The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pups in a litter with white on them

Having respect for the breed means understanding that not every dog NEEDS to be bred and if you're going to do so, there's a right and a wrong way of doing it. If breeding is something you're interested in doing and one of the purposes you're purchasing a puppy for, no you don't want limited registration. But hopefully you're also doing everything right when it comes down to a breeding... clearances, working the dog and (I know it's not important to most on this forum but it SHOULD BE) making sure the dog has the breed type its supposed to. Do people buy on limited registration... yep.

I like me a dog with Bolo pads. Hasn't anyone ever told yah that dogs with white are considered Lucky. It's human nature to like the unique & different. Thus you always charge more for them, or at least let people get in bidding wars and or wrestle for the different puppy, after you already decide to keep it for yourself .

You buy a show dog chances are your going to get Limited Registration
    You buy a performance dog, 9 times out of 10 it usually doesn't come up, and when it does there's a procedure in the contract for lifting limited status (health clearance & performance titles). Not really my cup of tea but I can see people wanting to protect their puppies from unconscionable buyers. O' course I would hope I wouldn't sell my pups to such, but sometimes it's nice to have an option of safeguards. As I'll only produce a few litters in my lifetime, I give full registration; and I hope my pups will be good enough to be bred so I can find offspring later.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-07-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Having respect for the breed means understanding that not every dog NEEDS to be bred and if you're going to do so, there's a right and a wrong way of doing it. If breeding is something you're interested in doing and one of the purposes you're purchasing a puppy for, no you don't want limited registration. But hopefully you're also doing everything right when it comes down to a breeding... clearances, working the dog and (I know it's not important to most on this forum but it SHOULD BE) making sure the dog has the breed type its supposed to. Do people buy on limited registration... yep.
    Limited registration was designed by breeders who only purpose was to protect "their" breeding profits. Let's face reality here, not all breedings are to improve the breed. The breeders are and do make money. I know, I know I hear all the time, money, and effort into breeding and you are "barely" making anything. I hear this from the oil companies too.

The fact of the matter for me, and I only speak for me, so relax out there........If the dog is worthy of breeding this means......I want what I have in this dog, this being 1. horsepower and drive, 2. intelligence and train ability, and 3. plain out "guts". The dog that will break ice to retrieve or die trying. I cannot handle a dog that quits. My standards, not for everyone, for me.

If the dog I have does not have these qualities they and not going to be fed anymore period. I only have so much time, effort, and most of all patience so I cannot nor will not tolerate anything less. My Raven dog has all this and more, The Dealer dog has all of this and more, I will breed, for me and for the sire's owner. We have both hunted and trained together so we know each others dog inside and out. The pups that will be sold will be sold with full registration because once they pay me, they bought the dog, it's thier's. I have no interest in "protecting" my breeding right because I am not a breeder, I am a hunter who happens to want more of what I got and Nick of Time Lone ranger is no longer alive to breed to so thus I will line breed on this with this cross.

Yes, my dog has all clearances, everything clear.
    Last edited by Backwater; 01-07-2014 at 01:34 PM.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

I had a nice litter of 10 born in 2011 with over half the pups having some white on their chests. Not surprising, since both parents had white on their chests also. And with Chesapeakes, white is acceptable according to the breed standard on the chest and on the toes; and it's not as frowned-on as in other breeds, even in the show ring. More than a few top show dogs have had a little white on them. But in this 2011 litter, one pup had a huge white marking that was borderline disqualification (standard states white on chest that extends to neck or belly is a disqualifying fault) as well as a white foot that's a clear show ring disqualification. We were surprised to see that white foot when he was born, since neither parent had any white on their feet or toes, nor did the other 9 pups.

Everyone really liked this little guy and I had no problem selling him for full price. He's been neutered, so there's no danger he'll start a strain of white-footed Peakes and he's doing very well; he's local so I see him regularly. Of course we called him Michael Jackson since he only had one "glove" and he's still called Jackson. Here he is as a 2 yr. old.

Edited to add that the disqualification of Jackson's markings according to the breed standard is only for the show ring; he's registered and runs in hunt tests. Since he's neutered, Jackson isn't even eligible for the show ring.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 01-07-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

very nice neither sire or dam has white on them but a couple pups in the litter has white on there chest
    HRCH TEN BEARS CURLY BILL JH - SHR KADENS LOST N FOUND IN A TEXAS TORNADO -SHR THUNDERS LIGHTENING EXSPRESS- HR MUIRS COTTON PICK N CROPPER MH - HR SMOKINGUNS SHARP SHOOTER ANNIE MH - SHR GUNNER - HR ACE- SHR CORINTHS REBEL SWEET- HRCH KELLY"S CANE HOLLOW HOSS JH ADAMS MAGIC HUNTER JETTA - TEN BEARS CASSIE- DAKOTAS FIVE ALARM SPICY GUMBO-WILDWOODS MISS POLLY-FLIRT-KADENS HIDDEN STASH OF BRANDY-TEN BEARS ROUND TRIP 2

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    Limited registration was designed by breeders who only purpose was to protect "their" breeding profits. Let's face reality here, not all breedings are to improve the breed. The breeders are and do make money. I know, I know I hear all the time, money, and effort into breeding and you are "barely" making anything. I hear this from the oil companies too.

The fact of the matter for me, and I only speak for me, so relax out there........If the dog is worthy of breeding this means......I want what I have in this dog, this being 1. horsepower and drive, 2. intelligence and train ability, and 3. plain out "guts". The dog that will break ice to retrieve or die trying. I cannot handle a dog that quits. My standards, not for everyone, for me.

If the dog I have does not have these qualities they and not going to be fed anymore period. I only have so much time, effort, and most of all patience so I cannot nor will not tolerate anything less. My Raven dog has all this and more, The Dealer dog has all of this and more, I will breed, for me and for the sire's owner. We have both hunted and trained together so we know each others dog inside and out. The pups that will be sold will be sold with full registration because once they pay me, they bought the dog, it's thier's. I have no interest in "protecting" my breeding right because I am not a breeder, I am a hunter who happens to want more of what I got and Nick of Time Lone ranger is no longer alive to breed to so thus I will line breed on this with this cross.

Yes, my dog has all clearances, everything clear.
    Backwater, I'm guessing your straightforward call em like you see em attitude offends many people.
    I am not one of em!! Keep on telling us what you really think, and good luck with your breedings; I'll keep an eye out for em