The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House manner problems

Default House manner problems

So I got my parents a really nice puppy by an FC/AFC out of a 500 pt HRCH this past summer. She's 8 months old and smart, athletic, crazy about birds and everything you want in a dog. Great energy but once she comes in the house she's calm and quiet. I'm extremely excited to see how she turns out. The only problem is she isn't letting my folks know when she needs to go outside. She goes in the kennel every morning when they go to work and stays int here most nights. They come home from work at lunch every day to let her out. She runs and plays for about 20 min and goes number one but won't poop. They go inside, my folks ( one or the other is home but not both) grab something to eat and check emails, etc. and it never fails...poop by the from door. I think she's a little immature, but she's been an inside dog since they got her. She's really sweet and really smart. We just can't figure out what we're doing wrong.

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

If I am reading this right, your parents really need to supervised the pup....JMO

In my opinion, the pup is not being set up to succeed with proper housebreaking. If she is pooping in the floor, that's her sign that she's ready to go. If nobody's paying attention to the sign, she's going to do it her way.

By repeat occurrence pup is being unintentionally trained that this is the routine. No letting pup roam the house unsupervised for many many repetitions of proper airing in the right place.

No checking email unless: pup is supervised. Or pup has already fully aired in the proper place.

Chances are good that one day she will figure it out. But the best route is for the folks there to supervise her. If they have a laptop, set a chair near the door, watch pup like a hawk, mess with PC while watching her, take her out when she's ready. Once she learns thAt she'll get let out and praised for giving he sign she'll get better at giving the sign.

If they must check email in a room away from the door, they should take pup with them and close the door so pup can't sneak off and poop. If she's consistently doing it near the door, that's a good sign that she's trying to get through the door to do it.

If our pups poop in he floor and we don't see it happen, it's not the puppy's fault.

Good luck. She'll get it.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Okay. Good deal. That what I told them as well and wanted to make sure that I was on the right page. My old man is 9 so it's been a while since I went through this stage. Can't thank y'all enough for the info.
    Trent

Has the dog pooped in the house in front of the owners and been too sternly corrected? If so, sometimes a dog will conclude (reasonably enough) that the owner doesn't want the dog to go when the owner is nearby. When the dog does go outside, the owners need to praise the pup. At this point, the dog may be firmly convinced she should never go in front of people. The owners may have to do a lot of walking outside with the dog before she finally HAS to go.

Ideall, they should tether the dog to them when inside and take the dog outside frequently. Eventually the dog will go outside and they can praise her. Eventually, they will catch her in the act of going inside. If that happens, scold gently while hustling the dog outside but immediately start praising when the dog is outside the door.

Another thing they can do is to put newspaper in the spot by the door where she keeps going. When they find a deposit, carry newspaper, with poop, out to a far corner of the yard. Weight the paper with rocks so it doesn't blow all over the neighborhood. Having the scent in the yard where they want her to go will help her get the idea.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

I have a bell that I hang on the back door. When they need to go outside, they ring the bells. I can hear it when sitting in the living room. I taught it by using simple association. Every time I went to let them out, I would say "outside", ring the bell, and then open the door and let them out. When they went, I'd praise them. Took them a couple times and they caught on. I trained my 2 oldest (3 and 6 at the time) and my youngest pup this way. Took the older 2 about a week to get it, the youngest (started at a little under 4 months when I got him) about 2 days. Using a treat can help too. Good luck.

Oh, and the bells I got cost me around $6 on amazon but I've seen them in store for pretty cheap, too.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Another thing to consider: if the pup spends most of her time (all day and at night) in a kennel where she can poop whenever she feels like it, she may not have really learned to "hold it". This is where the crate is invaluable to house train a dog, but supervision, as suggested above, can do the same thing. Dogs are creatures of habit; the way most pups are house trained is, they're aired with the owner present as soon as they get up, after they eat, after vigorous play, etc. and praised when they do their business outside. If the owner takes the dog outside and it doesn't do its business, dog gets crated (since they naturally don't like to soil their sleeping quarters) then aired again later.

I've had 8 or 9-mos. pups come back from being kenneled at the trainer's that needed "refreshers" in house breaking because even though they were housebroken as pups, they got used to going when they needed to instead of asking or letting you know they need to go out. It usually doesn't take long to teach an older pup, but you have to keep your eye on it at all times until you know it's reliable and crate it or leash it to you if you can't.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Thanks again for advice guys. It's awesome to see the different approaches.
    Jamee, I'd heard of the bell but never really considered it.
    Julie, I should have specified that by kennel, I meant crate. I'm sorry about that.
    PD, I've never heard of the news paper in the yard idea. That pretty neat as well.

Thanks again guys!
    Trent

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Goree View Post
    Thanks again for advice guys. It's awesome to see the different approaches.
    Jamee, I'd heard of the bell but never really considered it.
    Julie, I should have specified that by kennel, I meant crate. I'm sorry about that.
    PD, I've never heard of the news paper in the yard idea. That pretty neat as well.

Thanks again guys!
    No trick here then if she's crated.

If she goes out at lunch and doesn't poo, DON'T let her be loose in the house. She goes back in the crate.

Put her out when you arrive, put her back in the crate, no free time in the house. If you can put her out before you leave to go back to work, then do it again, but no free time in the house.

When you come home from work she'll more than likely poo outside but if she doesn't, she goes right back in the crate. Put her out every two hours until she does poo outside, otherwise back into the crate.

100% prevention of any poo in the house and keep her crated until she absolutely has her legs crossed on the way out the door.

Give that routine about a month and she'll be good to go, barring a health problem (which is possible but unlikely).

The only time she should be out of the crate in the house is directly after pooing in the yard, and then she should be 100% supervised.

Sounds rotten to have all that crate time but it's for the dog's long term good. It won't be forever.
    Darrin Greene

^^^ What Darrin said! Something else that helps is to teach her to go on command, it's more work in the short term but will pay off. You can't just open the door and let her out to do her business, you need to go with her and have a command like "hurry up" or "go potty" or whatever you choose, so long as it's the same command everyone in the household uses. When she does go, you praise her lavishly with "GOOOOD potty" (or whatever the command word is). If she doesn't go, back in the crate and repeat later. She'll get it and learn to go on command. This also comes in handy on road trips. You can't just kick a puppy out the door and guess whether or not it's emptied itself, it won't learn anything that way and you'll be depending on luck, prayers and hope for housebreaking rather than teaching the dog what you want. Whether it's 8 wks or 8 months!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981