The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Puppy DVD or Book

Default Good Puppy DVD or Book

I've used Duck Dog Basics and I have the Smartworks. I'm getting a puppy soon and I'm looking for a book or DVD that has the best puppy program.

I'd like something that shows you who and what age to introduce birds, live birds, water, decoys and everything else and how many days to do that for how long.

or maybe you guys could just help me out either way thanks!

I highly recommend Hillman's Puppy DVD based on my pups progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    I've used Duck Dog Basics and I have the Smartworks. I'm getting a puppy soon and I'm looking for a book or DVD that has the best puppy program.

I'd like something that shows you who and what age to introduce birds, live birds, water, decoys and everything else and how many days to do that for how long.

Don't get caught in that trap....Maybe instead of thinking in human days, think in dog understanding days.

Hillman puppy!

Id start doing all the above right away but the hard part is to tell you how much and how to go about doing it over the internet because it all depends on the pup. So much of dog training is reacting to what the dog is telling you no matter what age he is. That is hard to do in a video. Here's a recent video of a 10 week old puppy

Another with a different pup same age doing a mark with a little cover and terrain involved

Here's Homer taking some cover that he could have easily gone around. He learned to do this in one week while I was in AZ for Christmas. Point being it is never to early to introduce a pup to anything that they will encounter later in training. Doing it early makes later sooo much smoother.

One more.

What Smartwork material do you have? I assume it isn't the Puppy Program DVD?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Jackie Mertens' "Sound Beginnings" offers good advice on the very basics of teaching a pup how to learn. And forget the calendar. Let your dog tell you how he's doing.