The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Universal Health Care

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    You have easily jumped to conclusions, menmon.

First, when I had employer insurance with a small company (about 10 employees, including the owners), I was the one in charge of selecting it. I specifically looked for the group provider that would allow employees to "convert" to private policy if they left this employer. I paid myself, as a self-employed individual, on that "converted" health insurance for 20 years. This was intended, and did, protect ALL the employees from being left without a job and a pre-existing condition that would prevent them from getting private insurance. Since I had been licensed in life/health insurance, I had some background knowledge that some other people might not have had, and maybe some empathy for those I had seen get left without health insurance.

I'd venture that there might be many employer group policies that would allow "conversion" to individual policies. The premium will be higher, yes, but it would help those with pre-existing conditions as their coverage will not be interrupted. Mike would know better if that has become less available since back then.

While it was sometimes difficult to pay that premium over the years, I took responsibility for doing so, and gave up some other things, even though I was fortunate to be healthy and never exceeded my annual deductible.

You may be contributing to Medicare ... as I did since it's beginning and that doesn't stop while you're still working after age 65. I also pay an additional $104/mo for Part B coverage and always will. Those premiums go up each year, even when SS benefits don't. Not much, you might say, but more than many Medicaid recipients may pay. For seniors on SS less fortunate than I am, that is not such a "free ride."

I also carry a Medicare supplement which may not be needed now, but might be if I get a catastrophic illness, not unlikely as I get older. I also carry additional nursing home insurance so I won't be a strain on the Medicaid system if I ever have to spend extended time in a nursing home (the cost of which is astronomical as I learned when my mother was in a nursing home for two years). I started paying on that when I was about 45 since I knew that I could get the better premium the younger I started with it.

Over the years I have done every type of job from washing dishes, to cleaning houses, to retail, to legal secretary, to ultimately being a general manager for a small OTC company later sold to a big-pharma company.

I did take riding lessons in college, but I prefer driving my 10-yr-old Toyota Highlander Perhaps you ride horses more than I do?
    It is very clear that you have been blessed and able to plan for your future without leaving burden on your loved one!

Here is an example of why the previous system failed. 24 yr old employee, opting out of insurance by us, because lazy bum husband does want her paycheck reduced, now is pregnant and gave notice yesterday that her last day will be March 1st. No insurance and who picks up the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    It is very clear that you have been blessed and able to plan for your future without leaving burden on your loved one!

Here is an example of why the previous system failed. 24 yr old employee, opting out of insurance by us, because lazy bum husband does want her paycheck reduced, now is pregnant and gave notice yesterday that her last day will be March 1st. No insurance and who picks up the bill?

Nice.... Her husband should get a good kick in the arse. Does he do anything or is he living off of the wife he just knocked up?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Nice.... Her husband should get a good kick in the arse. Does he do anything or is he living off of the wife he just knocked up?
    She has worked for me 2 years and is a very good worker and he has only been employeed 2 months of those 2 years. On payday, he is here to pick up her checks right when the checks are delivered even if she is working that day. Yesterday I could not help myself when she told me, I told her her life just got a lot harder and highlighted the fact that he won't work now so what is she going to do when the baby comes. She just looked at me with nothing to say.

I told her a month ago that if she wanted out of it, I would help her. Obviously I was too late with my offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    The housing market was also reformed in the 90's and this house of cards came crashing down in 2007-2009.

If the ACA does go into complete implementation this, pie in the sky, will also fall to the ground in 10-15 years. Then the current president, not now but then, will get the blame.

The main problem is, with our current level of debt, the intervals between these events are becoming shorter and shorter. Also, the bullets left to alleviate these problems are very few. A world currency is one major bullet left but most refer to this as conspiracy theory thinking.

Dan
    It will not take ten years, more like three. All health insurance pools eventually go in to a death spiral if the new blood of healthy underwritten participants drys up. The ACA is starting out without underwriting or young healthy participants. Add to this making certain mandatory coverages that have no business being insured makes the certainty of a death spiral for this program sooner than later. Many of these newly insured people will rush out to get treatment they have been putting off or neglected because of no prior coverage.
    The premiums necessary to support this program will be beyond the reach of most to be able to pay regardless of the threat of penalties from the Fed. The healthiest of those currently enrolled will start bailing out leaving only those with major problems. It will crater under its own weight and it will happen quickly.
    Last edited by M&K's Retrievers; 01-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Who picks up the bill? The village like always. Nothing
    has changed in that regard.
    Last edited by M&K's Retrievers; 01-17-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

She has worked for me 2 years and is a very good worker and he has only been employeed 2 months of those 2 years. On payday, he is here to pick up her checks right when the checks are delivered even if she is working that day. Yesterday I could not help myself when she told me, I told her her life just got a lot harder and highlighted the fact that he won't work now so what is she going to do when the baby comes. She just looked at me with nothing to say.

I told her a month ago that if she wanted out of it, I would help her. Obviously I was too late with my offer.
    Then by all means, reward this behavior with a free ride.

Sometimes the best learned lessons come from the school of hard knocks!
    Last edited by road kill; 01-17-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Who picks up the bill? The village like always. Nothing
    has changed in that regard.
    No that is wrong...think I'm dumb enough to walk into that trap....it is the $300 a pay period she will be taxed for not having insurance.

No that is wrong...think I'm dumb enough to walk into that trap....it is the $300 a pay period she will be taxed for not having insurance.
    I missed this. WTF are you talking about? Oh, and yes, if you believe so strongly in the ACA (which I doubt), I think you would walk into any trap.
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I missed this. WTF are you talking about? Oh, and yes, if you believe so strongly in the ACA (which I doubt), I think you would walk into any trap.
    Hello, Menmom. What is this $300 BS?
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

She gets paid every 2 years.