The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much hunting do you do with your dog?

Average 25-35 days per season. Stopped early this year becasue of weather.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Hunting 1st and for most the test game does make them better
    Hunters and can be addicting but I have yet to see a test come close
    To real hunting situation, that being said live flyers all year long help
    Enjoy the ride its all about the fun and being with ur bud !

SoCal; Niland area, or AZ Phoenix. Go hunting on Sat AM; Hit the HT or FT on Sun. Duck hunting Sun. morning is usually a bust; If you go out in the HT-FT, you go quail-dove hunting in the afternoon. There really is a science to all of this

Alas I bought a house and haven't been able to go out as often as I like, I've been duck hunting only ~ 4-5 times, and I haven't had time for quail, 2nd season dove and/or chukar. This time last year the dogs were practically hairless, haven't had time to run any HT-FTs either. I mean what fun is there really in running a test during hunting season if you can't at least scare the locals with the beat-up working condition of your hunting dog .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 01-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    SoCal; Niland area, or AZ Phoenix. Go hunting on Sat AM; Hit the HT or FT on Sun. Duck hunting Sun. morning is usually a bust; If you go out in the HT-FT, you go quail-dove hunting in the afternoon. There really is a science to all of this

Alas I bought a house and haven't been able to go out as often as I like, I've been duck hunting only ~ 4-5 times, and I haven't had time for quail, 2nd season dove and/or chukar. This time last year the dogs were practically hairless, haven't had time to run any HT-FTs either. I mean what fun is there really in running a test during hunting season if you can't at least scare the locals with the beat-up working condition of your hunting dog .
    Looks as though we hunt the same area. I hunt Wister in Niland for waterfowla nd the same area for doves. Been hunting the area since @ 1985. We'll have to meet sometime.

I hunt from sept 1 thru end of dec propably six days a week hunt two dogs.I run some tests but basically have dogs for hunting.The biggest problem I have is letting the dogs get over on me hunting and this does come back to get you in trouble running tests sometimes.

I am hunting from September to February for waterfowl, mostly geese. might try spring snows, Only very few hunts that my dog is not there. I used to keep track of my hunts but its about 50-60 days. January is the only month that I don't hunt as much. Testing for us usually starts in April and I end it in September but may run a few in the fall this year. Hunting dog first and tests for fun. I love to train my dog and meet people and that's whats cool about the tests for us.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Between guiding and hunting the majority got out 47 days this year. (7dogs at home) I am blessed with a great job/ ample vacation and an understanding wife! Plus we got to be grandparents this year and she went to see the grand babies... No Arkansas this year as the Mrs. says Mexico after this cold weather. AKC HT's, NAHRA and a few FT's in the warmer months, maybe HRC this year as well.

5 to 7 days a week Sept 1st through the first week of Dec in Wi and ND!

AS much as I can muster....

Mark, I think Trap needs a break. Drop him at my place and take Bridger and Garrett. They need the work.
    Chuck