The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenneled or house dog?

Default Kenneled or house dog?

Just curious more than anything.. Been reading through several posts, and began to wonder what everyone prefers and why? Also if anyone thinks a kenneled dog would preform better than a house dog or vice versa? I understand pro trainers would obviously kennel for the simple fact of not wanting a bunch of dogs in the house.. Mainly wondering if anyone that has done both noticed a difference in drive and or willingness to work? Logically it would make sense to me that a kenneled dog might be a little more "excited" about getting to work since they don't have "free" roam in a house or yard.

I personally keep mine in the house, crate trained of course. She is my third retriever, all of which kept in the house and have never had a "desire" to work issue myself.

I keep mine in a kennel unless its extremely cold here. I believe it helps them stay use to the weather so when they hit cold water it does not mess with them. In saying that I do not have proven data saying where this is exactly fact, its just my theory.

Seen both do well. My last dog was a house dog/kennel dog as is the dog I have now. Different dogs have different temperaments. Some dogs are just more excited dogs and have more drive than others. I leave my dog outside in his pen when I am at work or gone somewhere but he sleeps in the house most of the time. I do agree with TEX though on conditioning them to the temps and this is partially the reason I leave mine outside a lot.

My AWS are strictly house dogs. The only time we kennel them is if we're gone for several hours or when they get back from hunting and are wet.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

They way I look at it, I have too much time and money invested in that dog to just leave it outside. I don't leave my shotgun outside.

Again, it's personal preference.

House dog and wouldn't have it any other way. You can only hunt or trial so many days out of the year, a companion is every day

House dog! Doesn't seem to affect his desire to be outside in the cold. He seems to think the colder the better.

My NFC slept in my bed when he was at home during his competing career. He slept in my Pro's house (Mike Lardy) part of the time he was in training----as do most of the truck dogs training with Mike do. They take turns being house dogs with Mike and his associate trainer Ray Voigt.
    My NFC's latest son is ten weeks old and under the computer table as I type. He sleeps in my bed at night along with my cat that is bigger than he is.

Competitive dogs do great with also being house dogs.

Marilyn Fender mf96nfc@centurytel.net
    Windstorm Retrievers in Georgia and Wisconsin
    Home of NFC AFC Storm's Riptide Star (Rascal) and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC Quik Windstorm (Chip)
    and where Rascal's newest son is at 10 weeks old Windstorm Picks It Up (Pick-It)

I kennel only at night unless it's to cold (in the teens) then I crate inside. During the day I have a 1 acre fenced yard they roam free in. I can see the difference when I'm hunting. They don't seem to get cold and shivery after a long wait between birds when they have been staying outside vs. being inside. It just seems they are acclimated to the weather. The drive and desire seems to be the same though. Just my 2 cents, ultimately each dog will be different.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

Our FC/AFC Ruby. her daughter Sally (an AFC working on her FC) and Sally's 8 month old pup Maggie are house dogs when not training. They are in the family room all day long sleeping in front of the fireplace. At night they sleep in our heated daylight basement. Not kenneled, they sleep on dog beds on the heated floor. Being house dogs has made no difference in the way they train or compete. We do have 4 outdoor chain link dog runs that are used in the summer when company comes. Usually its the company's dogs that are in the dog runs. Our dogs run free outside and wear containment collars because we have an underground containment fence to keep them on the property. They are outside dogs, too, because they play in snow, train in cold weather, and swim in cold water. Non-training days is when they sleep in the house in front of the fireplace.