The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Hillman into Lardy (program question)

Default Moving from Hillman into Lardy (program question)

Just curious to hear from those who have done it...

When did you transition from one into the other?
    For example; Did you move from the puppy program then start from the begining of Lardys TRT ?
    Or did you move from Hillmanns puppy program, then into Hillmanns force fetch, then jump right into Lardys program after the force fetch (so picking up Lardys program around simple casting).

Weather is still horribly cold here so I'm just sitting around thinking and watching dog videos. My next pup I plan to use Hillmann puppy then go into Lardys TRT and was just contemplating how I want to move from the puppy program into the total dog program.
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 01-08-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: My iPad refuses to accept that Hillmann has two Ns

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Marissa I don't know if you are interested , but I am having Pat Burn's (he worked with Lardy for years) here for 4 days in May for a training group. We will be using my grounds , here in Lake Winola, as well as some grounds in surrounding areas. I have two spots open , let me know if you want more info
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Yes PLEASE!!! I'll PM you.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

What I've done with my last couple of dogs is move from Hillman's materials into a more traditional method after hold. It's a pretty seamless transition.

Thank you everyone so far for the help and those of you too that sent me PMs.

Marissa Everett

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    Thank you everyone so far for the help and those of you too that sent me PMs.

Do you mind sharing some of the PM's. I have the exact same question.

Thanks.

GW

I too am at the crossroads. I am in the final "days" of the Hillman's Puppy DVD. I could not be more pleased in the results I have so far. I am now about to begin the dreaded force fetch sessions and am confused having watched Hillman's Fetch Command DVD. The approach in is drastically different from that of the Puppy DVD. The Puppy DVD seems to be a more traditional style with the exception of using the collar vs. the ear pinch.

If anyone would like to share their experience with the "Fetch Command" DVD I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Captzig View Post
    I too am at the crossroads. I am in the final "days" of the Hillman's Puppy DVD. I could not be more pleased in the results I have so far. I am now about to begin the dreaded force fetch sessions and am confused having watched Hillman's Fetch Command DVD. The approach in is drastically different from that of the Puppy DVD. The Puppy DVD seems to be a more traditional style with the exception of using the collar vs. the ear pinch.

If anyone would like to share their experience with the "Fetch Command" DVD I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott,
    It doesn't have to be dreaded....Start with hold and do small steps. Let your dog tell you when he or she understands. That is the key...The hold process is foreign to them so show and praise....letting them know that you are pleased. That is why IMO bonding is so important early on. You can do it. There is no time stamp on this so take your time. Make sure the OB is strong....
    Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GW10 View Post
    Do you mind sharing some of the PM's. I have the exact same question.

Thanks.

GW
    I won't quote the PM's because if the persons who sent them to me wanted them posted they would have done so butttt...
    Basically, following some advice, I will be following Hillmann then starting Lardy from the beginning as if I didn't do anything with the dog yet then follow his program through.

I hope to be lucky enough to train with a group often and will probably seek Pro help at some point when I need help... Because I'm sure I'll be needing help... Haha....

Marissa Everett

If you follow Hillmann's sequence: Puppy DVD, Fetch Command, Fundamentals Land and Fundamentals Water, you would essentially be through Transition in Lardy's flow chart. Hillmann doesn't do everything the same, but the dog would essentially be in the same place--running elementary cold blinds on land and water, cheating singles done, lining and casting drills, etc. Why wouldn't one then move on to advanced work instead of going back and doing the basics and transition again?