The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kenneled or house dog?

You folks are so mean. I let mine ride in the back seat and they sleep on the bed

Both are inside, always. My bride says so
    Goldens Rule !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Fender View Post
    My NFC slept in my bed when he was at home during his competing career. He slept in my Pro's house (Mike Lardy) part of the time he was in training----as do most of the truck dogs training with Mike do. They take turns being house dogs with Mike and his associate trainer Ray Voigt.
    My NFC's latest son is ten weeks old and under the computer table as I type. He sleeps in my bed at night along with my cat that is bigger than he is.

Competitive dogs do great with also being house dogs.

Marilyn Fender mf96nfc@centurytel.net
    Windstorm Retrievers in Georgia and Wisconsin
    Home of NFC AFC Storm's Riptide Star (Rascal) and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC Quik Windstorm (Chip)
    and where Rascal's newest son is at 10 weeks old Windstorm Picks It Up (Pick-It)
    Holy smokes....Thanks for sharing that info....

Mine are in the house and in bed with me at night. It cuts down on the heat bill.

This has caused some issues to show up at tests. While we walk 3-5 miles a day on the sidewalk, it has not really acclimated their paws to heat. A hunt test we did in Texas in October the ground was so hot he wouldn't sit or stay next to me and kept on running under the judges tent. Luckily for me the judge asked if he was an inside dog and when I said yes he got some water to put on the ground to cool it off. The judge also told me that no where in the rules did it mandate that the dog had to sit so I shouldn't even try it. We passed but I still wouldn't have the dogs outside over a ribbon.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Who was the judge PAMK????? That is great
    "Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is"

Inside at night and each has their own beds. Outside during the day while I'm at work. We have a doggy door going to the garage so they can get in and out as they please. They also have crates in the garage with bedding there. Most nights they both get up around midnight and want outside for the rest of the night.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    Mine are in the house and in bed with me at night. It cuts down on the heat bill.

This has caused some issues to show up at tests. While we walk 3-5 miles a day on the sidewalk, it has not really acclimated their paws to heat. A hunt test we did in Texas in October the ground was so hot he wouldn't sit or stay next to me and kept on running under the judges tent. Luckily for me the judge asked if he was an inside dog and when I said yes he got some water to put on the ground to cool it off. The judge also told me that no where in the rules did it mandate that the dog had to sit so I shouldn't even try it. We passed but I still wouldn't have the dogs outside over a ribbon.
    Living in Texas I have noticed where it can get so hot the dogs cant do much very long without needing to cool down plus you cant stay outside long either. I get a plastic kid pool from walmart every summer and put in the kennel so they have a place to go and cool down during the middle of the day. I guess I worry more about a dog overheating than getting to cold where I live.

Mine stay in a covered kennel. If it gets real cold they go in the garage ( which doesn't happen to often in setx ). Wife won't let em in the house and she does the house cleaning so unless I want to start sweeping and mopping the dogs stay outside! !!

We know who wears the pants in her house.....
    p whipped comes to mind!!!!

lol...!!!!

just messing with ya.....

This is my first house dog and I would never turn back. The only down side is the hair