The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IS this the proper action to take

My kitchen trash is in cupboard under sink with a kid-proof latch on door (one dog discovered she could break in at age 4!), recycle bin in kitchen closet, all bathrooms have waste baskets with lids. This way everything and everybody is pretty safe and secure and one less thing for me to nag dogs about!

Some of these fixes are hilarious-especially yours Sharon Potter!
    Not been mentioned yet but helpful with this sort of thing - Take a coke can ,put some pennies in it-tape the top shut. When you catch him into something like trash, counter hopping,stealing,etc.. throw the can at him -not to hit him- but scare him . It will hit the floor by him and startle him while you shout NO-or whatever.
    note- this only works until they figure its cool to pick it up and carry it off. Then, I guess you'd go with Sharon's idea!
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    MY old JRT, Russell, had a garbage habit when I got him.

I set him up. Left the lid open with something tempting inside (not that the lid ever stopped him, but I wanted to make my correction easy) and stepped around the corner. When he jumped up to knock it over, I came in behind him, stuffed him in the garbage can, shut the lid, and rolled it across the kitchen floor a few times. (not unlike the old time deer breaking method). And that was the end of his dumpster diving.
    Loved this one Sharon!

As for the pup if he's not 100% supervised (meaning tethered to you), he should be in his crate. This goes for both potty training and preventing bad things from happening, like eating something that puts him in the hospital, or worse.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    Some of these fixes are hilarious-especially yours Sharon Potter!
    Not been mentioned yet but helpful with this sort of thing - Take a coke can ,put some pennies in it-tape the top shut. When you catch him into something like trash, counter hopping,stealing,etc.. throw the can at him -not to hit him- but scare him . It will hit the floor by him and startle him while you shout NO-or whatever.
    note- this only works until they figure its cool to pick it up and carry it off. Then, I guess you'd go with Sharon's idea!
    Not to be an a-hole but I'm not a fan of scaring little puppies, especially with noise.
    Darrin Greene

Put the dog in a kennel

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    MY old JRT, Russell, had a garbage habit when I got him.

I set him up. Left the lid open with something tempting inside (not that the lid ever stopped him, but I wanted to make my correction easy) and stepped around the corner. When he jumped up to knock it over, I came in behind him, stuffed him in the garbage can, shut the lid, and rolled it across the kitchen floor a few times. (not unlike the old time deer breaking method). And that was the end of his dumpster diving.
    Dam, I would not want to piss you off...........Don

"IS this the proper action to take"

No.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Get a tattle-tale tail! My oldest dog has always been a perfect angel in the house. No counter surfing, dumpster diving, chewing, messing, etc.etc.etc. Now that he is retired, he has decided its OK to break ALL the rules. Most of the time a quick "no" suffices if you catch him. But he has gotten sneaky lately and waits until we are out of sight. After Christmas dinner, we were in the living room listening to music. Our Chessie, Scout, (who was a notorious garbage thief in his youth) came roaring in growling and jumping! As soon as we stood up he tore off back to the kitchen. Indy was waist deep into the garbage searching out the beef rib bones! Talk about your well timed correction! I did sort of like Sharon's idea, but instead of trying to force a 70# adult lab into a plastic garbage can, I just shoved it all around his front end and wouldn't let him out for a few seconds. It was pretty funny, but not near as funny as the grin on Scout's face!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My personal favorite is still the mousetrap. Even with a small child, I wouldn't give up using this method when it is set up right:

Leave the garbage out with something smelling good inside and about 3/4 of the way to the top. Place a mouse trap on top of the garbage and under a lightly placed paper towel so they can't see it. Deliberately let the pup have at the can while you're out of sight or at least concealed. When he/she sticks their head over the top, the first bit of movement or pressure on the paper towel will release the trap and scare the pup enough to prevent them going near the garbage for a while.

-Maybe not as long as getting it snapped in paw or face without the towel covering it, but it will still leave a lasting impression.

It hasn't taken me more than an hour to hear the tell-tale "snap-yipe" when set up with the right bait.

Good luck

As for the pup if he's not 100% supervised (meaning tethered to you), he should be in his crate. This goes for both potty training and preventing bad things from happening, like eating something that puts him in the hospital, or worse.[/QUOTE]

I agree. An 11 week old pup should be either 100% engaged with you while playing/training, in his crate or tethered to your belt if you're doing busy work and want him out of his crate. Prevention. Not into scaring a baby (and that's what he is) or possibly causing harm with a mouse trap. House proof - we do it all the time for our children, why not pups?