The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Force Fetch Method and Whistle Commands

Default Force Fetch Method and Whistle Commands

Force Fetch:

I'm not sure if any of you know who Freddy King is on YouTube. I follow a lot of his videos, they are great.

I'm about to force fetch another dog and I'm trying to figure out which method I want to try.

Freddy King (Uses collar and ear pinch)

Duck Dog Basics (Momentary)

SmartFetch

All 3 seem really good and seem very easy to understand. If you have experience with any of these I'd appreciate letting me know which one you had the best success with and why.

Whistle Commands:

I've taught them like this:

Here: Command "HERE" then 3 tweets with a tug on the rope and that has worked for me. Any other methods that may be better? I just feel like some dogs wont get this everytime. Maybe try 3 tweets then here after awhile or just 3 tweets and a tug?

Sit: I heel with the dog and give a sharp tug when I stop along with a TWEET then say sit and repeat for days. Any other way to go about this that may be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs4life View Post
    Force Fetch:

I'm not sure if any of you know who Freddy King is on YouTube. I follow a lot of his videos, they are great.

I'm about to force fetch another dog and I'm trying to figure out which method I want to try.

Freddy King (Uses collar and ear pinch)

Duck Dog Basics (Momentary)

SmartFetch
    Uses ear pinch to fetch, then transitions to e-collar - continuous at first, transitioning to momentary (nicks).
    All 3 seem really good and seem very easy to understand. If you have experience with any of these I'd appreciate letting me know which one you had the best success with and why.

Whistle Commands:

I've taught them like this:

Here: Command "HERE" then 3 tweets with a tug on the rope and that has worked for me. Any other methods that may be better? I just feel like some dogs wont get this everytime. Maybe try 3 tweets then here after awhile or just 3 tweets and a tug?
    I start with a verbal command ("Here") coupled with a tug on the rope. I do this repeatedly for several sessions to condition an affirmative response prior to starting CC. To CC to "Here" I tie the verbal command with a tug and a regimen of continuous e-collar at the lowest level on my (Pro 500) e-collar. There is a sequence of conditioning during which the level rises, but that deserves more than a forum post to describe. When all of that is done we re-condition to whistle using nicks.
    Sit: I heel with the dog and give a sharp tug when I stop along with a TWEET then say sit and repeat for days. Any other way to go about this that may be better?
    I put the dog on a short lead and add the single whistle "toot" to a verbal "sit" command, and do that conditioning thoroughly before CC begins, which is done with nick reinforcement.

Are you currently deciding on a program, or have you followed one prior to this?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Uses ear pinch to fetch, then transitions to e-collar - continuous at first, transitioning to momentary (nicks).I start with a verbal command ("Here") coupled with a tug on the rope. I do this repeatedly for several sessions to condition an affirmative response prior to starting CC. To CC to "Here" I tie the verbal command with a tug and a regimen of continuous e-collar at the lowest level on my (Pro 500) e-collar. There is a sequence of conditioning during which the level rises, but that deserves more than a forum post to describe. When all of that is done we re-condition to whistle using nicks.I put the dog on a short lead and add the single whistle "toot" to a verbal "sit" command, and do that conditioning thoroughly before CC begins, which is done with nick reinforcement.

Are you currently deciding on a program, or have you followed one prior to this?

Evan
    I know about yours. I've watched it a couple of times and it's very easy to follow and your dogs are flying towards the bumper when you command FETCH.

I have mixed a couple programs together to train some dogs but I just don't have the force fetch method down that I want to use yet.

As for the whistle commands, how long does it typically take to see the dog start to know what you want? I know every dog is different I would just like to know a kind of time frame. Last dog I taught whistle commands took about 5-6 days.

I just wanna make sure I don't spend a week teaching whistle commands the wrong way and the dog still not know what the heck that noise is.

I know about yours. I've watched it a couple of times and it's very easy to follow and your dogs are flying towards the bumper when you command FETCH.

I have mixed a couple programs together to train some dogs but I just don't have the force fetch method down that I want to use yet.

As for the whistle commands, how long does it typically take to see the dog start to know what you want? I know every dog is different I would just like to know a kind of time frame. Last dog I taught whistle commands took about 5-6 days.

I just wanna make sure I don't spend a week teaching whistle commands the wrong way and the dog still not know what the heck that noise is.
    I would discourage you or anyone from holding a dog to a schedule or time frame. I formalize each whistle command individually. But I will have previously taught all the standard commands before formalizing any of them. The I take them individually and stick to sit, then CC. When you say you've seen my program, was the whole program or just one part; aka SmartFetch?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

it is very easy to teach a second cue for a behavior if the dog already knows one...

whistle - sit - behavior - re-enforcement

all in separate steps

pretty simple

eventually when you blow the whistle the dog will skip the verbal command to get (or avoid) the re-enforcement
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 01-08-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    Darrin Greene

I have Evans program but before deciding on which program I wanted to find the breeder I was getting pup from and ask their opinion on programs. So after getting pup I ordered Evans program in the time frame before I got the program I did what I had always done with house pets, a fist with a bend of the wrist and verbal sit. A flat hand held out sweeping downward with lay. I got my pup to understand this easily after she learned the verbal command, then I used the whistle for sit and my hand motion and my pup learned sit to whistle in a matter of a day, not 100% reliably but she understood one whistle if she sat she got a treat. She still does it to hand motion, verbal, and whistle, I am still not to the point in the program of doing it Evans way but I hope it is an easy transition. Here was simple I just blasted 3 times while nealing downward, my wife would hold her till I whistled than let her go again she caught on quick. To send on a retrieve I have not even started gonna have to do that when the time comes in the program. Again this ws before I got Evans program, I just spent some time while I was waiting for it doing something I hoped would be productive.

I just wish you would find something and stick to it... Your jumping all over with your threads and posts and dogs right now!
    Pretty soon you will get no replies to your threads.

Just pick something and go with it!
    Who cares what everyone else thinks. If you like the Smart stuff, then use it and go with it, if you like the Duck Dog Basics then use that and go with it... Just pick something and STICK TO IT, I don't know how many people have to tell you already ...

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Are you training others people dogs or just collecting them?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon