The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter evening ramblings

Default Winter evening ramblings

I recently attended a workshop on habitat restoration and quail management. One of the speakers if the manager on one of the oldest leases on the King Ranch and has devoted his life to quail hunting. He was talking about how he saw the future of the sport and his view was pretty pessimistic. These days he sees Quail hunting as an "old man's" sport. His position is that it has gotten so expensive that folks don't bring kids and so the next generation is not being exposed to the "camaraderie" of the quail hunt. The way quail are hunted in these parts is the dogs are run from a truck, usually a 4wd crew cab with a dog box on the back and sometimes seats on top of the dog box. They carry enough dogs to be able to switch them out fairly frequently. The hunters visit, enjoy each other's company, close business deals, and so on while the dogs run, getting down once a dog is on point. Well, the speaker's big point concerned the camaraderie and how that was the main attraction for many.
    Now, I don't hunt quail, for one thing it is too darned expensive, but also, it's just not my thing. Yesterday the knucklehead and I were out dove hunting and I got to thinking about this manager's point about the fellowship and I realized that I almost always hunt alone, just the dog and me. I like it that way. On the rare occasions when I duck hunt I prefer to go with one other person (two at the most), and that's primarily to have help carrying all the tack. I am not really interested in going on a group bird hunt. When alone I don't have to be as concerned about getting shot (or shooting someone). Don't have to worry about the ethics of the other hunters (many don't adhere to the same code), it's just simpler. It is a time for the dog and me to be alone in nature, sitting and observing. I am very comfortable being out with the dog and no one else. I will admit to enjoying gathering back at the camp or whatever after the hunt, but, at least when dove hunting I prefer to hunt alone. Any other loners out there or do ya'll go into the field for the camaraderie?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I fall into the camaraderie group. The main reason I don't deer hunt is when there's nothing to watch I can't BS with my buddies in the deer blind, I can in the duck blind. I enjoy the company of my dog but he's not much of a conversationalist, and gets down right unhappy when the birds aren't flying.
    Daren Galloway

I agree with you big thing....It's not about the shoot, it's being with a good dog and enjoy what little freedom we have left. The outdoors is my church. I would not have it any other way. I just hope the future generation when it comes time in their life will understand what we have and will hopefully protect the precious moments past and future.
    One can only hope.....

I spend many hours sitting alone in photo blinds, so am used to the solitude, but I also spend time in the photo blinds with other people and enjoy both. I do know that there are certain subjects that I almost certainly won't see if there is anyone else in the blind as it is just too hard to be completely silent unless I am alone. I prefer nilgai hunting with at least one other male and even better two other adult males along as those buggers are really heavy and getting them up and into the truck is more than my wife and I can do alone. When it comes to dove hunting, on the rare occasions when I take someone along, we still sit too far apart to converse, I really prefer to be far enough away to be pretty much out of range, actually.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I spend many hours sitting alone in photo blinds, so am used to the solitude, but I also spend time in the photo blinds with other people and enjoy both. I do know that there are certain subjects that I almost certainly won't see if there is anyone else in the blind as it is just too hard to be completely silent unless I am alone. I prefer nilgai hunting with at least one other male and even better two other adult males along as those buggers are really heavy and getting them up and into the truck is more than my wife and I can do alone. When it comes to dove hunting, on the rare occasions when I take someone along, we still sit too far apart to converse, I really prefer to be far enough away to be pretty much out of range, actually.
    I understand....

It varies greatly for me depending on what I am hunting. Deer hunting I prefer to be primarily in solitude. Duck and goose hunting I love the camaraderie of good friends / gunning partners in the blind. I also love introducing youth hunters to the sport and feel it is crucial to the longevity of outdoor sports going forward. As well, some of my most rewarding hunts have been helping a physically challenged hunter experience what so many of us take for granted.

When it comes to sharing my blind with another hunter wanting to take his dog along and the dog has no manners, whines incesently, and the owner has no control of the dog, I would rather slam my hand in a car door!

For upland bird hunting, I prefer to hunt with one up to perhaps two other hunters, but also enjoy hunting alone with my dog as well.

Irishwhistler

I have a friend who is a deer hunter but has never been much of a bird hunter. He wants his son to be introduced to bird hunting, so I am taking them on a dove hunt this weekend. My friend says that he is not ready for his son to be shooting, but wants him go come along as an observer. I will say that my dove hunting hasn't been that great with only a few birds, so the action is pretty slow and I wouldn't want a complete beginner toting a loaded shotgun under these conditions, but don't mind having a tagalong.
    Irishwhistler wouldn't want to hunt with my dog as he is very high strung and if there is no action he gets pretty annoying with really loud panting and whining. I have never been able to break that and have been told (by many on this board) that it is one of the hardest challenges in dog training.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

I guess my question would be why is quail hunting considered expensive? I consider waterfowl to be the most expensive due to equipment involved, followed by big game due to permit cost, & travel. Quail at least in my area; all you need is a shotgun, lead loads, get out on federal land with the dog and walk them down.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Hugh

I am a Mirror image of you first post..

I enjoy hunting alone. the "camaraderie" for me is the bond between dog and I..

If I do hunt with someone else, its with my son.... That doesnt happen enough these days.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Plus,, In a group setting,,, I think everybody shoots to fast!!!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"