The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane heater for puppy room???????

Default Propane heater for puppy room???????

I have a litter of pups coming next couple days and my downstairs garage just won't stay warm enough for me. I can keep it at 65 but I want it at 75 at least for the first few days.
    What if I put a Mr. Heater type heater with the propane heated top in there? They say they are just like the propane gas logs that you use for aux. heat in a camp or blind. Any risk of fumes?
    This is a single car garage that is pretty tight but it just won't stay warm enough for the garage door not being insulated and it has large window also.
    I can bring them inside the house if I need to but would rather do it in my puppy space.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

You'll eat up a lot of oxygen in a closed room like that and also put a lot of moisture into the air with the combustion process of propane. On top of all that, the risks of having animals around a flame and possibly burning your house down should have been the first thought as in ruling out this idea.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Get a infra red heater, or let her have her pups in the house......
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

You need good ventilation IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

We have been dealing with severe temperatures up here and trying to keep the kennel room off the house warm enough. We had been using the wall / ceiling heaters (like what you see in an ice rink) and they seemed to do a reasonable job at heating .... although not to the temp you are wanting for the pups. Had to replace one due to a burnt out heater and the new heater lasted a total of 15 days (I know .... made in China!)

Decided to change tactics and found an oil-filled heater at a hardware store here. I was concerned about the fact that this would be on the floor with the potential of being knocked over if the dogs were moving around in the room, but it has a safety shut-off if the unit were to be accidently knocked over. Although it started off slowly heating (and we thought we had made a mistake in buying the unit) once it started heating the air in the room we have been VERY impressed. You will still need supplimental heating for the puppies (heat lamp) but a unit similar to this would certainly help and you would not have the worries of fumes or an open flame.

This is the unit we got - http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ga...-0435994p.html

And I am sure you will find these heaters cheaper in the US!
    Last edited by The Snows; 01-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

Definately would not use propane. Get one or two red electric lights like they use in chicken coops and shine it inside whelping box. You can move it to adjust the right amount of heat.

Mike

I had a Buddy Heater in the cabin. Not sure who did bump the line feeding the propane to the lit stove but when I woke up the line had melted off and it was shooting propane directly into the open flame.
    The "woof..woof...woof" of the igniting gas burning off is what woke me up.
    If it was me I would use electric.
    Don

Dad burned down one of his kennels with an electric heat bulb and killed one of his bitches. Don

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    We have been dealing with severe temperatures up here and trying to keep the kennel room off the house warm enough. We had been using the wall / ceiling heaters (like what you see in an ice rink) and they seemed to do a reasonable job at heating .... although not to the temp you are wanting for the pups. Had to replace one due to a burnt out heater and the new heater lasted a total of 15 days (I know .... made in China!)

Decided to change tactics and found an oil-filled heater at a hardware store here. I was concerned about the fact that this would be on the floor with the potential of being knocked over if the dogs were moving around in the room, but it has a safety shut-off if the unit were to be accidently knocked over. Although it started off slowly heating (and we thought we had made a mistake in buying the unit) once it started heating the air in the room we have been VERY impressed. You may still need supplimental heating but a unit similar to this would certainly help and you would not have the worries of fumes or an open flame.

This is the unit we got - http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ga...-0435994p.html

And I am sure you will find these heaters cheaper in the US!
    We have used these type heaters for years in our barn and garage. They work well but I don't think you can get 75 degrees. The one in our 2 car insulated garage will keep it at 60 max. When it got down in the teens last week, it dropped off to about 53.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    I have a litter of pups coming next couple days and my downstairs garage just won't stay warm enough for me. I can keep it at 65 but I want it at 75 at least for the first few days.
    What if I put a Mr. Heater type heater with the propane heated top in there? They say they are just like the propane gas logs that you use for aux. heat in a camp or blind. Any risk of fumes?
    This is a single car garage that is pretty tight but it just won't stay warm enough for the garage door not being insulated and it has large window also.
    I can bring them inside the house if I need to but would rather do it in my puppy space.
    MP
    Without direct venting, you risk killing all the dogs. Electric or in the house. IR is a good option.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!