The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much hunting do you do with your dog?

Default How much hunting do you do with your dog?

Since work is so slow, I've had Trap out at least 5 times a week since September.
    How many here have their dog for hunting as the main reason?
    Ive had lots of time to hunt this season, and Trap has made at least 250 retrieves.
    Mostly marks, with just a few blinds.
    I train to make him a better hunting dog, but thru the training, have been able to get him going into the senior level of hunt tests.
    Do you hunters run the tests to keep sharp, and see just how well your meat dog does in tests?
    I am into a well mannered, well trained, companion, and mainly run the tests as an affermation of my training.
    Yep, we make mistakes, dont know all the ins and outs about the games, but we sure have fun doing it.
    Pass or fail, hes still going home with me, and is still my buddy.

I hunt my dogs starting each October in North Dakota and finishing the end of January in South Carolina. I also run hunt tests from February to September. I do not hunt test during waterfowl season as I hunt 3-4 days each week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

Hey Mark - definitely have mine for hunting first and running tests comes in second. That said, with work and life in the way I have only been out hunting a handful of times this year and dog has picked up about 25 birds in real hunting situations this season. My current dog started (with me) in juniors and we have worked our way up to masters with some successes and failures along the way. This current dog is my 4th lab and is a total joy to hunt over and I attribute that to the training and hunt testing - that keeps me training year round. With the other dogs I didn't run tests and didn't train them as intensely after basics. They were always fun to hunt with but not like the senior/master level dog I have now that is super steady, marks well and can handle quickly to the birds when needed.

I hunt 2-3 times a week from the time grouse opens mid-September to the end of December. The rest of the year is just training and being a regular ol' dog.

Primarily a duck hunter & a pheasant hunter in November. Run HRC tests March thru OCT. Train year round but slack off in summer as we live in Central FL

During hunting season we generally hunt at least a couple times a week. Any days we aren't hunting we are scouting for ducks and geese. With a few days of pheasant hunting tossed into the mix. Prior to hunting season and after the season ends I try to get out to a pheasant release game farm when I can. We train all year, and run a few hunt tests but hunting is the main focus.

I'm one of the luckiest guys in the world.
    I live on a 600 acre private estate sculptured for dog training and stocked with game all year round.
    Not only do we have multiple dogs but multiple breeds of dogs ,so the variation in hunting adds to the flavour.
    The busiest period is August - January ,starting with Grouse on the 12th Aug,Partridge and Duck starts in September ,October is in full swing with Pheasant added to the mix. Snipe and woodcock are not in numbers until around November,and anyway !! The Geese arrive around that time!!.
    February is shooting duck on coastal or tidal water .March/April is our 'drilling' period on crops so the Migrant wood pigeons are in Big Numbers !
    May and June is Rabbits! (The very best is Bolting them from the hole with ferrets!) That will steady your dog . July is somewhat quieter where Deer is on the menu !
    Couldn't do all that with one dog though!
    http://www.polmaisegundogs.co.uk/
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I have mine mostly for hunting. I hunt most weekends through the waterfowl season. I haven't taken mine out for doves the past two season though due to the hot weather( Southern Ca.) and her age (11). She has retrieved @ 100 ducks so far with 3 weekends to go. I did get a new pup this December and she will be a hunting dog as well. Out here in the south west I have noticed many of the hunting tests happen during our hunting season. I did run my first Lab through Sr. hunting test just for the experience for the both of us, however my current dog has never run in a test. I plan on getting the pup into the tests again.
    I was just thinking the other day aboout the numbers of birds retrieved by the dogs I've had. I would eztimate the first dog retrieved a couple of thousand(s), the current dog in the 1000 area. The pup may be even fewer due to the dwindling numbers available, but then again I hope to retire in a few yaers and that will open up more opportunities. But its always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I'm one of the luckiest guys in the world.
    I live on a 600 acre private estate sculptured for dog training and stocked with game all year round.
    Not only do we have multiple dogs but multiple breeds of dogs ,so the variation in hunting adds to the flavour.
    The busiest period is August - January ,starting with Grouse on the 12th Aug,Partridge and Duck starts in September ,October is in full swing with Pheasant added to the mix. Snipe and woodcock are not in numbers until around November,and anyway !! The Geese arrive around that time!!.
    February is shooting duck on coastal or tidal water .March/April is our 'drilling' period on crops so the Migrant wood pigeons are in Big Numbers !

May and June is Rabbits! (The very best is Bolting them from the hole with ferrets!) That will steady your dog . July is somewhat quieter where Deer is on the menu !
    Couldn't do all that with one dog though!
    http://www.polmaisegundogs.co.uk/
    I see you're in Scotland, are we somehow related. Very impressive place.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    I see you're in Scotland, are we somehow related. Very impressive place.
    Probably!
    My Grandfather was well travelled .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever