The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: First Timer

Default First Timer

I'm a first timer so bare with the questions please!

We hunt SW Louisiana rice fields and marshes. I just put a deposit on my first lab. A yellow male out of Texas Sire: FC AFC Fish Rivers Out of the Park "Homer" Dam: Winwood Double Espresso Go To "Layna" Hoping to get a good pup!

Anyway, I've hunted WITH labs a long time and handled them in the blind and helped some with training but never actually trained. I have a few local amateur trainers who are friends to help. My goal (God willing) is to have a good dog in the blind. Good blind manners, works on a whistle and hand signals etc, trusts me on a blind, marks well.

I've read on here different suggestions on books and DVD's. Hillman Puppy, Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings, Danny Farmer Retriever Training Basics, and some people have also recommended Water Dog. I've read some of Water Dog since a buddy had it and it seems good, but maybe a little dated since it was written a while ago.

I guess my question is: Is there ONE of these that will help more than the others? I'd like to stick to one methodology of training so I don't confuse the pup and for that matter myself!

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by ADB391 View Post
    I'm a first timer so bare with the questions please!

We hunt SW Louisiana rice fields and marshes. I just put a deposit on my first lab. A yellow male out of Texas Sire: FC AFC Fish Rivers Out of the Park "Homer" Dam: Winwood Double Espresso Go To "Layna" Hoping to get a good pup!

Anyway, I've hunted WITH labs a long time and handled them in the blind and helped some with training but never actually trained. I have a few local amateur trainers who are friends to help. My goal (God willing) is to have a good dog in the blind. Good blind manners, works on a whistle and hand signals etc, trusts me on a blind, marks well.

I've read on here different suggestions on books and DVD's. Hillman Puppy, Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings, Danny Farmer Retriever Training Basics, and some people have also recommended Water Dog. I've read some of Water Dog since a buddy had it and it seems good, but maybe a little dated since it was written a while ago.

I guess my question is: Is there ONE of these that will help more than the others? I'd like to stick to one methodology of training so I don't confuse the pup and for that matter myself!

Thanks for any help!
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new pup. After reading through multiple pages of the war you just started you will find that you still have to make up your mind for yourself. Pick one, start, stick with it. Good luck. This should be good!

Hahaha my sincere apologies in advance for any ensuing war!

One I didnt see you mention is Smartworks.

I was in the same boat as you 7 months ago.
    I ended up picking smartworks and it has worked out so far, but we have a long way to go.
    It is pretty thorough and if you have any questions, Evan is a member here and willing to help.

My advice is read and learn everything you can about training and dog behavior. There is no right way or wrong way, I have waterdog and use it as a basis for drills. It is dated but even though most wont admit it almost everyone has used Wolters methods in the past. There is a lot of "NEW" stuff but that stuff is mostly tools. When waterdog was written the retrieve-r-trainer was brand new and the E collar wasn't even thought of yet. All tools can be useful. It sounds weird but what I am finding is become a student of your dog, he will tell you what he is ready for. The whole game is obedience from manners to the most complicated blind its obedience. Look at the E collar but also look at the operant training most call it clicker training take what you like from what you learn and apply it discard the other stuff there are some really helpful people on here and there are some trolls. Just remember you bought the dog and you feed him and you invest your time in training him don't let anyone talk you into something you don't want to do.
    proverbs 12:10

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! I'll check out Smartworks too.

Thanks again,

Tony

No problem. BTW Smartworks is my favorite too. IMO it is the most clear and concise for a new trainer like yourself.

I watched a quick YouTube video of Smartworks and really like it. It's what I'm looking for as far as not just what to do, but HOW to do it.

I think I may go that direction but there's ton's of DVD's. Just start with the puppy program and work my way up?

Quote Originally Posted by ADB391 View Post
    I watched a quick YouTube video of Smartworks and really like it. It's what I'm looking for as far as not just what to do, but HOW to do it.

I think I may go that direction but there's ton's of DVD's. Just start with the puppy program and work my way up?
    My friend....Just pick one to your fancy and go for it.
    Enjoy...