The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Gps

Default Gps

I have two black labs that have gotten out twice, the first time they were found 2 miles from the house, the second 5 miles from the house. After the first time I got kennels and that's where they stay while I'm at work, but on Christmas morning while putting the kids Christmas gifts together they were playing in the back yard and dug under the fence and got out again. It's very stressful and so I'm looking into gps systems that they can wear during the day that alert me if they get out of the yard.

Does anyone use gps for there dogs and if so what brand do you recommend and what features do you like and hate most about it. We live on the edge of town so they are running through sub divisions and wooded areas. Of course we are going to fix the fence but it all still makes me nervous and like the comforts of the backup plan.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Sorry, I don't use any type of GPS system, but I do have a suggestion to you for repairing your kennel. Make sure you either pour a 12" slab of concrete or use pavers around the inside of the kennel run. This will keep your dogs from digging out under the fence.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Simple answer. Install quality chain link kennels with concrete floor, a tight fitting top and a secure padlock on the hasp. Wallah peace of mind.

Picked up all the dead dogs I'm going to regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I was in my Verizon store and saw the Tagg gps it was $99. Said you can track from your cell phone or computer. I know one person who had a chain link run on a cement floor with a top. Someone wanted her dog so badly they tipped the kennel over and dragged the dog out all that was left were the toenail drag marks.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 01-03-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Simple answer. Install quality chain link kennels with concrete floor, a tight fitting top and a secure padlock on the hasp. Wallah peace of mind.

Picked up all the dead dogs I'm going to regards

Bubba
    A GPS will not keep them from getting into trouble, you will just know where they were when they got into trouble. Buddy of mine had his dog stolen and the GPS was laying there in the grass. Don

It sounds as if they are secure in their kennels, but not in the fenced in back yard?

How about an electric fence, which will help keep them secure in the yard. You don't want them even getting loose, IMHO.
    Renee P

You're correct we aren't having the problem while in the kennels just the back yard. We started replacing the fence and pouring concrete underneath it, but until we get the whole thing done the electric fence might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    It sounds as if they are secure in their kennels, but not in the fenced in back yard?

How about an electric fence, which will help keep them secure in the yard. You don't want them even getting loose, IMHO.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Quote Originally Posted by vstoddard View Post
    You're correct we aren't having the problem while in the kennels just the back yard. We started replacing the fence and pouring concrete underneath it, but until we get the whole thing done the electric fence might be the way to go.

The simple solution is that until the secure fence is in place never allow the dogs to be be loose when unsupervised....... I'm not a fan of electric fences for a whole bunch of reasons including dead batteries, power outages and mixed messages if your using an e collar for training.

Bubba gave you the best advice which you appear to have blown off. Sorry if this sounds blunt, but it is absolutely ridiculous to allow any dog to run around anywhere unless it is safely confined or under complete and constant supervision.......and then expect that the dog will not be killed by a car, dog napped by some low-life, picked up by animal control and euthanized or shot by some farmer who feels he's protecting his stock.

If you haven't already done so, build a decent chain link kennel with a concrete floor and supervise your dogs properly when not in the kennel until you have a secure perimeter fence in place.

Pretty basic stuff. Again, apologies for being so blunt.
    If I/we/you can't continue to advance our methods that focus on making training easier to learn/less painful for the dogs, we have no right to be training them. (Alec Sparks)

FTCH AFTCH NOREMAC'S UNDERTAKER (DIGGER) QFTR JFTR
    -2014 Canadian National Retriever Championship Finalist
    -2012 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship Finalist

BARFLY'S DEADLY AIM (SNIPER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retriever
    -2011 Canadian High Point Junior (Derby) Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post

I'll go that route too. I have used the same electric fence that guys use on cattle for my dogs. Place the wire 6" off the ground and 6" inside your existing fence. May also need it 6" inside the top of the fence too. Problem is, once a dog learns he can get out and wants out.............you will need the jail house like kennel. Don