The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: timidness when doing T-drills

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    This could be totally off base--disadvantage of not being able to see the dog work--but are you sure he knows when he has done what you want? I am big on giving them a "good dog, here!" (Transitioning to "good dog" and a pickup whistle). Some dogs need it more than others, but good feedback can really help training progress and attitude. Imagine how tentative you would be if you never could tell if you were doing right or not.

If I was training this dog I'd try taking a break from pressure on the send.

There's a preference among some to keep praise to a minimum, thinking it's cool never to praise and a good dog shouldn't need it. I'd suggest treating that as an endpoint for a finished trial dog, and using every available tool while the dog is learning.

Amy Dahl

absolutely this!!

There is so much pressure in pile and T work, that I cant imagine not giving praise when the dogs performs task correctly.
    You apply pressure on a send or two, then on the freebee you see what you got from that pressure. If the dog "got it",
    then "GOOD DOG"!!!!! Maybe even a short fun bumper!! Always end on a good note.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Thanks Amy,

I appreciate the advice, I am normally not to big on giving ton of praise until the end of the drill. Then we will usually have play time which just consists of my best mickey mouse impersonation and tossing a bumper back towards the pile. Although I have been doing this throughout the drills now to try and see if it helps with his drive. I haven't noticed much difference. After I had originally posted this I went to take him out of the kennel and notice that he was "coughing" to me it sounded more like the was trying to hack something up that was stuck in his throat. I took him to the vet and turned out to be kennel cough, the vet wants him to take it easy for about a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    What Amy says makes sense. To add to that, I had a dog here last year that was so shut down that she wouldn't move off of a whistle sit to handle, and the pressure she'd had before she came here had totally shot her confidence. I started over, with lots of happy bumpers....and on the praise end of things, I was whooping and hollering and acting excited every time she would go, and lots of praise on the way back. I looked and felt like a total dufus...but it made a huge difference for her. I let a lot of things slide because I didn't want to make many corrections, just trying to get her fired up about the work again. As we worked out way back to simple casting, I'd start doing the cheerleader thing as soon as she would start to take the cast, and you could see how it helped her enthusiasm levels....it's like it gave her confidence that she was doing the right thing. And it was always done in very short sessions of just a few bumpers...maybe three....then quit and do more later. I always wanted to let her leave a session excited and wanting more.
    Very helpful! I guess I need to pick my praise up to the next level!