The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert Gates "The Quiet Fury"

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    From the above linked WSJ Gates article:

Wars are a lot easier to get into than out of. Those who ask about exit strategies or question what will happen if assumptions prove wrong are rarely welcome at the conference table when the fire-breathers are demanding that we strike—as they did when advocating invading Iraq, intervening in Libya and Syria, or bombing Iran's nuclear sites. But in recent decades, presidents confronted with tough problems abroad have too often been too quick to reach for a gun. Our foreign and national security policy has become too militarized, the use of force too easy for presidents.
    Today, too many ideologues call for U.S. force as the first option rather than a last resort. On the left, we hear about the "responsibility to protect" civilians to justify military intervention in Libya, Syria, Sudan and elsewhere. On the right, the failure to strike Syria or Iran is deemed an abdication of U.S. leadership. And so the rest of the world sees the U.S. as a militaristic country quick to launch planes, cruise missiles and drones deep into sovereign countries or ungoverned spaces. There are limits to what even the strongest and greatest nation on Earth can do—and not every outrage, act of aggression, oppression or crisis should elicit a U.S. military response.

Thank you for drawing our attention to someone Libertarians and "progressives" might also admire.
    Libertarians and "progressives" beating up and President Bush is nothing new.

Someone with some experience and "stroke" from within calling out this administration is noteworthy and unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I like Gates. He doesn't mind speaking his mind. He doesn't care that the sword can cut both ways. That's rare in our Partisan world
    So I'm curious as to your reaction when this "man of your dreams and true American hero," replied that GWB's "War on Terror" had not only ruined our economy, and lowered our status in most of our Allies eyes, but had also made us LESS SAFE from terror?

would like to see your source for the above quote ^^^^^^^

because from the research I have done about the excerpts from the book the only one I have found is this

In Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War, former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates writes that the optional war that President George W. Bush chose to launch in 2003 -- the invasion of Iraq -- seriously undermined the conduct of the necessary war in Afghanistan, the conclusion of which still bedevils U.S. foreign policy today: "President Bush always detested the notion, but our later challenges in Afghanistan -- especially the return of the Taliban in force by the time I reported for duty -- were, I believe, significantly compounded by the invasion of Iraq. Resources and senior-level attention were diverted from Afghanistan. U.S. goals in Afghanistan -- a properly sized, competent Afghan national army and police, a working democracy with at least a minimally effective and less corrupt central government -- were embarrassingly ambitious and historically naive compared with the meager human and financial resources committed to the task, at least before 2009."
    In order to make Gates book credible, I would hope that he is critical of GWB.....

I will abstain from drawing any conclusions until I have read the book in its entirety and in context
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Gates would have been more credible to me if he had spoken up before the last election. He allowed the country to be stuck with this administration for another 4 years. There are so many examples of this type of tough talk it makes me sick. Do it when it will actually mean something. Same with all the reporters who now stand up and question Obama... Where were they for the last 6 years?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Gates would have been more credible to me if he had spoken up before the last election. He allowed the country to be stuck with this administration for another 4 years. There are so many examples of this type of tough talk it makes me sick. Do it when it will actually mean something. Same with all the reporters who now stand up and question Obama... Where were they for the last 6 years?
    Really, ???? The re-election of Obama is the fault of SOD Gates? The Media? Does your Obama derangement syndrome run that deep? Obama will not be elected again. Get over it.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Really, ???? The re-election of Obama is the fault of SOD Gates? The Media? Does your Obama derangement syndrome run that deep? Obama will not be elected again. Get over it.
    It is a continuation of all of the various public figures who come out with damaging info about Obama... Most of them had the information before the election but held it. There are other examples. There are others still holding damaging info.

No derangement... Just disgust at what the man has done to the office, the discourse and the country.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    It is a continuation of all of the various public figures who come out with damaging info about Obama... Most of them had the information before the election but held it. There are other examples. There are others still holding damaging info.

No derangement... Just disgust at what the man has done to the office, the discourse and the country.
    Can you cite specific examples, or do you wish to talk in vague generalities as usual. I understand your dislike of Obama. Most dislike him, (view approval ratings).

Can you suggest an alternative. How about Christie? If not Christie? Who?
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Jdogger tryin to hijack thread! (Amature)

I will bite though.

How about Dr. Ben Carson?

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I do recall reading commentary/excerpt where Gates seemed to speak rather well of Hillary. However, he wasn't around by the time Benghazi happened. He might think less highly of her of he had been inside the inner circle then.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I don't think Gates is much of a politician and there for probably does not care to much for sides. I really do appreciate what he did for our war efforts. It was such a refreshing delight when he took over for Rumsfeld.

I am sure that he has seen Obama in his most exposed moments, where he was working through his own doubts on the best course of action for the country and the high costs in American lives based on his decisions. From the passages I am have read he doesn't seem to hold him in contempt or even disagreed with his actions. I think it is very interesting to see how the president wrestled with these decisions and how resolutely he acted after he decided. I look forward to the book also.

I think he was spot on about Biden also. I am certain that Joe is Obama's insurance policy so that no one would dare assassinate him.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Jdogger tryin to hijack thread! (Amature)

I will bite though.

How about Dr. Ben Carson?

Gooser
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=amature

and
    http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/car...1/07/id/545793