The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: timidness when doing T-drills

Default timidness when doing T-drills

My dog is probably about 4 or 5 years old and I just got him. He is a good dog and is pretty obedient. Every time I take him to the field to do T-drills, FTP, T, TT, anything of the sort he gets real timid as if I am about to beat him. If I give him a Back, Nick, Back he picks it up but when he returns with the bumper he slumbers down almost to the point where he is laying down on the ground instead of sitting nice and tall. Basically he has no excitement when doing the drills, any suggestions? I am not in control of the dogs training program we do the drills on a regular basis and the dog rarely ever receives pressure. How can I make it more exciting for him?

You may try throwing fun bumpers after every couple retrieves done on T pattern or FTP reward and praise keep the sessions short and upbeat

Do the t patern with only one bumper for a while. Dog on pitchers mound. Throw bumper to the base then cast. Do it in the same spot make it a fun retrieving game. If attitude improves add a bumper one at a time while still making one a throw then a cast to the throw. Sometimes this will make it more fun for the dog and bring them up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by derrekg123 View Post
    My dog is probably about 4 or 5 years old and I just got him. He is a good dog and is pretty obedient. Every time I take him to the field to do T-drills, FTP, T, TT, anything of the sort he gets real timid as if I am about to beat him. If I give him a Back, Nick, Back he picks it up but when he returns with the bumper he slumbers down almost to the point where he is laying down on the ground instead of sitting nice and tall. Basically he has no excitement when doing the drills, any suggestions? I am not in control of the dogs training program we do the drills on a regular basis and the dog rarely ever receives pressure. How can I make it more exciting for him?
    Certainly not with more pressure! You can't force style. Styling him up will probably take some time. Do things that should reasonably leave him with a desire for more.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

What is the dogs history? Can he mark? Has he been hunted? Was he previously force fetched and/or collar conditioned. Kind of hard to answer your question without having some background.

Quote Originally Posted by derrekg123 View Post
    What training has your dog had to lead to FTP? Is this a started dog, meaning dog has had some training before you got him? Did the dog had prior training maybe? Need input please....

We've done that and he kinda gets excited but as soon as I put him in the heel and send him back he kind of lazily goes to the pile and comes back. Then continues with the moping attitude when I take the bumper off of him. I usually try to keep the sessions short and alternate what we are working on. For example, we will usually run a few sends to the pile then do a far over left then back to the pile then a near right and then to the back pile maybe twice or three times and were done and opposite the next day. Far right, and near left along with the backs.

how long you been doing it? is he proficient? maybe one of those dogs that hates T work, and ready to move on.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

I am not sure of his history but he knows all of the "basics" and was trained from the beginning starting with FF along with collar conditioning walking fetch, walking baseball, three handed casting, t, tt, angle casting. not sure what else but this is what I have done with him personally in just a few months. He was pre trained but I have no clue on exactly what besides what i just went over

OK...If I am reading you right....Then be careful of too many drills....It can sour a dog's attitude real quick...If I am reading this right.....