The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Eukanuba PP vs. Purina PP

Default Eukanuba PP vs. Purina PP

I'm switching from Euk 30/20 to Purina 30/20 because of last price increase. From everything I've read and heard they're both good food, and my dogs have done well on Euk for the last 5 or so years. The convenience of being able to go across the street for Euk isn't worth it anymore.

I'm interested in hearing from other people who have switched from Euk to PPP. The analysis says Euk has 385 calories/cup and PPP 475 calories/cup. Can I expect to feed approx 20% less on PPP?

Thanks in advance.

Sidenote, the guy at the local store asked me what I was switching to and why.....I said PPP. He said something about the food being made from an antifreeze by product or some such. I told him there was a $250,000 lab here in Memphis on PPP and that the antifreeze must really agree with him. The blank stare I got back was awesome. I wish I could've taken his pic.

Eukanuba and ProPlan sponsor our dog games in various ways, and I appreciate that. Having said that, there are better foods on the market. If you look at the source of some of their ingredients alone, there's reason to look elsewhere. I'm aware that there are probably hundreds of people on this board that feed one or the other with good results, and I'm sure they will chime in. Not all dogs do well on the same food, so find one your dog does well on and run with it. I don't think you're going to be able to feed 20% less of the ProPlan, but I suppose it depends on how your dog responds.

I have fed PP 30/20 for years and have been very happy with the results but as Charles C has stated it depends on how your dog reacts to it. Good luck!!!
    ROWDY ROCKY OF MONTGOMERY SH "Missed but never forgotten... Love ya Big Man"

I am happy with PP performance. The price of PP has increase but I am not changing. Dogs are healthy and coats great! Both Euk and PP are great supporters of FT HRC which is really good to have them onboard as sponsors.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I've fed pro plan since I got my dog in 05. Never changed, never had a reason to. As he's gotten older, I switched from performance to focus and the transition was smooth he's lost some weight, but he needed to anyway. However, I have nothing bad to say about Euk. My brother in law feeds it to his pups and they've done great since 09. Both are good. And both do a lot for our sport.

Ford or Chevy?
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The two foods have the same proportion of fat so they should provide dogs with similar amounts of energy. Very odd that they are that different. PPP has more moisture, so if anything it seems that it would contain fewer kcals than the Euk.

Ideally you would want to compare kcal/kg, too, in case they measure differently volume wise, but it appears Euk doesn't provide that info.

I thought PPP would be more dense? (weigh more by volume), but it weighed 3% less. 4 cups of PPP weighed 14.7 oz and 4 cups of Euk weighed 15.1 oz. I would've lost that bet.

PPP is 1928 cal/pound
    By my estimation 4.25 cups of Euk = 1 pound = 1636 calories
    Last edited by Jim Stevenson; 01-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Love pp 30 20
    HRCH Wagzu's Sound of Dixie--Echo
    Warbird's Little Call Girl--Hooker
    RIP Smokingolds Wild Child--Rebel

Purina Mills was started back in 1894 and it's still feeding my dogs. Use what works. Don

I made the switch last year from Euk 30/20 to PPP 30/20, all 4 of my dogs responded very well to the PPP.

I liked the EUK 30/20 but with the price increse the product was just no longer in the budget. I feel that I get a good product at a fair price with the PPP. In additon I have a very picky little YLF and she seems to really like the PPP 30/20.

Great energy levels, good coats and skin, solid stools.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

It is really hard to believe that many dog food brands are costing more than Purina. Someone might suggest to quit reducing the size of the bag, 50 lbs should be a standard!