 300 for the one that is WIFI enabled. and check again on the BGE price. more like 800-1000 for the large. but find another smoker/grill to do the things this one can

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    185 for the one i described. 300 for the one that is WIFI enabled. and check again on the BGE price. more like 800-1000 for the large. but find another smoker/grill to do the things this one can
    I think I'll buy a stainless infrared with smoker plate, a new 32" 6 rack electric/electronic control smoker, a freezer and a side of beef instead. BGE's are cool- Not arguing that.

I think I'll buy a stainless infrared with smoker plate, a new 32" 6 rack electric/electronic control smoker, a freezer and a side of beef instead. BGE's are cool- Not arguing that.
    I think I'll save the money, send my dog south for a month, run a trial while he's there and eat at McDonalds...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Dang, you guys are making me love my Traeger even more. I have a digital thermometer with dual probes, one for the meat and one for the grill. I set alarms for the high and low temps I want for both areas, fill the thing with pellets and turn it to the temp I want and wait 10 minutes for it to get to temp. That's it, the alarm goes off when the meat gets to desired temps and I'm done. I'm not an Eskimo so I really don't care if it can cold smoke 20 pounds of salmon. No one grill, smoker, etc can do everything the best so you have to decide what you will need mostly and then decide. If I were doing a bunch of low and slow stuff I'd still have a traeger but I'd also build a smoke house and be done with it.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."