The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 7-8 month old lab pictures.

Default 7-8 month old lab pictures.

Anyone have any pics of their dogs when they were 7 - 8 months old? My guy is that age now and I am getting nervous that he is not growing as he should be. Seems awful narrow to me. He doesn't seem to be putting on any weight. Feeding him about 5 cups of blue buffalo large breed a day. Seems like I cannot get him to have good stools ever either, so I got a vet appt. tomorrow for comprehensive fecal exam. I am probably being a freak but oh well....... Hoping I could compare with some other pups that age......

This is Blake at 8 months, 80 lbsBlake 4.jpg
    How much does you dog weigh? does he have a frame to support more weight? Some dogs grow at different rates. My brothers dog stopped putting on weight at 6 months (60 lbs) and has just now got to the 70 lb mark at 1.5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    Anyone have any pics of their dogs when they were 7 - 8 months old? My guy is that age now and I am getting nervous that he is not growing as he should be. Seems awful narrow to me. He doesn't seem to be putting on any weight. Feeding him about 5 cups of blue buffalo large breed a day. Seems like I cannot get him to have good stools ever either, so I got a vet appt. tomorrow for comprehensive fecal exam. I am probably being a freak but oh well....... Hoping I could compare with some other pups that age......

I see you mentioned you are feeding him Blue Buffalo, have you tried any other food with him? Maybe the food isn't agreeing with him? Like has been mentioned in the past, some dogs do better on some foods then others. I fed my current pup the same food as you are using up till he was 6 months, I don't believe he ever had a what I would call a solid stool on that food that I can remember.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    Not all labs are created equal. Photos of other's pups at 7-8 months of age are totally irrelevant in comparison to your pup. You can and often do, get a range of size and rate of growth within a litter, not mention full siblings from previous/other repeat litters. It all depends on the genes, food, and other environmental aspects such as amount of exercise, type of exercise, early neutering/spaying, etc..

Male dogs generally get their height first, and when the hormones really start kicking in at 18-24 months, they begin to bulk up. Again, all depending on their genetic makeup.

If you want a "better" comparison, call the breeder and ask for names of littermate's owners, ask about the parents and their rate of growth, and ask about previous litters and how they matured. Some dogs mature quickly, others take a longer route! It is "better" health wise to have a slower growing dog, for what it's worth!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

I started my dog on BB when she was a pup and she did well on it for a while... Then for whatever reason, she reacted terrible to it around 4-5 months old. Chronic loose stools, no weight gain, etc. I tried a bunch of different foods up until recently. I tried BB, Dr. Tim's, ProPlan, TOTW wetlands, TOTW high plains, and I think one other one I can't remember. TOTW was a decent food... Great coat and firm stools, however I couldn't get the dog to gain any weight. Finally, about a month ago, I switched her to Nutro Natural Choice High Endurance 30/20. She's been doing great on it ever since and finally put some healthy weight on.

Your dog may not be like my dog, or the next dog, or any other dog. Moral of the story... try some different foods until your pup responds well. And don't get caught up in the high-dollar food hype. Just because a food is expensive doesn't necessarily mean the dog will do well on it.

Good luck!

FWIW, here's Betty (right) and her brother Silus (left) right around 8 months old. Betty is a petite lab... At the time of this picture she was around 38-40 pounds. She is about 47-48 pounds right now.

Last edited by J_Brown; 01-02-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Maybe grain free is the problem, or could be
    Chicken alergy