The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pups in a litter with white on them

Default Pups in a litter with white on them

Hello do labrador breeders usually discount pups that have white on them?
    Last edited by deanlabs1; 01-01-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    HRCH TEN BEARS CURLY BILL JH - SHR KADENS LOST N FOUND IN A TEXAS TORNADO -SHR THUNDERS LIGHTENING EXSPRESS- HR MUIRS COTTON PICK N CROPPER MH - HR SMOKINGUNS SHARP SHOOTER ANNIE MH - SHR GUNNER - HR ACE- SHR CORINTHS REBEL SWEET- HRCH KELLY"S CANE HOLLOW HOSS JH ADAMS MAGIC HUNTER JETTA - TEN BEARS CASSIE- DAKOTAS FIVE ALARM SPICY GUMBO-WILDWOODS MISS POLLY-FLIRT-KADENS HIDDEN STASH OF BRANDY-TEN BEARS ROUND TRIP 2

Would say not "usually" There are a few FC's that have white on the feet or chest.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

I got one out of a Grhrch x Grhrch breeding that all 8 pups had white on the somewhere and neither parent had white spots. Still befuddled as to how that happens (and better yet, will a dog with w white spot throw pups with white spots ).
    They were not discounted. My lil girl has no clue she has a white spot and neither do the ducks, pheasants, or the ribbons.

I have had very few puppies with white other than bolo spots- a couple with chest patches, a couple with white chins or toes. I don't discount. Most of those markings have disappeared by adulthood anyway.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Nope! Never had a puppy born here that didn't have white markings!

Eider4wk2.JPG

Nope! It has been allowed, per the standard if you care, for ever. My yellow girl has produced bolo pads and at least one pup with a small white chest spot (notice I said small), in every litter. Why would you discount that?

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    I don't discount. Most of those markings have disappeared by adulthood anyway.
    Don't think I would "discount" them, either - regardless of breed

or origin, for that matter...

MG

I got a small star on the chest of one pup from a breeding of two dogs that don't usually produce white. I kept her and named her "Star". A hunting machine.

I got bolos on many pups. They seem "normal" to me.

I got some white on a litter by an FC who was known to produce it. (What seemed like) The nicest pup had quite a lot of white on his toes and buyers avoided him. His buyer named him "Twinkle Toes" - he was a high powered dog.

White spots aren't desirable, but aren't a big deal to me, either.

After reading this thread, and thinking of all the designer dogs we keep hearing about, I'm thinking that lab breeders are missing an opportunity here. I say, charge MORE for a pup with a white spot. All you need to do is come up with an exciting and trendy name for it. Something like, "...be the first on your block to own a White Star Labrador...very rare...".
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Absolutely not! Have had a few here and there, with a little white on chest, and one litter with one girl who had four white toes. Mostly the white spot pups stand out and people are drawn to them.
    I wouldnt want to breed one with that much white ,but for most people its not a big deal...
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)