RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How much hunting do you do with your dog?

5K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  swamprat II 
#1 ·
Since work is so slow, I've had Trap out at least 5 times a week since September.
How many here have their dog for hunting as the main reason?
Ive had lots of time to hunt this season, and Trap has made at least 250 retrieves.
Mostly marks, with just a few blinds.
I train to make him a better hunting dog, but thru the training, have been able to get him going into the senior level of hunt tests.
Do you hunters run the tests to keep sharp, and see just how well your meat dog does in tests?
I am into a well mannered, well trained, companion, and mainly run the tests as an affermation of my training.
Yep, we make mistakes, dont know all the ins and outs about the games, but we sure have fun doing it.
Pass or fail, hes still going home with me, and is still my buddy.

#2 ·
I hunt my dogs starting each October in North Dakota and finishing the end of January in South Carolina. I also run hunt tests from February to September. I do not hunt test during waterfowl season as I hunt 3-4 days each week.

Attachments

#3 ·
Hey Mark - definitely have mine for hunting first and running tests comes in second. That said, with work and life in the way I have only been out hunting a handful of times this year and dog has picked up about 25 birds in real hunting situations this season. My current dog started (with me) in juniors and we have worked our way up to masters with some successes and failures along the way. This current dog is my 4th lab and is a total joy to hunt over and I attribute that to the training and hunt testing - that keeps me training year round. With the other dogs I didn't run tests and didn't train them as intensely after basics. They were always fun to hunt with but not like the senior/master level dog I have now that is super steady, marks well and can handle quickly to the birds when needed.

#6 ·
During hunting season we generally hunt at least a couple times a week. Any days we aren't hunting we are scouting for ducks and geese. With a few days of pheasant hunting tossed into the mix. Prior to hunting season and after the season ends I try to get out to a pheasant release game farm when I can. We train all year, and run a few hunt tests but hunting is the main focus.

#7 ·
I'm one of the luckiest guys in the world.
I live on a 600 acre private estate sculptured for dog training and stocked with game all year round.
Not only do we have multiple dogs but multiple breeds of dogs ,so the variation in hunting adds to the flavour.
The busiest period is August - January ,starting with Grouse on the 12th Aug,Partridge and Duck starts in September ,October is in full swing with Pheasant added to the mix. Snipe and woodcock are not in numbers until around November,and anyway !! The Geese arrive around that time!!.
February is shooting duck on coastal or tidal water .March/April is our 'drilling' period on crops so the Migrant wood pigeons are in Big Numbers !
May and June is Rabbits! (The very best is Bolting them from the hole with ferrets!) That will steady your dog ;). July is somewhat quieter where Deer is on the menu !
Couldn't do all that with one dog though!;)
http://www.polmaisegundogs.co.uk/

#9 ·
I'm one of the luckiest guys in the world.
I live on a 600 acre private estate sculptured for dog training and stocked with game all year round.
Not only do we have multiple dogs but multiple breeds of dogs ,so the variation in hunting adds to the flavour.
The busiest period is August - January ,starting with Grouse on the 12th Aug,Partridge and Duck starts in September ,October is in full swing with Pheasant added to the mix. Snipe and woodcock are not in numbers until around November,and anyway !! The Geese arrive around that time!!.
February is shooting duck on coastal or tidal water .March/April is our 'drilling' period on crops so the Migrant wood pigeons are in Big Numbers !

May and June is Rabbits! (The very best is Bolting them from the hole with ferrets!) That will steady your dog ;). July is somewhat quieter where Deer is on the menu !
Couldn't do all that with one dog though!;)
http://www.polmaisegundogs.co.uk/
I see you're in Scotland, are we somehow related. Very impressive place.

#8 ·
I have mine mostly for hunting. I hunt most weekends through the waterfowl season. I haven't taken mine out for doves the past two season though due to the hot weather( Southern Ca.) and her age (11). She has retrieved @ 100 ducks so far with 3 weekends to go. I did get a new pup this December and she will be a hunting dog as well. Out here in the south west I have noticed many of the hunting tests happen during our hunting season. I did run my first Lab through Sr. hunting test just for the experience for the both of us, however my current dog has never run in a test. I plan on getting the pup into the tests again.
I was just thinking the other day aboout the numbers of birds retrieved by the dogs I've had. I would eztimate the first dog retrieved a couple of thousand(s), the current dog in the 1000 area. The pup may be even fewer due to the dwindling numbers available, but then again I hope to retire in a few yaers and that will open up more opportunities. But its always fun.

#13 · (Edited)
SoCal; Niland area, or AZ Phoenix. Go hunting on Sat AM; Hit the HT or FT on Sun. Duck hunting Sun. morning is usually a bust; If you go out in the HT-FT, you go quail-dove hunting in the afternoon. There really is a science to all of this ;)

Alas I bought a house and haven't been able to go out as often as I like, I've been duck hunting only ~ 4-5 times, and I haven't had time for quail, 2nd season dove and/or chukar. This time last year the dogs were practically hairless, haven't had time to run any HT-FTs either. I mean what fun is there really in running a test during hunting season if you can't at least scare the locals with the beat-up working condition of your hunting dog ;).

#16 ·
I am hunting from September to February for waterfowl, mostly geese. might try spring snows, Only very few hunts that my dog is not there. I used to keep track of my hunts but its about 50-60 days. January is the only month that I don't hunt as much. Testing for us usually starts in April and I end it in September but may run a few in the fall this year. Hunting dog first and tests for fun. I love to train my dog and meet people and that's whats cool about the tests for us.

#17 ·
Between guiding and hunting the majority got out 47 days this year. (7dogs at home) I am blessed with a great job/ ample vacation and an understanding wife! Plus we got to be grandparents this year and she went to see the grand babies... No Arkansas this year as the Mrs. says Mexico after this cold weather. AKC HT's, NAHRA and a few FT's in the warmer months, maybe HRC this year as well.

#21 ·
i have 2 finished dogs that i hunt. typically trade them out each morning. get to go 3-5 days a week minimum. run test right up until season. hunt and don't train much till this time of year as its winding down. About to get back on a training schedule getting ready for the Grand.

#22 ·
Meat dog guy. Average about 30 to 40 days for pheasant and waterfowl. All Good!

#28 ·
I only get to duck hunt on the weekends. However, I make the most of it and am hunting every Saturday. I also get to work a couple of Pheasant Tower shoots so my dogs get a decent amount of birds each season. Once the season is over we run Hunt Tests the rest of the year. I'm ran Derbies and will start running Qualifiers with my 2yr old dog. My old guy is 10 and really starting to show his age. All he does is hunt now.

#30 ·
I use my dog as much as possible for hunting, I take A LOT of leave from work during hunting season to make sure my pup gets HIS hunting in! Its all about him once season opens! ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.