The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter evening ramblings

My brothers and I were raised with a deep respect for nature and the out of doors. As I seldom attend church I guess you could say my cathederal is the woods. I've had many a long talk with the MAN while sitting alone in the deer stand. He's really a good listener, much like my dog. They both are more than happy to give me their time and a listening ear. When it comes to ducks and geese, it's usually me and the dog (Cruger) and a friend or two. Perhaps the best of all is just the two of us hunting Reilly Brook for grouse and timberdoddles. Just the two of us! Walk for a half hour, stop at one of our make shift duck blinds for a bit maybe a mallard or woodie will come. Just waste away the day with my best buddie. There's plenty of time back at the shack to BS and have a cold one while suppers cooking and the dog is curled up by the wood stove. A Person (I'm being politically correct) and their Dog enjoying the hunt together, it just doesn't get any better!
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

I hunt both ways. Dove opener is usually and group hunt with friends of mine coming out from the east. Waterfowl I hunt alone about half the time. Most of the guys that got me started into waterfowl have passed on or have gotten to old to go any longer. I truly miss those times we had together. I have introduced a few new guys to hunting but they have family commitments most of the time. I do enjoy the solitude on ocassion with just me and the dog(s) as well. On those days I am by myself I tend to go off of the grid and hunt different locations to see what is happening elswhere. But either way I always enjoy the days afield.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I guess my question would be why is quail hunting considered expensive? I consider waterfowl to be the most expensive due to equipment involved, followed by big game due to permit cost, & travel. Quail at least in my area; all you need is a shotgun, lead loads, get out on federal land with the dog and walk them down.
    Well, lets start with $9.00-$15.00/acre for the quail lease (that does usually include deer, hogs, javelina, dove, and maybe nilgai): since quail are not migratory, you are harvesting a resident population, thus it takes lots of land to have a sustainable huntable population so figure the average lease is several thousand acres. Then there are the dogs (frequently four or more pointers and then often at least one retriever), plus the truck to carry them, and so on. That's expensive in my book. Deer hunting in these parts can be even higher. Duck hunting is often done on public land in the bays, but there is no public quail hunting an virtually no public deer or dove hunting. It is possible to find private landowners who will allow dove hunting for free (although that is getting harder too).
    Last edited by HPL; 01-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Wow who would've thought that the far West States particularly CA had something positive about them . I can hunt 3 types of quail on Federal Land, in almost the exact same area, not forgetting wild chukar, Dove and now wild Turkey. Have to drive North or South for wild Pheasants. While I've heard of a Duck-Goose lease (which also can be done on Federal land/rivers), I've never heard of a Quail lease, the little Buggers particularly gambles, run everywhere in the CA, NV, and AZ desert.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I guess my question would be why is quail hunting considered expensive?
    Because your view of quail hunting is regional. In classic Bobwhite quail country the range and number of birds has declined dramatically in my adult lifetime. There was a time when quail were plentiful within less than 100 miles of D/FW International airport. Today they are not only not plentiful they are non existent for 200-300 miles. The causes are many and studied but the reality is to have wild quail hunting requires huge amounts of land (all privately owned), predator control, a kennel filled with well trained pointers, and favorable nesting and brood rearing conditions. The situation in the southeast is similar so quail hunting is off the board for the average guy hunter from Georgia to West Texas.
    Last edited by EdA; 01-07-2014 at 03:00 PM.

what the heck is a quail?

anyone that likes to hunt ducks alone just does not like to hunt ducks as much as i do. i have found that to shoot 60 wild ducks legally in the mississippi flyway, i need to hunt with at least 9 other licensed and/or under 16 year old friends! i can be alone anytime, hunting is a party!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Because your view of quail hunting is regional. In classic Bobwhite quail country the range and number of birds has declined dramatically in my adult lifetime. There was a time when quail were plentiful within less than 100 miles of D/FW International airport. Today they are not only not plentiful they are non existent for 200-300 miles. The causes are many and studied but the reality is to have wild quail hunting requires huge amounts of land (all privately owned), predator control, a kennel filled with well trained pointers, and favorable nesting and brood rearing conditions. The situation in the southeast is similar so quail hunting is off the board for the average guy hunter from Georgia to West Texas.
    Bingo!! Several of the "wide place in the road" towns in this area have airports that can accommodate a G5 or bigger because of the hunters that fly in. Holt/Caterpillar owns a property in this area. I know of at least one hunting "camp" on leased land that has a $3,000,000.00 camp house. If you want a lease in this area you will be competing with the likes of the Waltons, Carl Rove, James Baker, and numerous oil companies, & other such entities. Don't forget that it was in this area that Dick Cheney shot that lawyer on a quail hunt. It doesn't help matters that 825,000 acres around here belong to the same outfit, with a number of other relatively large properties in the hands of a few old families. Texas has virtually NO public land and South Texas even less than the average for the rest of the state. There might be some BLM land in the panhandle or far west Texas, but Texas is VERY large and I am sort of down near the bottom. For EdA to get from the DFW area down to where I am is about 375 miles as the crow flies and somewhat over 400 if one is driving. About the same distance as from DFW to the middle of Louisiana, and he is actually closer to Wichita, KS than to me.
    Last edited by HPL; 01-07-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: confusion, typos, etc.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Just read this.
    I mostly hunted alone. I got tired of having to pick shallow water spots because when a bird went down in the moving water, I had to run out there with a long handled landing net and scoop up the bird before it floated away.
    Then I got Trap.
    I love spending time with him. Never talks back, and always listens to my jabbering.
    The good Lord and I also have some great times together.
    I do like hunting with a few guys, but most times our work schedules dont coincide.
    There are many reasons I dont like hunting with others too.
    Hunting isnt training time per say. Yeah, maybe working on steady when someone else shoots, but not trying to get their untrained house pet to retrieve, or sit, or other annoyences that go with an untrained, house pet, they want to be a hunting dog.
    Not calling the shot so we all shoot at the same time, even tho its been discussed. Not calling a bird.
    Not going prepared. Many more things, but think you all know.....
    I am not perfect, nor is Trap, so hunting alone makes me feel so!!!!
    Quail??
    Yeah, okay.....
    Im not walking all over, chasing a dog, to shoot something that small, that only requires some shooting skill.
    Dekes, camo, calling, etc, all come together for a challenge to out smart educated birds to come to you.