The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Insurance Question on Kennel / Home

Default Insurance Question on Kennel / Home

We currently have kennel insurance through Hartford Insurance. This week my homeowners (through Grange) cancelled my insurance due to having a kennel on the premises even though we have separate insurance on it.
    Has anyone else had this problem with homeowners? If so what company did you manage to get insurance through?
    Also any other companies offering kennel coverage?
    Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Home of:
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide Ryder MH CGC TDI (Passed the 2011 Master National Qualified for '12)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Gremlin Reaper MH CGC ('11 & 12 Master National Qualified)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide River Rush MH CGC ('11 & 12) Master National Qualified passed 2013)
    HRCH Trinity's God of Thunder SH CGC (3 MH pass)
    Trinity's Bird of Prey MH CGC TDI
    Trinity's Blue Moon Rising (1 MH pass)

My kennel is covered on my homeowners as a separate building. Since I am a breeding kennel and not a commercial training facility, they didn't have the liability concerns of bites or other issues that come with lots of people coming and going on the property.

Meredith

Most insurance companies don't like 'Business Pursuits" on the premises. Some incidental stuff is OK like music lessons or tutoring. Some companies may also include a Day Care with only a few kids. More and more they are getting away from anything to do with dogs as Dog Bites are #1 Liability claim on Homeowner's Insurance. even though you have a separate Commercial Liability Policy they could still get named and at least have to pay to defend any dog bite from an invited or uninvited guest.

Go to some independent agents websites that would have access to a number of companies. He could put the word out on your specifics and see who is writing this business. Go to The Insurance Journal- Forum- section and ask the question. National publication with agents from all over the Country.

You might get someone with a Dog Bite exclusion written into the policy willing to insure you. Or, try a company that writes Farm exposures and is used to animals on the premises.

I don't have a kennel, but I do have a home based business. I was insured with State Farm for 10 years for home and Nationwide for business. 10 years ago I moved into a new home and State Farm said if I didn't bring my commercial over to them , then they were going to discontinue my homeowners. I have 5 daughters with State Farm at the time. I told them to shove it and took everything to Nationwide. About 2 months later State Farm said they would reconsider, I said forget it. I guess losing my business and my daughters' business took a good bit of commission away from that agent. 5 homes, 18 cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. State Farm did not offer commercial when I started my business.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Quote Originally Posted by trinitylabs View Post
    We currently have kennel insurance through Hartford Insurance. This week my homeowners (through Grange) cancelled my insurance due to having a kennel on the premises even though we have separate insurance on it.
    Has anyone else had this problem with homeowners? If so what company did you manage to get insurance through?
    Also any other companies offering kennel coverage?
    Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    That's weird. I have all my insurance through Grange, including my kennel. It shows it being insured as a grooming/boarding facility,

Must be the season. We were dropped this past month from Farmers after 8 years and 1 hail damage claim. Even though I have seperate insurance for the kennel business (they didnt want the liability since it was the same address and same driveway entrance) from Mourer-Foster Inc. covers $25,000 per client dog and over $50,000 on the kennel/shed. 2,000,000 liability. Previous folks who think they have insurance be for-warned that the coverage you have is for the business you have. Went to AAA cheaper on vehicles and more liabilty coverage to boot! Some things happen for a reason!

Our Homeowners is through American Family and the 'kennel' is through Mourer Foster-Kennel Pro. Been this way for the last five years and (so far) no issues.
    Jeff Kolanski
    www.WaterfowlLabs.com

HR UH Tealwood's Bogart JH "Bogart"
    HRCH UH Moreau's 12 Gauge Bossman "Jax"

Land of Lakes Hunting Retriever Club - Minneapolis, MN
    www.llhrc.org

You could resurvey and have your kennel as a separate address.
    Tom Dorroh