RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Moving from Hillman into Lardy (program question)

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Marissa E. 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious to hear from those who have done it...

When did you transition from one into the other?
For example; Did you move from the puppy program then start from the begining of Lardys TRT ?
Or did you move from Hillmanns puppy program, then into Hillmanns force fetch, then jump right into Lardys program after the force fetch (so picking up Lardys program around simple casting).

Weather is still horribly cold here so I'm just sitting around thinking and watching dog videos. My next pup I plan to use Hillmann puppy then go into Lardys TRT and was just contemplating how I want to move from the puppy program into the total dog program.

#2 ·
Marissa I don't know if you are interested , but I am having Pat Burn's (he worked with Lardy for years) here for 4 days in May for a training group. We will be using my grounds , here in Lake Winola, as well as some grounds in surrounding areas. I have two spots open , let me know if you want more info

#9 ·
I won't quote the PM's because if the persons who sent them to me wanted them posted they would have done so butttt...
Basically, following some advice, I will be following Hillmann then starting Lardy from the beginning as if I didn't do anything with the dog yet then follow his program through.

I hope to be lucky enough to train with a group often and will probably seek Pro help at some point when I need help... Because I'm sure I'll be needing help... Haha....

#7 ·
I too am at the crossroads. I am in the final "days" of the Hillman's Puppy DVD. I could not be more pleased in the results I have so far. I am now about to begin the dreaded force fetch sessions and am confused having watched Hillman's Fetch Command DVD. The approach in is drastically different from that of the Puppy DVD. The Puppy DVD seems to be a more traditional style with the exception of using the collar vs. the ear pinch.

If anyone would like to share their experience with the "Fetch Command" DVD I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Scott

#8 ·
Scott,
It doesn't have to be dreaded....Start with hold and do small steps. Let your dog tell you when he or she understands. That is the key...The hold process is foreign to them so show and praise....letting them know that you are pleased. That is why IMO bonding is so important early on. You can do it. There is no time stamp on this so take your time. Make sure the OB is strong....:)
Good luck to you.

#10 ·
If you follow Hillmann's sequence: Puppy DVD, Fetch Command, Fundamentals Land and Fundamentals Water, you would essentially be through Transition in Lardy's flow chart. Hillmann doesn't do everything the same, but the dog would essentially be in the same place--running elementary cold blinds on land and water, cheating singles done, lining and casting drills, etc. Why wouldn't one then move on to advanced work instead of going back and doing the basics and transition again?

#11 ·
Mostly because I have the Hillmann puppy DVD and the all the Lardy stuff already...

So instead of buying MORE DVDs I could just start over and follow Lardy. Then when I'm stuck and people ask me "well did you do x y and z from the program?" I can reply "well yes, yes I did."

Or maybe I will just skip the Hillman all together....I just thought it seems like an 11 week old pup won't be ready for the Lardy DVDs so it was something we could complete before moving into the TRT program.

#12 ·
Marissa,

I did Hillmann puppy into Hillmann fetch and then started the Lardy basics. I did not do ear pinch FF but I did do a very brief CC a la Lardy just to make sure my pup understood the collar after the Hillmann stuff (which she seemed to). The transition was smooth and easy and the Hillmann puppy stuff got my dog well prepared for basics. I would recommend using Hillmann puppy into Lardy and whether you do a Hillmann fetch or traditional ear pinch style FF I think is a bit of a personal decision depending on the trainer and the dog.

#13 ·
Since this will be your first "Hillmann" puppy, if you find you like his style of training and developing the dog, I would encourage you to keep an open mind about using his Fundamental videos as well. Lardy's program (and the successes of those who follow it) certainly speaks for itself. As Double Haul mentioned, both programs have similar elements, and will get you to the same place. The beauty of Hillmann's program (IMO), is the simplicity and efficiency. The seamless flow from a 3 month old fur ball to a dog ready for advanced work is unique in it's presentation. There is no "formal" start to training. There is no "ok, today I start to crack down on Fido". Each day builds on the next, and skills are advanced through lots of practice and repetition. All this is done with a very upbeat dog that loves every bit of it. I find it to be a great way of training for someone with a single dog that may not have frequent access to training groups and outside help. Bill also have several Youtube videos that are geared towards the solo trainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.