The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from Hillman into Lardy (program question)

If you follow Hillmann's sequence: Puppy DVD, Fetch Command, Fundamentals Land and Fundamentals Water, you would essentially be through Transition in Lardy's flow chart. Hillmann doesn't do everything the same, but the dog would essentially be in the same place--running elementary cold blinds on land and water, cheating singles done, lining and casting drills, etc. Why wouldn't one then move on to advanced work instead of going back and doing the basics and transition again?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    If you follow Hillmann's sequence: Puppy DVD, Fetch Command, Fundamentals Land and Fundamentals Water, you would essentially be through Transition in Lardy's flow chart. Hillmann doesn't do everything the same, but the dog would essentially be in the same place--running elementary cold blinds on land and water, cheating singles done, lining and casting drills, etc. Why wouldn't one then move on to advanced work instead of going back and doing the basics and transition again?
    Mostly because I have the Hillmann puppy DVD and the all the Lardy stuff already...

So instead of buying MORE DVDs I could just start over and follow Lardy. Then when I'm stuck and people ask me "well did you do x y and z from the program?" I can reply "well yes, yes I did."

Or maybe I will just skip the Hillman all together....I just thought it seems like an 11 week old pup won't be ready for the Lardy DVDs so it was something we could complete before moving into the TRT program.

Marissa Everett

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

Marissa,

I did Hillmann puppy into Hillmann fetch and then started the Lardy basics. I did not do ear pinch FF but I did do a very brief CC a la Lardy just to make sure my pup understood the collar after the Hillmann stuff (which she seemed to). The transition was smooth and easy and the Hillmann puppy stuff got my dog well prepared for basics. I would recommend using Hillmann puppy into Lardy and whether you do a Hillmann fetch or traditional ear pinch style FF I think is a bit of a personal decision depending on the trainer and the dog.

Since this will be your first "Hillmann" puppy, if you find you like his style of training and developing the dog, I would encourage you to keep an open mind about using his Fundamental videos as well. Lardy's program (and the successes of those who follow it) certainly speaks for itself. As Double Haul mentioned, both programs have similar elements, and will get you to the same place. The beauty of Hillmann's program (IMO), is the simplicity and efficiency. The seamless flow from a 3 month old fur ball to a dog ready for advanced work is unique in it's presentation. There is no "formal" start to training. There is no "ok, today I start to crack down on Fido". Each day builds on the next, and skills are advanced through lots of practice and repetition. All this is done with a very upbeat dog that loves every bit of it. I find it to be a great way of training for someone with a single dog that may not have frequent access to training groups and outside help. Bill also have several Youtube videos that are geared towards the solo trainer.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Thanks everyone. I have a pretty good idea now how I'm going to proceed once my pup arrives!

Marissa Everett

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?