RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Green Bay Here We Come GDG

25K views 134 replies 49 participants last post by  windwalkers swan song 
#1 ·
Saw on ESPN that there were 13,000 tickets for Sunday's playoff game with the 49'ers against the Packers.

Decided that I needed to experience a playoff game at Lambeau field. To my surprise, my wife (an Arizona Native) wanted to go. Got four tickets at the 50 yard line, 25 rows up. Should be a hoot.

Any clothing tips? Other tips on what to bring? Weather forecast is 9 degrees with 10 mph wind. Yikes that will be cold!

#40 ·
You need to go to Chili John's for chili. Been there since 1913 and is/was John Madden's must stop when he called a GB game. The seat cushion pad is an ABSOLUTE MUST. I am a veteran of many brutally cold GB games and can tell you the most uncomfortable part of my anatomy during cold weather games has been my butt. Take along a stir stick or straw..... you'll need it if you don't want to get your fingers wet poking a hole in your frozen beer - I am not joking about this. Have fun... 7500 tickets still available, I'm thinking of going.... it'll be blacked out if they don't sell about by tomorrow afternoon.

#42 ·
#43 ·
Curds are solids left from cheese making process. They are what is put into the molds and pressed to make the blocks of cheese which then are soaked in brines and aged to create the different cheeses. Curds look and taste like bite size globs of cheddar cheese. At least to me.

#52 ·
Have you not seen the weather report for the game? - if "rabid" means you exuberantly submit to life-threatening low temperatures (predicted -6 to -10F at game-time), yes maybe there's some rabidness (rabidity?) lacking.

Last GB game I attended away from Lambeau was the coldest day in NYC in 25 years, and I left at halftime - not least because of a 21-3 score with the Packers on the short end to the NY Sack Exchange. Rabidity (rabidness?) has it limits...

Plus there's the somber reality that the Pack ain't exactly proved themselves as a cold weather team in the new century.

MG

#57 ·
Farmers have the whey sprayed on the fields by tanker trucks with a big sprinkler type deal on it. Good for the crops. Radio station said this AM that could be -40 to -50 with the wind chill at game time. Sometimes I think they pad the temp to make it sound colder than it will be. Anyways a lot of folks around here do say it is a $ issue. Nobody thought they would make it so they didn't budget for it. Have no fear it won't be blacked out. I hope no one needs to get me some crow.

#60 ·
The waiting list is for season tickets....the only way those ever seem to come available is if somebody dies and the next of kin gives up the tickets. ;)

I think part of the ticket issue has to do with the 7500 or so extra seats they added recently....before that, this game would have been sold out.

I seriously considered going to Lambeau for the game, and would have, had it been a noon game instead of 3:30. I'm not a big fan of a two and a half hour drive home, after dark in sub-zero weather, plus I'd need to find some brave soul to feed and air a bunch of dogs. A noon game would have made it a possibility.

#77 ·
Especially when they "SQUEAK!!!!";-)

(I wonder if anyone gets that???)

#71 ·
Now this thread could get a little exciting the Packer Cult Vrs the Monsters of the Midway. Thanks Ted have fun at Lambeau, if you rent a car the bridge is sinking two feet at Rt 43 and the detour is through town so you will get a good view of the Metro area of Green Bay, if your coming from Mitchell . There are other routes. These are serious fans! and they are all over the country.

#78 ·
That's how you know they're fresh; when they squeak on your teeth. I thought you taught me that! One of many good things about Wisconsin!

Evan

#80 · (Edited)
Icons of Green Bay's past

Hi Earl -

Where's your cabin in the UP? Forest County & Laona, Wisconsin are my 'ole
stomping grounds. Lots of Packer Fans in the northwoods.

The Green Bay Packers were founded 8/11/19 by Earl "Curly" Lambeau and George
Whitney Calhoun with $500.00 donated by their employer The Indian Packing Co.
Packer tenor in Green Bay is longer than any other NFL team.
Packers were granted a franchise in the NFL 8/27/21.

HISTORY/RECORD
73 NFL World Championships. Early all-time greats and future HOFer's: Mike Michaleke, Johhny (Blood) McNally, Cal Hubbard and home team star
Arnie Herber. There were 30 consecutive home games undefeated, an NFL record,
good today.
1935-1945 The Don Hutson Era
From Alabama, Hutson arrived in 1935 and led the league in receptions for 8 seasons and was key to NFL Championships 1936, 1939 and 1944. Hutson claimed 18 NFL records.
1946-1967 Lean Years after Hutson's retirement in 1945.
1959-1967 Lombardi and Winning Again.
5 World Championships over a 7 year span; 2 Super Bowl Wins and icons we watched and will always remember: Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Carroll Dale, Paul Hornung, Forest Gregg, Jerry Kraemer and Boyd Dowler (Colo. converted QB) on offense. Willie Davis, Henry Jorden, Willie Wood, Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinson and Herb Adderly on defense.

And, in the coldest game ever played at Lambeau Field - the "Ice Bowl", with 16
seconds left, Bart Starr's touchdown on a QB sneak gave the Packers 21-17 Win
and their third straight NFL Championship.
Lombardi stepped down as Head Coach after Super Bowl II in a 33-14 win over the
Raiders.

The years 1968-1991 through today are more familiar with many of today's fans,
but those preceeding years, the coaches, players and all they accomplished will
always be remembered and cherished by All Badgers.
(see Wikipedia, Green Bay Packers).

Bill Connor

#81 ·
Don't know if you're already on the way, Ted, but on the evening news tonight, they said that the "hot hands" packs are pretty much sold out all around GB. Mills Fleet Farm is sponsoring 70,000 packets to be handed out at the game. But I sure would want my own stash. Don't know how the airlines would regard them if you opted to buy in CO and bring them along?

#82 ·

Got "hot" stadium cushions today. Looking for more hand warmer packets and foot warmers tonight. Boy, is this some kind of stupid fun or what?

#87 · (Edited)
Bill our cabin is in Iron County just North of Crystal Falls, MI. My mother was born in Amasa, my grandmother born in Crystal Falls, pioneer family came there in late 1800's from Quebec and Ausable Forks NY.
Trivia my grandfather played against the early Packers, played for the Stambaugh (Iron River area team)just after he returned from service in WW 1. He had a chance to play for the Pack but opted to work in the mine until about 1923 or 1924, and lost the sight of one eye, leather helmets and all. He had a large chipped bone on his arm that he proudly displayed from his early years playing football. I married a local girl and lived there on several occasions, once when my Dad was in the service in WW 2 and after , another time in the late 50's and early 60's. My roots run deep, but, still a Bears fan.

My great grandmother lived in Florence and that's where she was married. We hit the Bars in Florence wedding gown and all after we got married in Crystal Falls. Lots of fond memories too. Long time ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.