The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: luxating patella

Default luxating patella

not too long ago my dog developed a weird intermittent problem and when I say intermittent I mean that it only happened a couple of times.what happened is she will go on a hard run and make a turn and she will pull up and have a little lameness in her rear leg for a few steps and then go back as if nothing had happened.she has only done this to our 3 Times in the last year but it was cause enough for me to make a visit to the vet. the vet thoroughly exam in the leg any and could not find a problem.

the reason I am posting this right now is that she had the problem occurred last night running after a ball and turning a hard corner she land for about 3 or 4 steps and then went back to normal. I am off to the vet again but I really don't know what to tell them since the last time they came up with no injuries.

she's a hard runner and can jump is high she and shows no sign of lameness except for these three or four occasions in the last year other than that she's completely fine

I don't really know what to tell them that since he has not found anything in the past

Ask if this could be a medial patellar luxation. Grade I luxations the patella returns to it's normal position and the exam includes flexing and extending the stifle while applying lateral digital pressure to the patella to determine if it will luxate, if might be necessary to do the exam with sedation.

I think a change in vet is in order. I know of no orthapedic vets around here. When I described the problem my vest was a little stumped. He said basically since he is showing no sign of pain he has no way of knowing if there is anything wrong

Have a look at my thread on Luxating Patella - last post yesterday
    If you play their game train the way they train

Took to a new vet. Finally found one to take the time to evaluate and image the leg. Bad new is she has a slight meniscal tear... good new is that she feels it's treatable. Kennel rest for about a month if that doesn't lick it than surgery. At least I have a solid answer now.