The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the Clicker

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    What was the purpose for which they were used?

Alas, as Eug intimated, helping Sal Mineo "take a good line" in Method Acting without proper Queen's English...

MG

Jen,

The cricket (not clicker) was a device issued to US paratroops on the D-Day drop. The idea was that troops about to engage in close quarter battle at night could distinguish friend from foe with a simple device that could be operated by a man lying prone or in cover; I have no idea how useful or effective it really was.

In the movie "The Longest Day" Private Martini (as played by Sal Mineo, I'd forgotten that, thanks Mike) operates his cricket and receives what he takes to be a response from another US soldier. In fact it's a German infantryman operating the bolt of his Mauser K80 rifle; Martini heaves a sigh of relief, stands up and promptly gets one in Middle America.

The British were far more clued up in this identification business and only recruited their airborne troops from Birmingham men with their distinctive accents. They would issue the challenge "Orl roite yow?" and if they didn't receive the proper response "'Sit gorra dow with yow $hityead?" would issue 30 rounds of .303 from a Bren gun.

Mike will confirm this no doubt.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 01-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    The British were far more clued up in this identification business and only recruited their airborne troops from Birmingham men with their distinctive accents. They would issue the challenge "Orl roite yow?" and if they didn't receive the proper response "'Sit gorra dow with yow $hityead?" would issue 30 rounds of .303 from a Bren gun.
    Aer ouite keed on the airborne end but don't forget that great wartime drama with Sir Noel Coward at the helm (originally titled "In Which We Click" - or "Clique" in the lingua franca...)

as the definitive Royal Navy epic defining water work with the clicker.

As for boots on the ground presentation you cannae go wrong on "English" Labs' clicker training with a rousing rendition

by the Sweetheart of the Forces (but not of force fetch), Dame Vera Lynn with, er, Roll Out the Barrel...

MG

Jen,

I hope you got that. Suffice to say the first two paragraphs of my reply to your question are the truth as best I know it. As for the rest ...

Love and kisses, it's been a month and more of water induced cabin fever; Jaysus its been raining and blowing, we're all going dotty.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 01-10-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Thank you for the history lesson on crickets! Glad to see this thread developed into something educational.

It never ceases to amaze me how many different accents exist in England. Funny they could use that to their advantage!

Think I'll start calling my clicker a cricket from here on. Less controversial that way maybe...

Hope your weather breaks soon! xx

It never ceases to amaze me how many different accents exist in England. Funny they could use that to their advantage!
    I regret the bit about the Birmingham accent was a fabrication; just an in-joke between me and Mike.

Using a dialect or language that the enemy can't understand or replicate has an old history, but one of the most famous from the US point of view was the Navaho Code Talkers of WWII. Look them up, theirs is an interesting and touching story. In Afghanistan today when our Welsh regiments are deployed, all Forward Air Control and inter unit radio is conducted in Welsh just to bamfoozle the wily Talibs who listen in.

Eug

Eug, hurray for Hollywood and all that rot, but you're too modest on that bloody mitre of yorn - c'mon, let's have the piccie again - as a mobile CIA listening post. Of a fashion, anyhow - well, not quite this kind of fashion - but it's as good ear for intel as the official station next door in Gloucs.

And if ever in the field of human conflict, Winston had used a cigar cutter -

"Though he had received, and would continue to receive, cigar cutters as gifts, he did not use them, instead notching his cigars for smoking in two ways: either by cutting a small V-shaped gash on the head or by piercing the cigar with a large match, the blowing through the opposite end to clear a passage.
    - mightn't it have gone a long way in imbuing Blighty with early confidence in the clicker?

Now Stay Up the Albion! - need a few clicks of our own to miss the drop zone these days, and who better but a Wolves man to push the buttons of operant conditioning, aye - even with the the grandly named Pepe Mel arriviste-ing his way to the Hawthorns last night...

MG

Hilarious post. Thanks for brightening up my Saturday breakfast. Especially our friends from across the pond. Very nice!
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Eug, hurray for Hollywood and all that rot, but you're too modest on that bloody mitre of yorn - c'mon, let's have the piccie again - as a mobile CIA listening post. Of a fashion, anyhow - well, not quite this kind of fashion - but it's as good ear for intel as the official station next door in Gloucs.

And if ever in the field of human conflict, Winston had used a cigar cutter -

- mightn't it have gone a long way in imbuing Blighty with early confidence in the clicker?

Now Stay Up the Albion! - need a few clicks of our own to miss the drop zone these days, and who better but a Wolves man to push the buttons of operant conditioning, aye - even with the the grandly named Pepe Mel arriviste-ing his way to the Hawthorns last night...

MG
    Thanks for all the history and the music. Very interesting!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Now Stay Up the Albion! - need a few clicks of our own to miss the drop zone these days,
    Dear oh dear, we can't be far behind you; I'll raise your Pepe Mel one Paul Lambert. At least Mel has the advantage of being an unknown quantity, he might be some good. The problem with Senor Lambert is we definitely know all about him and it ain't wonderful.

My cousin Carole is undergoing a big dose of chemo right now; she says she doesn't know which makes her feel worse, that or the shenanigans at The Hawthorns. Been a season ticket holder since she was about 12 poor lass, so she's seen it all. We went out for a long boozy lunch together a couple of weeks ago and she reckoned supporting Albion or the Vanilla was good practice for some essential life skills; you learned how to handle failure and disappointment!

She told me a tale about Graham Williams (the dirty sod) that made me laugh; it might even be true. When he was trying to play George Best (ie kick him up into the stands) George gave him a terrible time, a real runaround. "Will you stand still for a bloody minute so I can look at your face George?" "Why?" asked Bestie. "Because all I've ever seen of you this afternoon is your arse disappearing down the touchline!"

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 01-11-2014 at 06:35 AM.