The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kenneled or house dog?

House mutt.here.
    Laying on my lap in the recliner as I type this!
    No loss of drive or lack of , in cold water.
    i think a better bond happens when they are a constant companion.
    My 90 pounder loves to crawl in bed with me after I fall asleep, and lay next to me with his head on my chest or across my neck.
    I have a buddy, not a dog. He is one of the family.

House dog most of the time, but if I lock and keep her locked up and work other dogs prior to event day, she does do better. But then I have to deal with the HOWWWWLLLL, so it's a trade off.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

It would be inhuman to leave your dog out without shelter and a dog house that can keep him warm enough.

So, what is the difference between your dog hunkering down in a warm and cozy dog house vs your warm and cozy house?

It seems to me that your dog isn't getting any more acclimated to the cold in a good dog house vs in the human house.
    Renee P

I personally agree with the majority that have chimed in on this topic. Mine stays inside (when I'm home) not because I don't think she could handle the weather if left outside, but I enjoy her company and prefer her being with me more than not. I also have a large backyard, which she stays in while I'm gone with free roam and access to my garage where one of her crates is. And, as luck would have it, she has won over my wife, who was less than thrilled I was bringing another dawg home. So now she comes inside when the wifes home, even if I'm not

Marilyn - thanks for chiming in, I find that very interesting and awesome actually. I wouldn't have guessed such a high profile trainer such as Lardy would keep dogs in the house, let alone clients dogs. Pretty cool IMO

In the house, except the one strange critter who prefers to spend his days in his hole on the dog truck. He is usually there unless it is too hot. Then he prefers the tile floor in one of the bathrooms next to the AC duct.

Haven't had all four at home at once, but can get three on the couch with my wife and me and three on the bed, although when all three are up there it is usually my signal to get moving and give them some room

My kennels are in my house? Have 3 5x10 set up in the basement for when we're not at home and they come upstairs when we are.

My dogs stay in the house with us and become part of the family. About the only time they stay outside is when they are at their trainers.

Marylin, I find that interesting about Lardy and I would have never guessed that about him. Thanks for that interesting tidbit of info.

I'm trying to make my lab a house dog but it seems he doesn't care or pay near as much attention now when training. I guess when it gets a ill warmer he'll go back to kennel until all his formal training is over.

Sarge stays in the house year round. He knows when to flip the switch and when to lay low. He's very protective of my 3 yr old son and I wouldn't have it any other way honestly! BUT.... as soon as I get a gun out of the safe all h*ll breaks loose and he's ready to roll!!!
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

My personal dog stays in the house and does everything with the family. She gets on the truck and trains every day after all of my client dogs have been run. I do find that every now and then she gets an attitude that she is too good to be a dog. I have found that after a night or two out in a run she is a completely different animal and has regained focus.