The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IS this the proper action to take

Default IS this the proper action to take

My beloved little guy has learned he is tall enough to knock over the kitchen garbage can. So when I catch him jumping up on it I give him a quick ear pinch and tell him no. I usually continue the pressure until all four are back on the ground. Is this the correct way to break this behavior. He just started doing this last night.

Thanks
    Matt

I think the quickest fix is to get yourself some mousetraps. When he accidentally hits the trap it will go off and the noise will scare him. you can tell him "no" and then engage him in proper behavior. You didn't say how old this pup is, however it sounds like a young one, and I don't want to set up a negative for force fetch later on.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

If you are going to FF with an ear pinch ,I would make some other correction for getting in the can...like a swat on the rump with a rolled up paper and a firm GET OUT OF THERE ...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

11 weeks. I like the mouse trap Idea but it is a no go with the 2 yr old around the house. I will switch to a rump slap.

Quote Originally Posted by Majja13 View Post
    My beloved little guy has learned he is tall enough to knock over the kitchen garbage can. So when I catch him jumping up on it I give him a quick ear pinch and tell him no. I usually continue the pressure until all four are back on the ground. Is this the correct way to break this behavior. He just started doing this last night.

Thanks
    Matt
    Matt,
    When I first read this, I just rolled my eyes and counted to ten before responding. I really, really, really, really hope you are not fishing.....

What is the purpose of ear pinch? Why on earth would you go through all of that, when a simple verbal somewhat harsh NO would of convey the message?

Please don't do that again.....You have the knowledge I think, let's use it right for it's intended purpose. OK
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Matt,
    When I first read this, I just rolled my eyes and counted to ten before responding. I really, really, really, really hope you are not fishing.....

What is the purpose of ear pinch? Why on earth would you go through all of that, when a simple verbal somewhat harsh NO would of convey the message?

Please don't do that again.....You have the knowledge I think, let's use it right for it's intended purpose. OK
    Thanks
    Damn dude who got your panties in a wad. I agree not to pinch his ear for that but at least he asked if he should be doing something else. Stupid comments like yours are just rude and pointless. I rolled my eyes and counted to 10 before posting also!
    HRCH Wagzu's Sound of Dixie--Echo
    Warbird's Little Call Girl--Hooker
    RIP Smokingolds Wild Child--Rebel

I am here to help...From your comment...you must be a young pup, otherwise, your comment about panties must be on your mind. If you are here to help then help, otherwise it is in your best interests to count to 20.

Im here to learn and help, im sure not here to be a douche and post stupid rude comments for no reason. You must be an old grouch dog in heat since many of your comments tend to be rude. Feel free to pm me if youd like to argue more I dont want to clutter up this guys post arguing with someone who obviously is just looking for an argument while he can hide behind a computer.
    HRCH Wagzu's Sound of Dixie--Echo
    Warbird's Little Call Girl--Hooker
    RIP Smokingolds Wild Child--Rebel

Damn...You are bent out of shape. Very sorry....Hope you have a better tomorrow.

I just thought that the ear pinch was just a negative pressure. If I had wanted to troll I can come up with some better stuff then this. Thanks for the replies.

Matt